Performance problems with SOA dungeon

I am running a 2020 imac 27. When I zone in to SOA, the performance drops dramatically from around 60fps to 30fps and lower. If I reboot, it fixes the problem. I have never had a perf problem before and all my graphics settings are the same.

When inside SOA, I have tried to change resolution, and many other settings. Also using the slider to go down to level 1. While that does help a little bit, it makes the game unplayable. Rebooting the imac fixes it but restarting wow doesn’t. I have also tried to close all other programs running on the mac and that didn’t make any difference.

I have not seen this issue in other dungeons or anywhere else in wow… it’s very strange. This problem in SOA seems to have started a week ago.

specs: 72GB of Ram, 3.8 8-core i-7, SSD storage and AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16gb. Running the latest Monterey v12.0.1

I posted about this issue that started occurring for me on a 2019 27" iMac in 9.0.5 only where anima stream graphics were present, one of those being SoA. I can’t do this dungeon at all and expect to perform adequately, especially healing. Changing settings has not helped, nor did a UI reset. Out of curiosity, do you have any anima conductors active in a zone, or do you have the same issue in Oribos? I have 60FPS everywhere except those locations, which was not a problem in 9.0.

Yeah, at this point I would not expect this issue to ever be fixed. I sent it to many engineers directly and ultimately no one has time to look at it because they are so far behind they’ll never catch up without simply ignoring half the issues reported. Sadly this issue just went on the ignore list. All I can really say :\

Lets hope 10.0 and 9.2 content doesn’t use the same animations, if it does, maybe it’ll come off ignore list.

1 Like

There was a PC thread months ago that said the devs were aware of the asset causing the issue in this dungeon but were “unable” to make any changes to improve the performance :sob: How about roll it back to the 9.0 anima stream or just let me remove the thing entirely since it is unnecessary. I can deal with the Plaguefall green slime patch for a couple minutes of lag. I am also hoping future zones don’t have this same issue. The Korthia rift portal spawn element causing the same type of FPS drop was fixed within the first couple weeks of that patch to improve performance.

1 Like

The people who write the game telling you they are unable to make changes to it. Lol. That’s the same excuse the Overwatch team has for why they haven’t fixed bugs with Symmetra in the Deathmatch mode of that game for over 3 years. It’s just insulting to the intelligence of everyone who plays their games to try and shovel that garbage at us as an excuse.

2 Likes

Hi all… thanks for the replies. I see this issue on my characters that are not part of the Kyrian covenant. So would the anima issue apply to them? How?

When I reboot my Mac, it complete restores the performance back to 60fps in the SOA dungeon. So I am able to play there just fine. I think it is very strange that rebooting fixes this and it only happens to me in SOA.

I have not seen this performance degradation in any other zone. I have tweaked my graphics settings so that I get 60fps around 90% of the time in all of WOW.

1 Like

The same graphic that is used on anima streams when an anima conductor is active is used in SoA and Oribos regardless of anima conductor status on that character, which is why I have the issue on all characters in those areas. I only have the issue on particular characters when anima stream is present in their covenant home zone (such as Bastion for Kyrian, etc.). It’s interesting that rebooting the computer helps, I have not tried that, although it’s not always feasible when going into a dungeon and others are waiting for you! As with you, I typically get 60fps everywhere else, but 15-30 in these areas depending on which way my camera is facing. I can run around the inner ring of Oribos and watch the fps shoot up and down. SoA is essentially the worst, and also most impactful for my performance as lagging around Oribos is annoying but not going to affect my group.

Very interesting… yea, I had a patient group the other day that waited for me to reboot. Fortunately my system is very fast… so it’s only about 60 seconds. My computer has been on all day for work purposes. I am about to jump in WOW and go into SOA as my Kyrian character to see what happens.

NOTE: I have never noticed this performance problem until a few weeks ago. This is also strange based on the experiences that others in this thread have seen.

EDIT:
Ok. This is interesting.

After using my computer all day for work, I launched wow to a Kyrian and flew into SOA. The performance was terrible. FPS bounced around 20’s-40’s. Not only that… it “felt” like the game was stuttering… I could tell by the mouse reaction time. So I zoned out and flew around Bastion and went to oribos. Everything looked and acted great! 60fps. pretty much all the time. I went back in to SOA and it was the same… very sluggish… fps fluctuating all over the place and mouse reaction time was very delayed.

Then I rebooted. Launched all the programs that I was running before (work stuff about 15 programs and utilities using about 20gb of ram). I even started a Time Machine backup. Then I launched wow. Zoned in to SOA… it worked great! 60fps. just like “normal”.

I rebooted one more time just to prove it and also had great performance.

So… from now on… after work… I’ll simply reboot before I play wow in case I get in a group that goes into SOA. This sure is irritating and very also very odd.

I hate to hear that so many people have troubles similar to this but ALL the time. I definitely have performance issues when I raise a few of the graphics settings up by one level… especially the ‘environment detail’, and liquid detail. But I think that I have finally got my settings to the sweet spot.

My settings:
Display mode: Fullscreen (Windowed)
Window Size 5120x2880
Resolution Scale 50%
Monitor iMax
Anti-Aliasing None
Vertical Sync Enabled
Graphics Quality slider 7
Texture Resolution High
Spell Density Dynamic
Projected Textures Enabled
View Distance 4
Environment Detail 4
Ground Clutter 2
Shadow Quality High
Liquid Detail Fair
Particle Density High
SSAO Good
Depth Effects Good
Compute Effects Good
OUtline Mode High

Advanced settings:
Triple Buffer Enabled
Texture Filter 16x Ani
Ray Traced Disabled
Ambient Occlusion FidelityFX CACAO
MSAA none
Multisample Alpha-test Disabled
Post-Process AA None
Resample Quality FidelityFX Super R…
Graphics API Metal
Physics Interations Player only
Graphics Card Auto Detect
Max Foreground FPS = 90 (this should be set to 60 or higher since vertical sync is on)
Max Background FPS 30
Target FPS 60
Resample Sharpness 0.2
Contrast 50
Brightness 50
Gamma 1.0

Thanks All