Please buff guardian druid

This is what irritated me the most, why couldn’t this have been done week 1 into BFA? Literally every warrior was screaming to them in the Alpha / Beta threads to do it and they ignored it. Its downright pathetic.

2 Likes

Why does it feel like they are either ignoreing the issue or putting it off to the side? What’s funny is that they weren’t so slow nerfing the spec into the Earth’s mantle after the nighthold came out

https://i.imgur.com/G94llXO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7D132Sf.jpg

The reason they are ignoring it is that they have not learned the lessons that Travis Day learned with Diablo 3.

Travis Day - Be Generous

Travis learned that you do not have to be stingy and miserly with every single reward in the game, that you can code for higher drop rates and gear the game MUCH more toward the fantasy aspect, instead of mathematically balancing the game - or killing yourself trying.

Diablo 3 has a drop rate 10-15 times as high as Travis shipped it with. And they consistently have higher player numbers than WoW currently. He made these changes as he discovered that there are many answers to a problem, and th knee-jerk response of “Don’t give them too much or they will leave!” is just flat out wrong. This extends to every aspect of the game, not just rewards.

We have seen them deal properly with the fantasy aspect - WotLK and most recently Legion. They increased drop rates, and made true legendaries with epic powers available to pretty much the entire player base, and had really good subscriber numbers compared to right now with BfA. Yes they had rough spots, but those were 100% because they were trying to deal with the fact that they were going against their instincts to be stingy and miserly. And it worked out for them.

2 Likes

After thinking about this, it made a lot of sense. I play D3 still, hardcore crusader. Every season I usually come back and push as far as I can until I die. But the drop rate is so much nicer and it does keep me coming back. I don’t get bored from high drop rates, I just push higher rifts with the increase in gear. For awhile, I thought they’d do the same with Mythics, but they didn’t follow through really on the drops.

But that aside, while I love my druid, she’s pretty much shelved this expansion. Guardian just feels so Blah. Resto feels blah. I suck at DPS so i don’t play kitty or owl. My issue as Guardian is I feel that even as a hybrid, I have less functionality as a hybrid than even some of the pure tanking classes. I have worse self healing, no ability to heal my team (like a paladin). My mitigation is boring. I have to choose between doing damage or damage mitigation where my paladin does not have to make the same decision. Basically, I literally seem to fight insomnia when on my guardian. I don’t buy that whole “you get to have better situational awareness” argument. Sure, maybe I do, but it doesn’t do me a lick of good since I can’t do much about it. I have to talent for a gap closer. I have no ranged silence. Rage generation is poor. There is very little useful interaction between my abilities. really the only one is to reduce the timer on mangle, which at least to me always seems to proc during the last 1 sec of the mangle CD anyways.

At least between druid and paladin, it seems druid lost the most from the Legion to BFA transition from the artifacts.

3 Likes

That was me btw, not sure why it didn’t log me in on my paladin. Wasn’t hiding

Bear was the best tank spec for the entirety of legion and at least top 3 for all of wod. Is guardian in a bad spot right now? Yes it was overnerfed. Does it need to sit at the bottom for a bit? Absolutely.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of sitting at the bottom. Its a matter of sitting at the bottom with the least engaging play style. At least before it was at the top so it kept the poor game play tolerable. Now its towards the bottom with the most mind numbing game play of all the tanks.

2 Likes

One of the reasons I leveled my druid as guardian is it’s easier to live through mobs attacking you. Plus it’s my herbalist and you know how much herbs were in demand this expac. Prob also the only reason I still play on her, herbing, herbing, herbing. selling.

Worse yet, gdruids are boring. That’s the largest problem.

Second for me is that you can’t do stuff like support heal or dispell while tanking in bear form. I don’t have that problem on prot pal or brew monk, but druid is incredibly punishing if you want to help the group while also taking a cannon to the face…

3 Likes

Like clutch innervate for the healer that was oom, or b-rezzing your 2nd tank. Lots of interesting things have been removed that could be reworked and added back to add flavor and interesting gameplay.

Speaking of which, why the hell is shifting form on the “new improved and much longer” GCD? That’s the core of what we are, how we deal with the world and combat. It’s core to why we chose the class.

2 Likes

You make a valid point, as much as I want to disagree with you, as a Guardian main. But it has to say something when there is literally one class spec that is tanking more Mythic+ 15 and above than all the other classes/specs combined. Either they got something really right with Blood DK’s, and they should be tasking that team with helping the other classes, sharing knowledge… or they only really made an effort, took enough time, with Blood DK.

That goes beyond numbers tuning though. Blood DK brings Gorefiend’s and has the lowest “downtime” amoungst the tanks. If it isn’t Blood DK it would be Monk since RoP is one of the best abilities in the game for PvE content. Guardian doesn’t bring any utility that any other tank doesn’t have. All they have is Stampeding and a Battle Rez which Blood also brings.

Blood brings Gorefiends
Brewmaster brings RoP
Paladin brings healing and pretty much infinite interrupts
Warrior brings Shockwave, Commanding, and an AoE stun

Notice the two missing. Vengeance CAN be more easily solved with numbers and such since they bring utility in the form of their sigils (7 second long silence is REALLY good), but Guardian would need more to provide in order to be coveted in 5 man content. Guardian was able to get away with it last expansion when they were the tankiest tank that also did obscene amounts of damage with Luffa’s, but we are past that now. The tuning on Guardian IS poor I will give them that, but no amount of buffs are going to save that spec without a massive overhaul.

I definitely think Guardian should get buffed. 100%. The thing is that people who actually want Guardian to be the best tank class in the game again are asking for way too much and probably weren’t there preaching for other tank’s to get buffed when they were at their low. Looking at things like Brewmaster in early WoD and such.

2 Likes

Yep…I remember when bearcat was a thing. sigh