Physical authenticator

I want to buy a physical authenticator but I have discovered they no longer make them or offer them for sale. I have no cell phone (yes, as astonishing and unbelievable as it sounds, I live and survive very well without a cellphone and don’t want to get one). One day my authenticator battery will run out. Do I just take off my physical authenticator and leave my WoW game unprotected.? Or, if the battery runs out and it asks me for my number (I have it set not to ask) I’ll be locked out. Customer service can take forever and I don’t want to be locked out for a long time. I may not even be able to get into my account. What would I do or is there anything I could do to prepare?

Unfortunately, as you learned they no longer make a physical one.

By chance, do you have a tablet, or any device that has the Google Play store, or The apple store, like an ipod or something?

It does not need to be a phone specifically, just anything with access to one of those stores and can run the app.

Hope this helps

5 Likes

To add to what Mastadon said, even if you get an old second-hand phone/tablet/etc., they can be used as a standalone device without cell service and just wifi to use the authenticator too. There are plenty of cheap options out there.

As for how difficult it is to remove the physical one when it dies, it will definitely require a ticket to Blizz. If you do it before the device fails, then it’s pretty simple.

6 Likes