Phase2 cannot release until server population is under control

They are definitely in something of a pickle, I will give you that … IF we don’t see an exodus of tourists. We just passed the first month. If at the end of month two the current participation count is holding … then holy crap, lol. Classic could just end up being way more popular long term than they thought was possible. Guess we’ll see how it plays out.

1 Like

removing layering wont’ increase queues. from everything i’ve heard layers just spread the population between layers. it was done to spread the initial populations out so we didn’t have over a thousand people in barrens at the same time.

that said, layers will also help people at 60 on full servers. having 3500(if thats accurate) in farming zones will be a tight squeeze with some areas likely hard to camp 1 npc spawn without sharing it with a few other people.

lets not even get into trying to farm nodes or things like devilsaurs. supply vs demand on top of everyone in same layer trying to farm will all be a mess. one layer isn’t enough to supply a full server.

reason i think layering should be removed. i could see a lot of people transfering once layering is gone.

of course that’s all assuming pop doesn’t drop like a rock by phase 2 anyways, its lasted longer than i thought but the newest retail patch did its job on that.

1 Like

Yes. We know. Everyone knows.

I get what you’re saying, but at the current 3500-ish people per layer now, even on high (Not even full) pop servers the capital cities look as packed as I’ve EVER seen them back in the day.

Are you suggesting that they can or should multiply that player density by 2-9x and also increase the respawn rates of every resource node and creature on the server by that amount? I’m not computer game designer myself, but I’m pretty confident that would be literally unplayable. Certain streamers have already launched big 1000 vs 1000 player wPvP conflicts that have crashed an entire server and that conflict itself was largely taking place all on just 1 of the 5-9 layers that exist on that server.

I dunno man, I don’t think that the game would even be playable if there were literally 5k characters running around in Orgrimmar at once.

3 Likes

It seems like they are already scaling back on layering. Could be coincidence but for the last week I always log in to the same layer as my wife which never happened in the first weeks after launch.

I initially thought this too, but I don’t think it’s the case. Look at the wording in this thread:

The fact that Kaivax specifically mentioned worse queues when layering turns off makes me think it will affect server population caps and thus queues.

2 Likes

i think they should but i think i’m a bit vindictive towards the playerbase that kept asking for something to be done and then most never doing anything when they got what they wanted. so i may be biased.

everyone had the option(to start on the new servers and then to transfer) and anyone with common sense knew what was coming if pops didn’t crash hard.

blizzard just needs to pop those paid transfers up and remove layering. again, i may be a tad biased here.

1 Like

well, thank you much for that reply. that used to be my assumption but kept getting told otherwise. that’ll teach me to believe what others say when they show no proof.

just remove layering, its bandaid, that have to go sooner or later… blizzard cant really do anything about people choosing to pile up on certain servers, dont choose a full server !

Aye, Remove layering
Dynamically priced server transfers based on faction population vs opposing faction pop probably not a bad idea either

My main concern is that even on Medium pop servers(there are no low pop currently) will still greatly feel the impact of layer removal. We have to remember that a medium pop server now is twice as big as a high pop server during original vanilla.

1 Like

I can live with that, there were ques in classic… There already been threads about why layers is bad, or how it long term probably already had some big impact… but ultimatly before phase 2, layers will be gone, so just remove it

It doesnt matter, if blizzard sticks true to their word then layering should be gone by the end of blizzcon at the latest.

Was this sarcasm? I can’t tell anymore with these forums…since retail over ran us.

1 Like

They will do what they’ve been doing. Opening up new realms, drop a layer, let folks see queues hoping they move. That’s how they plan to remove layering by phase 2.

Remove layering by phase 2 wasnt the promise. The promise was remove layering in a few weeks to couple months, such that by phase 2 layering was gone.

It would have been better to design it to where the world is sharded, but the world bosses aren’t. The game just isn’t designed for this many people. When layering is gone, this game is going to be a trainwreck. You think farming or tagging mobs is hard now? Wait until we’re not split up between layers.

People will be in queues. they said they were going to have vanilla realm pops after layering is removed

1 Like

Yes. Why not just have a tree of servers that merge together as population decreases. This isn’t the live version where people believe at least that realms will continue forever. We know ahead of time that the population will be much less once all the content is released. If people had confidence that low pop realms wouldn’t be left to linger the queues on the heaviest realms wouldn’t be as long and they could even open more realms to transfer to and then reabsorb them if their populations drop below a certain level. At least the server community you start with is kept in tact and the compromise seems less to me than layering has been.

2 Likes

Imagine trying to down Kazak on a world with 15,000 people and only 1 layer. Any time someone near him dies he regent massive amounts of health. On a PvP server this will be absolutely nuts. I’m fully prepared to bathe in all the cries these forums are bound to receive from their guild being smashed repeatedly by multiple guilds every time they engage kazak. Lol