Picking your brains about a guild idea!

I wanted to float an idea out and see if people are interested.

I have a character that I’ve played since Vanilla, but two transfers ago (Scarlet Crusade —> WRA ----> Moon Guard) and through time and circumstance most of the people I’ve played with have moved on, or I’ve lost contact. This means I have a character with a lot of baggage, but little or no connections.

Though my own fault, it feels incongruous to have a character who has been there for most of the major battles, but has no roots in the community. Not a complaint-- bear with me.

I feel like there are others in the same boat. People who have characters, new or old, that should be more connected than they are. Or people who just have a real need to have built-in friends, family, comrades-in-arms.

So this is what I’m proposing: a guild in which the characters have known each other already for some time.

The details can be flexible, worked out ahead of time. Founding members, probably a small group, could decide when they met and have sort of in-character flashback scenes where those participating could, say, meet during the war in Northrend.

It would take some delicate roleplaying to make it work in the present while characters retroactively make connections, but I think it can be done. When did your character most feel in their element? When were they most “them”? Let’s go back to that moment, together, and give our characters roots.

If you’re feeling disconnected, I’m hoping this is a solution. If no one has interest in a guild, but wants to do this anyway just to make friends outside of a guild, that is cool, too! Not everything has to be cloistered away inside of a guild.

Please whisper me in-game, respond here, or send me an in-game letter if you want to talk about this.

Thank you. (I’m really bad at this kind of thing… hopefully this made sense. If you like the idea and have decent people skills, I need you. Lol.)

9 Likes

This is actually a super-cool idea. I kinda love it. It makes a ton of sense, and I could see this kind of thing easily fitting into most backstories. Even if these friends and acquaintances weren’t huge parts of a character’s past (in order to remove the need for retconning), they could still be acknowledged for the smaller fixtures they were, leaving the way open for truer, deeper development in the present.

2 Likes

I really like this idea. I don’t roleplay this warlock much (forums won’t let me change characters for reasons unknown!) but I do have a human hunter who I’m now working on. I use to play her character/character concept on Argent Dawn in Europe, but obviously I had to create her from scratch once I got to MG. So she is also a character of “old” but now lost all her connections since they’re all in EU. I’m definitely interested! Not sure when you’re normally online and/or if you have discord or something such?

3 Likes

Thank you both for your replies!

I am usually more active in the evening, and am about one hour ahead of server time-- but I’m around here and there whenever. I’ve added both of your character names to my friends list in the meantime.

I do use discord, but I am not on there all the time. I think it is Trilink#2365, do feel free to add me.

Thanks!

2 Likes

With the framing of the new leveling squish, ie Chromie Time where you pick an expansion story to level through, you may even be able to ICly have an excuse for the details on some stuff being murky, or not ‘remembering’ / mentioning a new member until current, as it’s just a wrinkle in that timestream being worked out and/or someone that ventured there via that method instead. Bronze flight, Infinites, all sorts of ways to make those old plot holes and the sudden filling of gaps into a new story in and of themselves. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Details have to be flexible there is no way around that honestly.

Every character is unique in different in their own way. People literally RP the Lizardfolk Sethrak? Dragons OF ALLLLLLLLLL DRAGONFIGHTS. And so on…

1 Like

This idea is genius! If you need a hand ironing out any details, or bouncing ideas off of anyone, I’d love to help you out!

1 Like

This is actually a great idea. I’ve played since BC and have toons that I’ve done guilds with but now the players have pretty much left years ago. I come back from breaks hoping to find friends like back in the “good old days”. This would be a great place to start imo.

1 Like

What is the name of your Hunter? I’ll add 'em to my friends list, and your lock as well.