Ping, Latency, Disconnected since 9.2.5 - It's the game, not our ISP

There have been many of us, myself included, that have been experiencing major ping, latency, and disconnection issues since 9.2.5 came into effect this week.

Seems like Blizzard, and Blizzard support admins, are keen to blame our ISP and NOT the game. but that obviously isn’t going over well with the community when you read the current topics.

Yes, I know there are other threads open - [Pacific Northwest] You have been disconnected. (WOW51900328)

Like that one specifically, but the issue is not being resolved here. Blizzard, what is next? Look into it.

It’s a problem on Wave, I’ve seen Xfinity users reporting it, and I personally have CenturyLink.

I’ve tried the VPN work around mentioned in current threads - no luck
Used hot spot - 100 difference in home latency, didn’t cause too much of a difference considering it’s over 7,000
Uninstall, install again, addon folder removal, interface suggestions, all of it

Lots of mad customers here - what’s the solution?

13 Likes

Sorry, but Blizzard does not control the routes that different ISPs use to get to their servers. The ISPs themselves pay their routing peers for the routes taken, and as such, the ISP is the ones responsible for maintaining that route.

Now, if you would post a WinMTR ran for around 10 minutes maximum while you are experiencing the latency issues, and a dxdiag so that your issue can be looked at and diagnosed, then please do so. Otherwise, your particular issue wont be able to be handled. Just to note, if using a VPN or alternate connection allows you to bypass the issue, then it is most definitely on the ISP to resolve.

1 Like

As mentioned, a VPN and Alternate connection do not solve the issue. And all this arose after the patch and many people report it ONLY with WoW and not any other games.
Speed tests show it’s not related to that and it’s something with the servers that were created and many people keep stating and showing the same thing

4 Likes

You’ve posted 0 actionable data in this thread.

How about posting the winmtr results?

2 Likes

ok so let’s be fair unless you are a Community Manager, Game Master, or Dev you should not be demanding to see others private info. I had the same issues since launch but after the Leatrix update and a restart of my computer my ping was 350 MS to 600Ms.

I do see why you asked for such info but conspiracy folks will think you folks are trying to get into their computers. please be more careful about this unless you have one of the 3 titles as before mention and if you do please post from one of those accounts.

So for lastnight I hit 1300+ MS and couldn’t help my guild raid heroic Anduin and i’m not sure if they got him down. but today I was forced to do a reboot due to some updates not a big deal and my MS is back to around 65 on an EST Server and i’m in PST zone. so until today I had been experiencing this issues since the patch but the only thing I did was update Leatrix plus. Not saying this will help people but as a network tech outside of gaming it has helped a little to stream line the latency.

This is not a fix all it very well could be your IP and the routes it takes but just ry and see if it helps.

3 Likes

You’re way off here. The instructions at the top of the forum specifically say to include this test if a connection issue is suspected.

If you prefer to troubleshoot with the community/blue posters and see if anybody else is having similar issues, start a thread with this information:

For all technical issues:

1. Windows users only - create a text copy of your DxDiag using these instructions. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here
  1. A list of any troubleshooting you’ve performed already.
  2. A description of what you’re doing when the problems happen, any error messages received, and what it ‘looks like’ to you when it happens.

:red_square: Connection, Installation, or Voice Chat problems include this as well: :red_square:

• Some WinMTR tests to the server group you’re playing on. If you can’t log into the game, just run the test for 5 minutes while having login issues. Otherwise, run these tests while the problem is actively happening. If you catch a disconnection or latency issue with the test, it will make it easier for us to find the problem.

:warning: Note that not all threads may receive a reply from support staff. :warning:

For more info, see: Common Technical Issues and Solutions - #23 by Drakuloth

2 Likes

I’ll add my name here too. Been getting disconnects, probably 5-10 times an hour since 9.2.5. SWTOR, FFXIV or GW2 play normally. Sometimes it takes several tries to log back in. Only WoW is having this problem. Hell even Fortnight is working perfectly fine.

I have Starlink and Verizon, both connections are having these problems, one isn’t worse than another.

7 Likes

Same advice. Start a new thread with your WinMTR or people will just be guessing at the source of the issue.

2 Likes

No offense, but I’ve been PC gaming long enough to know that its just a waste of time on my part. Problems don’t get solved unless there is a lot of people having the problem. Adding my “info” has not once done anything for me.

Again, no offense, just how I feel about it.

9 Likes

So you just came to let someone know there’s a fire… somewhere? Ok then. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

If I’m responding to a thread about connection problems, and explain that I’ve been having connection problems… You didn’t understand the “fire” or problem I was having?

2 Likes

I understand that you think your issue is related, but no one in this thread has provided any actionable data. We’ve outlined the steps for getting help, without the requested data, there’s nothing more to discuss.

4 Likes

You failed to provide any actionable data to diagnose your problem. Just stating “I have a connection issue” without the data is basically the same as calling the non-emergency line and telling the operator that answers that you have a fire, but not giving the address where the fire is.

2 Likes

Is there an echo in here? I said both of those points above, Jetsum.

1 Like

Some people just don’t get it unless it is reiterated to them multiple times. Your information was spot on, but the person did not seem to understand so I reiterated the same information. And, we posted fairly close together so I did not even notice we used the same words until afterwards. Keep up the fantastic work you have been doing as I have learned a lot from you in this forum.

2 Likes

In defense to them. This same thing happened in the previous threads people just say “its your isp fault not blizzard” on the threads people actually put in the information required it’s usually “yeah there seems to be a problem” or “yeah i cant tell”. A thread next to this one with Elocin doing that same thing, just says charter problem doesn’t elaborate on how to fix it.

So theres no point in posting the information if it’s going to lead to nothing.

3 Likes

For future reference, the standard connection troubleshooting documentation offers the steps to take when experiencing an issue. Anytime I mention them, I get the response “I tried everything already, this is Blizzard’s fault.” So, beyond doing those steps, I don’t want to give anyone the impression that I can fix their faulty ISP connection or equipment.

2 Likes

I have no connection issues (CenturyLink). I can stay connected for hours, and my ping will stay in the 25-30 range the entire time. So it can’t be a problem with the game, otherwise it would affect everyone, including me. Clearly, it doesn’t.

You’re going to have to run and post a WinMTR as others have mentioned. Saying it’ll do no good and offering no data to diagnose the problem will accomplish precisely nothing. Blizzard won’t look into one person, or even a hundred, simply saying “I have connection issues” with no data for them to go on. That’s like bringing your car to a mechanic and telling them that it has a problem. Then when they ask what the problem is, simply yelling “FIX IT!” at them.

If you want results, you have to provide the information necessary for results to be accomplished. If you don’t want to do that, then you can sit there are scream at the nearest wall for a while, as it will accomplish just as much.

Hint: Even using multiple connections can route through the same problematic node (or even a different problematic one) on the way to Blizzard’s servers.

1 Like

That would be because if it is a problem for the ISP, then contact the ISP to fix it. The end user can do nothing other than contacting the correct people to fix it…which in the case you are referring to and if it ISN’T a Blizzard issue, would be the ISP.

I did a full reinstall of the game and I still had one disconnect.
After some days I played again and I haven’t had a disconnect. Also I’ve been installing the add-ons I really need.
Additionally, there was also an update from blizzard.
All of this during last week.