Penalty System for leaving keys

Can we PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get a penalty system put in for people who just leave keys. Like you just wasted 4 other players time because you are inconsiderate. Just another reason why this game is in the dumps. Glad they changed that picture in the inn though. REALLY made a different in my gaming experience.

2 Likes

While your feelings are in the right place, you KNOW that someone who wants to leave will force the group to kick him instead, don’t you?

we saw it when tanks were bypassing the deserter debuff in Cataclysm.

we know it won’t go well.

i wish a solution existed - but this one isn’t it. the player can just go afk instead of leaving, or log off and go play an alt… and your punishment does nothing.

it will be less than 24 hours before this is widespread bypassed.

5 Likes

There will always be a loop hole to get around this type of thing and i understand that. But putting in some type of deterrent to stop people from doing this is needed. I dont know maybe a report system that about 10-20 reports of you leaving will net you a day ban from LFG or the game. I see that fair as you wasted another peoples time by leaving their keys.

i think if the community fleshed out an idea, and had more or less a consensus on it, the chances of it being implemented would be realistic. right now we only have a problem and no viable suggested solutions.

PlayerScore tried 3rd party player-rating as far back as Cataclysm. that never took off. The only semi-functional solution is … M+ lockouts.

in raids you can’t leave and go do another after the raid gets going and you start killing bosses, but in M+ you can. if there was a lockout tied to incomplete M+ then … maybe?

if a dungeon is started but not finished, lockout of all M+ for … 24hours? 7 days? until next daily reset?

1 Like

I’m more in favour of a less punishing system of key depletion than punishing players for leaving.

Maybe make it so the key needs to have 2 or 3 losses to deplete? Like, give your key level charges. first fail, doesn’t count. Second fail depletes.

2 Likes

or make depletion be optional?

i think the depletion is in place so you dont lock yourself into keys out of your reach.

that +22 halls-of-valor thing.

in reality, most people rarely run into a problem where they cant do M+ because their key is too big.

2 Likes

you know, if you want to make something cool happen, you could make the keys tradeable…

Then they’d just be PoGs…

1 Like

I’ll kick this off by saying I’ve made more threads, paragraphs upon paragraphs, than any normal human should be forced to in order to get a point across.

I’ve provided immense supporting evidence of it being detrimental to the game, in-game punishment systems that are very VERY easily to implement, and I’ve even gone as far as creating the framework for a raiderio-esq addon that would banlist players from queues if they left enough keys in a certain time period.

Blizz doesn’t care, the community doesn’t care, and I’ve quit the game along with everyone else I know that plays specifically because of issues like this.

I will reiterate. It is not fun to wait in queue for 20 minutes (with my own key) just to have it depleted because JimmyNoSkill the FoTM Frost Mage body pulled the patrol on Sanguine Depths and immediately alt-f4’d.

It is similarly not fun or enjoyable to bring this irritation to the open forums and be told “Just run your own key” or “stop complaining lol that’s just part of the game” by people who don’t run keys, or run with a consistent group and never pug (aka would never see this system in use).

They could easily implement a punishment system, they just don’t care enough to do it. This is the same as the “we can’t pull the ripcord” or “we can’t just remove conduit energy” and “target cap isn’t just something we can reverse” - then 9.1.5 dropped when the heat was on.

I just stopped playing entirely. I haven’t logged in for months, and I don’t think I’ll come back until they actually start caring about the community outside of the PR facing changes they are forced to make in order to save face.

This topic is beat to death in the forums. First off, there is no level of key that exists where it is a burden for it to downgrade. Gg go next if the group falls apart.

I agree that people leaving is a thing, although I find it a lot less common than what is claimed, but it may be an issue with the complainants rather than the leavers. If you put together a 15 and are expecting a free carry I wouldnt blame someone for leaving.

Bottom line is that if everyone is doing their job no one leaves. Ever. Never has a key been going to plan and someone bails unannounced. Something is the problem, and if you are experiencing this frequently in your keys then you are the problem.

4 Likes

Shame rage quits are a thing too. Those people are pretty easy to fish out though.

1 Like

I’ve had quite a few keys where people have just straight-up rage quit for no reason, and for no fault other than their own.

1 Like

This doesn’t work for so many reasons that have been beaten to death.
Propose your system and ill tell you why it doesn’t work and probably would make things worse than they are now.

I’ll also give apologies in advance if I’m a bit short with people over this it’s just because I have already talked about it so much.

The best anyone has come up with is keys taking 2 goes to deplete or something hut even that has issues

3 Likes

I pug keys 7 days a week on multiple characters, and this happens so rarely that I literally can’t even remember the details of a single instance off that top of my head. How is it possible that we have such vastly different experiences with the community?

3 Likes

My thought every time i see this issue posted. It’s like we’re playing a different game.

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, some factors might be time of day (peak vs off-peak, certain timezones, etc.), keystone range, the role your characters play (e.g. if most of your characters are X role), whose keystone, etc. etc.

The question really isn’t whether a solution has issues, it’s whether a solution creates an improved situation. If no solution is applied just because there are SOME issues, that’s getting into the territory of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy#Perfect_solution_fallacy

It can be hard to evaluate whether a change is better overall, especially since lots of changes tend to favour one group of people while disfavouring a different group of people, with varying degrees. But if X solution can be overall looked at as being better, even if SOME issues remain, that’s fine. It’s still better, and probably worth doing. Sitting around and letting bigger issues fester is a worse idea.

Yea I agree but I think the vast majority of the proposed solutions people have are considerably worse for a number of reasons.

3 Likes

The best you can hope for here is something along the lines of “you can’t start another key before the one you left times out”.

Like, if you start a dungeon with a 39 minute timer, and leave after the first wipe with 29 minutes left on the clock, you get a M+ deserter debuff for 29 minutes that prevents keys from starting as long as you’re in the group.

Anything more than that is going to cause more issues than it solves.

that doesn’t sound good at all

That idea already does