Patch 8.1 and Cross-Faction Roleplay

Heard it’ll be a purchasable potion from a vendor, not sure if true though, but that would be nice.

5 Likes

Inky Black Potion is purchasable from a vendor isn’t it?

2 Likes

It will be, and it might be from a vendor in the Underbelly in Dalaran

3 Likes

This is huge news for the RP community and generally a new precedent for acknowledgement from Blizzard. I’m beyond happy. As an RPer who just had their questions and concerns addressed directly by the devs I’m ecstatic.

Let’s not pretend that this new facilitation wasn’t something that the RP community’s player devs worked hard for. TammyMG’s work creating the addon in the first place paved the way by giving us a seamless in-world RP experience and demonstrating to Blizz that cross-faction chat doesn’t break the game’s core factions.

Thanks for all your hard work in helping us get here, Tammy.

Thanks even more to Blizz for acknowledging a segment of the player base that has often felt ignored. Looking forward to getting back to leveling that worgen!

15 Likes

You’ve done a huge service to the roleplay community and deserve all the praise. Especially for your sunglasses (just saying). But in all seriousness, thank you for helping us like you did. I think I’m accurate in saying most of us appreciate it so much.

11 Likes

We did it reddit!

Now if they could cover the 800+ post regarding guild permissions that was bumped in AUGUST, then Blizzard is the best company ever.
Not holding my breath.

5 Likes

Thank you blizz for making something happen for us, it is greatly appreciated from a good majority of the RP community!

And let us not forget the hard work the Cross RP team did for us initially making the Tournament of Ages and many many more events memorable and fun. Adding a brand new sense of community to the game. This would not have been possible without their hard work and I would like to take a moment to recognize everything they have done here.

From the bottom of our hearts we thank you all: The Cross RP team for their dedication to RP and the community, Blizzard for listening, and the community at large and here for the support and understanding they have shown!

Well done to everyone involved. :heart:

7 Likes

私はCrossRPのご配慮に感謝します!!
心ろより感謝申上あげます!
どもどもども~~~

… I appreciate the consideration you gave with the cross RP stuff.
From bottom of my heart thank you
Thankyou

(I’m sorry, I had to go Japanese land, it’s me trying to go at a level of thanks that couldn’t be translated in a way …)

It is very appreciated that this happened.

Honestly, never seen a direct action to address an issue directly in a long while since playing BC.

So yeah. That’s really all I can say.

1 Like

Whaaaat!? They seriously did it! NO WAY!! This is awesome! Honestly that totally caught me off guard when I was scrolling! I nearly spit out my drink. (Which, honestly, I wouldn’t have minded either. It’s gross honey-lemon water for my cough. Mega-blegh.)

Thank you so much, Blizzard! It’s insanely reassuring to know that we’re still being considered like this, at least to me. It feels nice to be thought about. So excited now! I can continue my plans of a neutral character! :smiley:

And, since there is of course others to thank, thank you Tammya! And everyone who’s had a hand in creating CrossRP! This wouldn’t have been possible in the first place if CrossRP didn’t exist. There would have been no reason to take up the fight like this! We’ve reached a new milestone, I like to think.

And, to all of us! No matter what people might think of our community, it’s seriously awesome sometimes. We all have to take a few pats on the back for this. And some confetti to party!

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear people are working on profiles, that’s the only thing that worried me when I heard the news. +1 for /emote being included in translation as well; if they could do that, it would be wonderful.

2 Likes

Hear! Hear!

I’ve always been a huge proponent of cross-faction RP, but WoW’s language barrier has made it extremely difficult.

This add-on helped bring cross-faction RP more to the forefront and show people that there’s plenty of reasons to RP with “the enemy”.

Thanks to all involved with the development!

So will the potion allow us to see cross faction TRPs too?

Well well well, look who’s wrong.

7 Likes

Supposedly the item has already been added to the game, according to the WrA version of this thread. Unfortunately, it’s simply a copy and paste of certain races/classes being able to do the same thing - it translates /say and /yell, but not emotes. Which is disappointing, but not world-ending. Hopefully we can keep nagging them until they fix that particular feature - until then, at least emotes can be put in /say.

2 Likes

Yep, I’m using it live on WRA. TRP has the ability to turn asterisked text orange, which will be helpful for crossfaction emotes in the meanwhile! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

/wave

That having been said, in the game cinematics, in the movie, in the comics, in the books, in every other piece of “lore” people talk cross-faction all the time. Roleplayers don’t want to get around the part where the story is about war, they’re playing within the story even more than the average player. But just being at war doesn’t mean that suddenly no one can communicate, ever.

A lack of cross-faction communication isn’t for story purposes. It was driven by early world PvPers being salty at each other. A strictly opt-in system to restore the actual story of the factions being able to communicate doesn’t somehow break the lore.

3 Likes

Can you give us a location and gold cost for where the potion is?

1 Like

There are more of us than you might believe.

I heard the RP-PvP is really picking up over on Tichondrius.

If porting profiles is possible, then we’re definitely in a wildly awesome spot.

As a fun little aside, the Elixir of Tongues was an old item available in vanilla through a quest to get the recipe (I believe). Interesting that they decided to dig that back up as a fix.

It’s worth saying as well, this potion will make cross faction RP much MUCH more accessible to players in general. Not everyone wanted to download CrossRP, or knew about it, etc. etc.

As an Argent RPer myself i’m definitely looking forward to this.

I’m ecstatic that Blizzard is finally listening to the RP community, but I also advise caution when welcoming in this new feature - the Elixir/Potion of Tongues is an item that has a time limit with its use, so you’d have to make sure that you stock up on them. It’s, once again, a feature that sounds amazing on paper that the playerbase - even if just a portion of it - wanted but will possibly not live up to expectations due to its limitations.

It’s the same as with the opportunities for customization with Transmogrification - great on paper, horrible in execution.

WoW is at the point where the community is mature enough to be able to handle cross-faction communication without it devolving entirely to toxicity.

I just hope it works with both /say and /emote