Pet leveling. What am I missing?

I want to level several pets. Best way I have been told is to find trainers and battle them. But every single one I have found brings lvl 25 pets to the fight and my lvl 1;s won’t survive long enough to get any experience. What the heck am I missing? I do NOT want to run around battling wild pets for the paltry xp they give when every guide I find tells me to fight trainers.

You generally need leveling teams to level against trainers - teams that 1 or 2 level 25 pets do most of the heavy lifting and you funnel the xp onto the 3rd low level pet. You also have to be selective of what trainers you go up against and at what level. Some trainers will have pets that do damage to backline pets that may outright kill a level 1 pet on the first hit, but a level 15 pet could survive to get the xp from the fight.

Also, leveling against current content trainers is nerfed, due in part because they’re repeatable. You’ll get more xp from wild battles than you’ll get from DF trainers. That started happening in Legion. I don’t know if the older xpacs have been buffed back up or not.

Check out wow-petguide(dot)com - they have a lot of decent training teams for the trainers in Pandaria and Draenor, where you’ll likely going to get the most bang for your buck.

2 Likes

Here’s the Powerleveling Guide for Xu-Fu’s ^^

2 Likes

Many, if not most of the trainers can be beaten with a team of 1 or 2 level 25s while you carry a low level pet, even a level 1. Bating them will usually take your level 1 to level 11, even higher with the helmet and pet treat buffs.

The catch comes with, you’ll still need those 40 or so top tier level 25 pets that are used in most carry strategies. Some of them are pretty cheap on the auction house and others can be caught in the wild.

I’d concentrate on doing the pet dailies that award leveling stones and charms, which you can purchase leveling stones with. And use those stones on getting a good bunch of the basic pets you’ll need for the carrying to level 25.

The pet dailies from BfA onward scale with the level of your team, so they can be done even with level 1 pets, which makes most of the pretty easy and a good source of leveling stones.

This is a great site to find strats for beating the trainers while carrying a low level pet;

2 Likes

My suggestions if just starting out:
BFA and Shadowlands World Quests that award polished pet charms. Then when you get 35, go buy a purple stone that insta levels a pet to 25. Use some guides to pick which pets to level with the stone.

BFA and Shadowlands WQ scale with your highest level pet, so use a team of all level 1’s against them, get the charms and once you have bough stones and levelled a small team of 25’s (Again use a guide, or ask folks here), then you can start the process of using legion tamers and pitting 2 25s with a carry pet to start levelling more pets.

Also BFA has some rares and chests that give pet charms, enough for some stones to level pets. See the Dropped by, contained in, and reward from tabs Here:

1 Like

I am in the same situation. Started late, don’t have many pets (certainly don’t have any of the pets required by the strategy guides), and didn’t have any level 25 and above.

The best I could do is use all my Polished Pet Charms to level up about 5-6 pets, and then I was out of charms that I was saving.

Recommendations to fight trainers to level all my pets doesn’t work. They destroy the low level pets with appropriate counters, and destroy the few level 25 pets I do have now because they aren’t the right pets for the fight.

I haven’t tried to see if the pet dungeons will help, because I assume it will be another dead end like the pet trainers.

I am working on my Garrison from Warlords of Draenor to get the Menagerie to level 3, which will allow me to repeatedly fight Squirt, but…to get the Menagerie to level 3, I have to fight a bunch of level 25 trainers with teams that destroy everything I have. So, another dead end. Ugh.

The only path forward I can see right now is to grind the horrible world quests as mentioned above. Barf.

Once you get 1 level 25, you can purchase caged 25s from the AH, which should help expand your collection.

Depending on how many characters you have at 60, Revendreth & Bastion have single enemy fights for charms today. Both of them can be done with an Iron Starlette:

If you have the Nzoth Assaults unlocked, there’s a 20 charm WQ in Uldum. You can use an Ikky, and a pet with strong Dragonkin attacks:

If you don’t have an Ikky or Iron Starlette at 25, I’d recommend getting them, and having more than one of these pets is never a bad thing. Here’s our list for Most Used Pets. 4/5 of those pets can be purchased on the AH:

I post daily pet battle rewards on various Discords and my Twitter to help consolidate things for people:

It can take a little bit to get started, but that’s just like anything in the game. And don’t forget Jyhanna’s new quest chain in Valdrakken that’ll get you two purple stones to use on any pet of your choice.

ETA: Huh, that tweet actually shows up nicely in the forum. Maybe I should start posting it here, too? :thinking:

2 Likes