Playstation 5 Game Controller?

Hi everyone,

This is probably a longshot but does anyone have any experience playing Shadowlands with a Playstation 5 controller on Mac?

I got the native gamepad support working with a Xbox One controller. The PS5 controller works with other apps on the mac and the mac correctly registers the buttons pressed on the PS5 controller.

With the Xbox controller it says something like “Gamepad connected” in yellow in the chat but no such thing happens when the PS5 controller is connected.

I’ve tried both wired and with bluetooth.

The issue exists both on an Intel mac with newest Catalina and on a M1 mac with Big Sur.

As far as I can tell others have reported the PS5 controller works in Shadowlands on Windows.

Have you tried following the steps in this guide? As long as the OS can see the controller and assign the inputs in other apps and games, then WoW should be able to as well.

I did read that post and /console GamePadEnable 1 is what made the Xbox controller work. Other apps see the PS5 controller fine. It seems to be isolated to World of Warcraft.

I’m surprised WoW isn’t seeing it in macOS, as unlike Windows, HID is HID is HID in macOS. There is no differentiation like there is with DirectInput and XInput on the Windows/MS side. You don’t happen to have something else also handling your controllers do you such as USB OD, SteerMouse, or ControllerMate? If so, you may need to set the app profile to “disabled” for World of Warcraft in order to see the PS5 controller.

I’ve done some more testing and it’s getting a bit weirder. I didn’t notice before but the PS5 controller is recognized as a PS4 controller by macOS when connected through Bluetooth. Gamepad apps responds to the PS5 controller but Karabiner-Elements gets no input from the controller. Karabiner-Elements does get the input from the Xbox One controller.

According to this post on Apple Support forums the PS5 controller doesn’t work with any current macOS nor iOS versions. Another post about AppleTV issues claims iOS 14.3 beta adds support for the PS5 controller. I’ll see if I can get it working with the Big Sur 11.2 beta.

I’d test, but no PS5 to work with. Nor do I want one at the moment. I’d rather have a sweet, sweet SecretLabs Titan XL (or the regular Titan WoW version).