People pining for the 'vanilla talent trees'

and 1400s are pvpers.

Sure they do.

Absolutely.

But I’ll tell you what, playing with different builds is fun. Also leveling is more enjoyable to be constantly drip fed improvements to your character.

I don’t see talent tree revamps as beneficial to max level players, we will optimize it whether we have 2 choices or 500. Some flexibility may exist for a bit of personal preference, but we will go back to skeleton trees with optional picks with strong suggestions of what to fill.

I see them as improvements to the leveling experience. The only caveat is that in retail leveling is so zoom zoom that I’m not sure how good it’ll truly feel compared to Classic where the leveling is more paced which means you really feel talent pickups, especially at the 20/30/40/etc mark.

2 Likes

If you PvP you are a PvPer, so yes that’s accurate.

4 Likes

No TRUE Scotsman…

8 Likes

I mean I’d expect it in higher tier content but the amount of times I’ve seen a group die because somehow everyone in the dungeon couldn’t interrupt someone is more than it should be

Oh don’t get me wrong, vanilla talent trees were far from perfect, they were just more interesting than what we have now.

Vanilla it was, pick a tree start going down it till you hit 40 (probably) then after than find the trees you can reach in other specs to further enhance your build. This usualy meant picking up a bunch of nickle and dime talents on the way to the big bucks (usually at lvl 20, 30 and 40) which is how we ended up with the shorthand version we have today.

And after you hit 40 you started putting points into (usually) another spec tree to enhance or compliment your main spec choices, usually in the form of more crit, better parry or dodge. These choices were largely not up for debate when it came to ‘meta’ builds so it only really gave the illusion of freedom early on.

But now its you hit level 15! Pick A B or C. A sucks, B is meh and if you dont have C you can’t M+.

20! A B or C…A sucks…B is pvp…C is…better than nothing.

Rinse and repeat till you are maxed out.

4 Likes

Leveling folks already get stuff every level (at least up to 50). It may not always be a new ability or talent, but “something” unlocks at every level.

Like honestly with the loadouts this is what I am looking for, being able to bring a bit more damage to a healer or a tank spec, or make my dps a bit beefier or have more sustain.

1 Like

I distinctly remember hating it when it changed to the current talents. Was so long ago now but it was one of the reasons I didn’t pick wow back up til 8.2 from around that time.

1 Like

It’s usually pretty boring/passive stuff from what I remember. You’re also leveling so fast and just plowing through that you’re not really even needing to pay attention to it. Which, again, is going to downplay the enjoyment of the talent tree impact.

Some people are going to enjoy trying out different builds, and some are just gonna plug and play based on a guide. Personally I’m a fan of talent trees; when MoP first launched I hated them, then I got used to them and thought they were better, but then I went back to Classic and was like “Nope, this was always better”

Flexibility is a good thing. The min/maxers can min/max and the casuals who want to play around or be unique have more options to do so.

3 Likes

Talent Trees has been an innovation in video games when it first appeared in Diablo II, ok there was plenty of flaws but not as ugly than how it looked in WoW, there was only 1 template per class specialization and each of these specialization had a precise purpose.
Customization totally out of the picture… 0%

Now I don’t say Talent Trees are bad, but tuned properly while matching an elective mode this could bring interesting dynamics and buff a little more class-identities

Indeed.

Look, the illusion of choice is fine. Look at Mass Effect. People love that franchise, I love Mass Effect even, but a lot of the choices are fake. They either don’t matter or there’s a correct choice with no in-between… but people still love feeling in-control.

It’s all marketing. It’s just a marketing gimmick. Anyone who says otherwise is kind of trolling.

1 Like

No different than the vanilla version of “gain 1% more block chance” or whatnot. Most talents were fairly innocuous. In fact, I would say the current system is actually more impactful since the new ranks of spells actually tend to be pretty juicy upgrades to them.

The issue is more that leveling is so stupid easy that nobody has to care. You just got a new rank of a spell that does 25% more damage? Ho hum I still 2-3 shot the mobs anyway.

I’m fine with whatever Blizzard ends up doing. I just think it’s a lot of wasted time and effort meant to give some illusion of choice to a subset of the playerbase pining for the days of old (despite having access to it) who just want to keep their head in the sand and otherwise justify why their sub optimal picks make them cute and quirky and not just bad.

But if all they want to do is run around and do world quests and LFR…no skin off my teeth.

1 Like

What I hope for is if it brings in new ways to play a spec. DKs kinda sorta have it rn with BoS (which is generally a 2 1h build) and Obliterate (which is generally a 2h build) but I wanna see the return of the midrange Unholy DK and stuff like that.

2 Likes

Maybe I will dust off my rogue so I can put points in sap, or even my mage for that epic WAND DAMAGE!

everyone is going to run the same meta build for raids and m+…lol.

That’s not necessarily true. There have definitely been specs that have cropped up that were variants from the “standard” spec. They usually are what results in a nerf of a skill / talent. Usually it took someone finding out a weird way a skill interacted with a “Use” ability.

This is 100% true. All this choice is an illusion. There’s right and wrong ways to play, and that’s true since Vanilla and will be true in Dragonflight. I think there’s a gray area to be had, we don’t want to go overboard and just give out 50000 choices, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have 100 and those choices still feel good even though we can generally say which ones should be best.

Whatever choice Blizzard gives us can always be parsed down. The only way to break this is remove all choices and/or break all addons so people struggle to collect data and discerning who is right or wrong is extraordinarily difficult.

3 Likes