Playing with a controller

Didn’t Blizzard with this patch make it so the game is compatible with a controller or did they not do this?

I believe the changes to the game were internal to allow for addons to be made to support controllers. I don’t believe it’s an actual setting or integration into the settings of the base game.

There are several addons out that boast controller support, but I have not tested any out.

Yes. There is a command out there that you can type in chat to enable it. Search for it and you’ll find it.

As for the new native support I did try it initially but found it was kinda lacking - however I have to point out that I was totally new to using the controller for Wow at the time. I cant remember what limitations it had…

But I do know that using the consoleport addon mostly solved all the issues.

Between using Immersion and Console Port I have a pretty good setup (also use Sexymap and Bartender but Bartender is not really for this just my default without controller).

Still getting used to it and have occasional issues but its VERY good for melee characters. I love the sense of freedom it allows and its refreshing to explore Azeroth or do whatever casual content you wanna do with it. I am not proficient enough to attempt mythic + keys, and pvp was kind of a disaster.

Its also more challenging to use with a caster but can be done.

Just keep in mind its good to have a couple modifier keys (Console port auto sets this up) in place of say control or shift.

I also have the 4 little directional buttons on the left side of the controller to do:
Auto-run, mount, and world map.

The default Consoleport makes your select button auto open bags.

Major things to do are set your Auto target shift hold command and your interact with mouseover in order to talk to questgivers or NPC’s.

Goodluck!

1 Like

Thanks for the input, I didn’t know there was a command for it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, Chaosbeast… I also found this if it helps. This looks like a comprehensive guide to using a controller for WoW.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/guide-to-the-new-gamepadcontroller-support-in-901/683913

They did add in APIs but the intent wasn’t really to have native controller support themselves. It’s more to make things easier for the third parties that develop the addons/etc for people who want/need to use a controller (eg. people with disabilities).

1 Like

Tis silly. They ought to go whole hog on it and sell a game pad themselves with some extra buttons. They would make a killing.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the information! I’ll have to look into it. I feel like playing a DH on a controller would be a lot of fun

1 Like

Upon startup cursor is dragged to the left and is fixed until ive tabbed out and in. When trying to play with an xbox controller, doesn’t work.

Things I’ve tried doing were /console GamePadEnable 1, launching different games such as warzone, and resetting settings. Works with other games but has stopped working with worldofwarcraft. Thank you for your time.

I like playing with a controller I don’t really have too many buttons for my class so it is easy to use the XBOX controller to play WOW.