Playing WoW my way, Hyug the Barbarian

I think kill quest would be in order. “Hey, stabby boy, go kill this monster for me,” seems like a legit action for a barbarian. No, you won’t deliver letters or gather 20 pretty feathers, but chopping up some local marauding monsters would be right you your ally.

2 Likes

“He can do what he wants, as I’ve said.”

1 Like

In retail I have 28 level 120s. My goal was one of every subspec (37) but I may not reach it. When Classic came out, I switched to Classic, leaving my 120s unfinished.

That is what is so wonderful about WoW – there isn’t a single “intended” way to play.

A Blizzard dev bragged about this in a 2016 public interview. He said that “less than half the playerbase” does anything in WoW: raiding, pvp, Mythic, pet battles…he listed several other things.

3 Likes

Hyug is now 11. Some stranger tried to get me to assist her on a quest. Of course, Hyug said no. No quests.

I can make a few decent items with LWing now, but I’m having terrible luck farming light hide as in so far I’ve gotten zero. Considering skinning is near 100 and LWing is 80ish, I find this surprising.

I’ve also had two green weapons drop, both daggers so that’s terrible.

I did venture into Westfall to kill some coyotes to see if I could get some light hide at lvl 10, and that was a bit too scary. I did get some coyote meat though, so I have my first buff food and that should help.

I have now explored all of Elwynn killed countless boar, bears and a few defias and a few sad kobolds too. I’ve come upon a few larger groups of Defias and I just avoid them. Taking on packs is going to be a no go playing this way. Playing no deaths adds a fear of mortality to it all. I imagine as lvls build this fear will become stronger.

When you are playing this way every little incremental improvement feels much larger.

5 Likes

I think his whole idea just flew over your head.

“He can do what he wants, as I’ve said.”

Well thank god he has your permission.

Well a barbarian would run quests. Barbarians did tasks for money and occasionally took up mercenary work or pillaged. In fact I’d expect barbarians to be the likely class flavor to do quests than any other ones. The difference would be barbarians would do quests only if it promised good loot, treasure or money. What you’re talking about sounds more like an outdoorsman or ranger.

1 Like

I get what your saying. I was just thinking the LW would fit into his fantasy and be better than the original only grey and white items. It can fill in the gaps between armor drops and such.

But you are right, it isn’t ideal at all.

I just like the idea of the “challenge” aspect. :wink:

1 Like

He doesn’t need it. I’m not paying his sub. That’s why he can do what he wants.

Yes, the other reason to do LWing is the challenge of it all.

That said Hyug grinded his way to 13 today and is resting by the cooking fire near Sentinel Hill. I finally got one light hide today and made some stamina and spirit legs. I have +13 stam and +8 spirit with crafted greens. The weapon situation was getting really bad. I bought a 2H white quality mace in SW while training up some LWing there. I’m up to medium leather now. Cooking is going to max out at 150. I think it’ll be level 30 before I can safely make it to the book in Ashenvale.

I did find a rare today in the far northeast corner of Elwynn today north of the murlocs and the defias mage islands. There are tons of gnolls up there and the 12 rare dropped me an 8 slot bag which is helpful. So Hyug has 1 8 slot and 3 6 slotters now, so I can carry my junk to vendor. The gnoll was Fedfennel. I also killed an 11 rare Thuros Lightfingers but he dropped a crumby shield.

Talents are a yes. Ironman says no, but I would think a true Barbarian would hone his skills. I did add a modifier to this; no respecing ever. I’m going arms for now but will want that 5% crit in fury soon.

I’m undecided on the prot tree, but last stand can be a real life saver… and I may need that.

I did have a rule of not accepting help from other players, but I can help other players. I helped a lock on their blueberry quest today. When they pulled the defias mobs from the house, I charged and killed the collector then helped on one of the others. I’m sometimes a nice Barbarian, and I already hate the Defias.

2 Likes

I think that’s an awesome way to play. Keep up the write up!

It reminds me of old diabloii dot net single player forums where people would write journeys of their characters.

It’s too bad Hyuge can’t read or he would know that light hide has a pretty lousy drop rate anywhere but SFK.

1 Like

When I first started this game years ago, I knew nothing about it. Had no clue about guides and such. I just explored and played.

And it was fun.

Now I look things up and get advice and read guides. Try to play efficiently and get objectives done.

But there is a simply joy sometimes, in just playing. :wink:

Dude’s chronicling his adventures on a public forum. That ain’t “just playing”.

I love it. Limiting yourself and playing your way is a VERY fun (also grueling) grind. Some of us love the grind. I would probably have rolled him on a RP server, but that’s personal pref.

As far as gameplay choices: I would say any found or looted items are usable…He would be resourceful as he is a barbarian and a loner. Maybe accept the warrior quests as they feel very barbaric, and epic. To keep it epic maybe you also accept quests that have more than 5 parts. What drives the barbarian, exploration? survival?

cool post bro

great post…it amazes me the salt some others have for playing the way YOU want to play. I literally had to leave a group while leveling this toon after a particularly virulent paladin literally would not shut up about my spec, in our 40s, in maraudon, after many pulls, and no deaths (I was full prot…wtf)

OP: I will look forward to updates on your toon…no dying at all? sounds pretty tough.

1 Like

You see that dense forest across the river?

Have you been? Or do you not swim well?

1 Like

Well Hyug has looted 4 light hide and made two items which help bring up his stamina and agility. Yes it has a lousy drop rate, but when you are skinning everything in sight instead of running quests, you get more hides.

I do see that dense forest across the river. It seems a little dark and foreboding at this point. I will investigate it one day, but not soon. I hear there are evil spirits and very powerful wolves over there. I plan to skin them all.

Hyug did finally get some green weapon drops today and trained 2H swords. I need to make it back to IF and train 1H axes too. I’ve been training all weapons right after leveling, especially unarmed. I do not want to die to a disarm mob.

I may also blog this with all my screenshots. I also made a Hyug hunter in retail. I will lvl to 120 (hopefully) using the same concepts. The hunter will never have to enter a city either thanks to the trainers in the starting cities.

1 Like

People giving ret pallies crap is stupid. Our guild has a ret pally and we gave sulfuras to him. We also have boomkin too. This content is not hard enough to be gatekeeping specs or how you want to play.

2 Likes