Patch 8.1 and Cross-Faction Roleplay

As with many of the anecdotes above, I want to reiterate how much CrossRP has added to the game for me and how much more real and immersive it makes the world when you can interact with the other faction’s players & characters:

My own character is, to my imagination, a pretty neutral person. She’s a taunka, so she hasn’t got the same historical baggage as other tauren to like or hate most races. In fact, it’s hard for me to think of a lot of people she’d hate at a personal level amid all this faction conflict…

Until she fought a gnome at the ToA this year. During a team dueling event, things went pretty sideways with her and her team expecting sportsmanlike fair play and blunted weapons. Instead a group of pirates tried to cut them up. When she confronted the seeming leader later, a gnome, he played dumb about the whole thing and acted like she was some reprobate harassing him.

Thanks to that exchange my character now has a bad personal experience with gnomes and it lends just that tiny feeling of authenticity to the idea of her punting a few of them if the opportunity arose. In other words, it helped me buy into on the story Blizzard is trying to tell. A story that, while I’m still not buying wholesale, I’d be leaving on the shelf if not for little encounters like that which give my character and me as a player a feeling of personal investment and agency that can’t be expected in the game’s questing.

In the very same event, with Teldrassil’s burning fresh on everyone’s mind, she was sympathetic to the Night Elves she met because hey, Icemist is a ruin last time we checked, so she knows what it’s like to lose a home. Similar feelings were shared among Highmountain who once called Riverbend their home.

These are the things I keep forking out money every month for. Not raids and dungeons, but engaging personal interactions with my fellow players via the characters we’ve all concocted for ourselves. And with Blizzard refusing to relax the language barriers it’s addons like CrossRP which bridge that gap and allow these kinds of interactions to happen.

Please reverse this change, Blizz. Please give RPers our cross-faction stories back.

10 Likes

i roleplay mostly ‘alliance’ characters, but I pay a monthly sub not for raiding, though that is a nice addition at times, but for the immersive world that players like @Eyonita-moon-guard create. If not for Cross RP, Id never know about those immersive stories our hordies create.

1 Like

And the “war” between Alliance and Horde is forced, old, and tired and should be retired. They have worked together so many times over 14 years that only the story writers (Horde lovers) and the most fanatical freaks of the player base are the ones clamoring for this uninspired, uninteresting, worthless “war” to continue.

If they had a 3rd faction (like Pandaren) that was neutral and had nothing to do with the war, that’s where I (and likely many others) would be.

Final Fantasy 14 is GREAT in that regard. You still have the 3 city-states, one of which you have to ally yourself with, but it doesn’t prevent you from playing with people that are in the other Grand Companies. They have their political squabbles, but overall they work together well. The Alliance & Horde could be the same way.

6 Likes

As long as the war exists, the game is stuck in 2004.

1 Like

We have really good graphics for 2004…

Aside from that remark, it looks like the Q&A happened, and it was all gameplay related questions that were picked and nothing pertaining to addons.

You also forget that most players have not been around since the start, so the war is a nice new flavour for them that they’ve never experienced. Most new players joined in WoD/Legion from the mass advertisement, meaning that this is their first taste of a good faction war.

While you may not agree the story is good, the story is what Blizzard, the developers, make it. You can not like it all you want, but the addon was against ToS regardless and it’s good to be removed because Blizzard is being consistent and upholding their standards.

And again: Discord.

So to play the game, I have to not play the game.

6 Likes

LOL! Then Blizzard is doing them a disservice.

LOL! No. They are not now, and have not ever been consistent.

1 Like

Most of my characters and RP are neutral, but even still, so what if we’re at war? That’s almost more argument for why I SHOULD be able to talk to the other faction! Think of all the events and RP battles we could set up and execute with so much greater ease! Running into opposite factions out in the world, you could engage and play out that tension of the war.

Discord is not a solution for that. It breaks immersion horribly to have to tab in and out of the game. If we wanted to just write stories? sure. But thats not the same thing as RPing in game. It’s WHY we RP, and not just all unsub and write in discord or google docs or whathaveyou. We want to see the world. See our characters. See our friends. Its a visual medium as much as a written one.

3 Likes

To do things against ToS, you have to not break ToS.
If you joined WoW to xfaction, you’re in the wroooong game.

I agree completely.

Legion Order Halls say Hi.

10 Likes

Still can’t say hi to xfaction. A neutral no-fight area is not xfaction RP lmao

Please refrain from going off-topic. This thread is about CrossRP, and how it benefits people, and the reasons why people may or may not like it.

Not how SquareEnix’s Final Fantasy MMORPG is better than World of Warcraft. If you wish to start a discussion in that route I suggest moving to a different thread. This thread is not for that discussion.

1 Like

It’s not against ToS anymore, and note that Blizzard themselves has enabled certain races/classes to already talk Cross-faciton. IE they’re breaking their own rules. Cross RP just makes it equal for all.

7 Likes

Mages, Demon Hunters, Blood Elves, Void Elves, Pandaren say Hi.

6 Likes

Actually a team of lawyers made the rules for Blizzard, not Blizzard themselves, but we’re just renting access to the game and own nothing of it.

The Terms of Service, and End-User License Agreement is for the end users (e.g Players), and not Blizzard themselves. Blizzard can do whatever they want, but since it looks like all community-based addons were targeted, it’s not just CrossRP that got axed.

Multiple people have come out and said the addon was deemed safe to use and didn’t break any rules when it was released, Blizzard said they didn’t have a problem with it. Certain races and classes can already do this. Players were just expanding on that idea, and if you’re going to stop people from doing that, you might as well shut down every fansite and wiki while you’re at it, close discussion boards and launch a takedown notice for every warcraft discord channel in existence.

5 Likes

Please note number 10.

1 Like

I don’t think Blizzard broke CrossRP intentionally.

Cross-faction communication will be available in WoW: Classic, I don’t see why they’d intentionally kill it for RPers here.

Seriously Blizz, you have to be invited into (and accept said invite) a game community to use this feature - these communities are clearly labeled for Cross-Faction RP. It’s pretty hard to abuse it.

1 Like