People with female avatars do you get catcalled/harassed in game?

It happened when I started in BC then kinda died off around MoP. (Night elf Druid)

One of my earliest wow memories is going through the starting area of Teldrassil (Rip), just finished the quest for the satyr, and a male nelf rogue started following me around with … flavorful remarks. One of the less terrible of them being “You would be prettier with different facial markings.”

For awhile I didn’t talk on Ventrilo if I pugged into a run outside of guild raids because people went ballistic if a woman spoke. But yea, I stopped getting them around MoP… Then again my server (Hydraxis) kinda died at the end of Cataclysm. Here’s hoping all these merges bring some life back. :slight_smile:

I don’t care personally. What I meant is that I always assume a player is male until someone speaks in discord and I hear a female voice. It doesn’t matter to me either way.

nah, these days im far more likely to just be talked down to, talked over, or treated like im an idiot for being an woman than sexually harassed over my ingame avatar. i put the latter up to playing with my husband, so to potential harassers im already ‘spoken for’.

Its all gross on multiple levels. i did have a dude early on recognize me and my guild from my vanilla server and proceed to try get me to message him on snapchat so he could prove his uh… size.

i declined, shockingly. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The talking down to thing has been much worse to me on Heroes of the Storm. I’ve been on a competitive team a few times over the years, but many groups would on hearing I was a woman during try outs, immediately tell me that because I was a woman, I would just be a distraction for the guys, so we can’t give you a shot. Very infuriating.

Yea, this was a mess in comp overwatch as well. Communication is important, but i knew if i spoke there was a 50% chance simply hearing a female voice would auto tilt at least 1 member of my team into acting like a complete idiot and throwing the match.

Yea, there’s a reason I have a habit of pinging my CDs in Heroes instead of using chat function, haha. People don’t tend to take ya seriously.

1 Like

disc priest.
I can’t explain how many times I’ve been talked down to for smiting during a boss fight.

I think this is definitely more of an Alliance thing. Nobody is howling over orc, tauren, troll or even undead females.

Also, everyone should know by now that WoW is 95% dudes.

i see what you’re trying to do here, but trust me, this is a phenomenon that exists. even as a guild leader.

before i walked away from my guild, i had suspicions for a while about this. so i began an experiment. when i had a strat, or an assignment, or well… anything to say about the raid, i’d say it. people would argue about it, talk over me, or just flat out ignore what i said.

then, i would ask our main tank to give the same directive, and watch like magic as his (my) instructions suddenly became the greatest idea ever, because they came from a guy. the implications seemed to be that i was worthwhile for my ability to do the unpleasant secretarial work of running a guild, my recruitment ability, my heals – but everything else?.. it was in one ear and our the other. They didnt want to hear it from a woman.

its garbage like this that really takes the wind out of your sails. to simply be treated on even remotely equal footing, you have to be 2, 3x as competent as the dude next to you.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry you’ve experienced this, and I feel your pain. I’ve been on Heroes since Alpha, and one of the first people to learn and play Abathur. I have over two THOUSAND games as Abathur ALONE since Alpha, and if I try to give someone new to him tips and they know I’m a women, they tend to get angry and tell me I couldn’t possibly know how to play a hero that complex as a woman.

Sure, buddy, I’ll watch you fail your job and die over and over because you couldn’t be bothered to listen to me telling you to place defensive mines so invisible guys can’t sneak over and nuke you. And enjoy it.

Really grinds my gears.

Edit: Also, same Arua as above, just using my retail toon.

1 Like

I have this experience as well, as a dude. All of it. I was even known in the guild for being ‘the math guy’ and knowing/figuring out mechanics quickly, as well as the Healer officer. Yet, every time I gave a strategy idea it would get ignored/talked over/ignored because some hyuck wanted to be loud. For most of the … 8? years I played on Retail, from TBC through MoP. Played a little in Legion/BFA but no guild raiding so it stopped.

I even tried the same strategy as you, since my GM in particular liked me, a couple times I sent him info in tells and he would say it and everyone suddenly on board. xD

In my experience I think it is because my voice is naturally low and I do not like to raise it, so I always figured it was just because I am not loud that it happened. But it can happen to guys, too.

Just depends on your group and the people in it. My retail guild has historically also had a mixed group of male/female so it never became an issue because I guess we were used to it. No one ever cared.

Not saying yours is any less valid, just adding my experiences too.

1 Like

Are you really going to complain about this? I mean, seriously?

Most of the gals I know that play WoW play male characters… JUST FYI they do it because according to them its more fun play the game and to not be given free crap because omg boobs.

1 Like

Yes and i /kiss back then ask for gold.

5 Likes

I don’t. Well, it’s very rare. Maybe once every 2 years it has happened.

I play both genders and all races in the game. I pick the class and race, then on the character model screen pick things that won’t look ugly to me from the rear, in the center of my screen for 50 hours or more. Usually that is female.

But my female characters don’t flirt. So nobody flirts back.

it happened to me one time in WOTLK.

he got mad at me for not being a girl…

2 Likes

Oh man, if I caught someone role playing in WoW, I would be absolutely LIVID. What do they think this game is, an RPG? Creeps.

1 Like

I get hugged and kissed all the time too on my male avatar.

I must be supremely attractive.

I don’t like how players after killing do that sit up and down on your body… some weird gay fetish I suppose.

1 Like

The only men playing as female avatars i’ve seen get “attention” from other men playing as female avatars are the ones who are so terrible at the game that they automatically trigger damsel in distress flags.

I have yet to see any player actually good at the game get any sort of attention from other players in-game.

I’m a corpse so no.

1 Like

I /lick everyone. It’s a standard gnome greeting, nothing sexual.

Please become familiar with the customs of all the races of Azeroth! I have spent many years learning the common language and the customs of Stormwind humans, it’s only decent to return the favor.

7 Likes