Patch 8.1 and Cross-Faction Roleplay

It would be nice to know whether Blizzard intentionally broke the functionality of this add-on, or if it’s an unintended consequence to the code in 8.1

If it’s unintended, I hope they plan to correct whatever it is caused the add-on to cease working.

3 Likes

Following up with my own experience of one of the better times I’ve had, facilitated by CrossRP, was our guild’s Pilgrim’s Bounty event. It was a great way for us to bond both in-game and out-of-game given the collaborative effort. Yes, our characters had fun stuffing ourselves silly, drinking, toasting, and setting off fireworks. We also had conflict – one of our blood elf contingent got uppity and almost started a fight, a salty old Draenei tried to get him to eat a chocolate-covered onion in retaliation. Our group included Nightborne, who up until BfA had dealings with both Horde and Alliance and who are now trying to reconcile that. Other characters have had longer-standing dealings with the opposite faction through back story and in-game events that took place before I’d joined.

In short, it was a very fun way to show a mutual group of friends that we care for one another, that we enjoy their presence and company, and that it can be accomplished regardless of faction. We all have stories to tell – please, let us tell our stories.

6 Likes

I’m reading that other addons were also broken.

Any addon that alters guild chat in any way, like sharing weak auras with a guild, no longer have that feature functioning.

Addons like GreenWall which allowed small guilds to bridge guild chats is also broken.

7 Likes

I had actually wondered about Greenwall and tried to find out its status yesterday. That affects a lot of people who I’d expect to be speaking up as well; figured I wasn’t seeing it because I don’t actually have any friends in a mega guild, I’ve only heard about people using it.

3 Likes

I’m very cautiously thinking it’s more and more likely that this may have indeed been non-targeted and something we could get reversed.

knocks on wood

9 Likes

If we don’t get a response here, we have to make sure we’re active and asking questions for tomorrow’s Q&A. Here’s the forum where they’re taking questions:

Live Developer Q&A Friday, December 14 – Submit Your Questions

And they’ll also be taking questions on Twitter using the hashtag #WarcraftQA.

9 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with Zenrao. Although I am surprised I haven’t seen more outcry about the other addons- but it seems that there’s a lot that still needs tweaking/patching/hotfixing.

That being said, with all the points that have been made about the benefits of this addon (or just removing the faction language barrier for RP realms), as well as all the good arguments made as to why it should have its functionality restored, I hope it’s something we see happen in the near future. I know Blizz has to fix more game-breaking bugs first, but I hold out hope we’ll get a response soon enough!

5 Likes

It was broke because it was fun and we know blizzard hates fun thats not dictated by them…

1 Like

Also almost 700 post and nothing but watch i can go start a post about puppies and blues and greens will show up in droves… Or a post about the new store mount and how great it is… SAD

2 Likes

I too wish to state my support for the CrossRP addon’s function, and for the nice rp opportunities it has made possible with considerably less hassle.

9 Likes

I’m just tired of blizzard trying to be the fun police all the time. It’s like you just aren’t allowed to make your own fun in this game, whether it be in RP, or with toys, housing, or anything really.

8 Likes

Keeping this bumped, talk to us Blizz!

5 Likes

I already said this in a lot mg discords, but they plan to…“talk/Address” things tomorrow, we can all send in questions pertaining to the addon/s and hope they’ll ask.

8 Likes

I just posted my question on the Q&A forum, and it looks like a lot of other people have posted about CrossRP as well. However, it’s a big forum and there’s a lot of troll posts there so as many people need to contribute as possible if we want them to pay attention.

2 Likes

true, I need to actually write my version of the question since I was telling others…

Still no blizz answer? :frowning:

2 Likes

hopefully they do tomorrow.

How do you know that O.o

i dont

it’s why i said, -hopefully-.

2 Likes

I’ve just posted this question over in the Q&A, but no reason not to post it here. As others have surely said- please consider going over to that Q&A thread for tomorrow and liking all the Cross RP questions, and consider adding your own! Here’s mine:

“With the release of 8.1, it seems that Community chats became protected, rendering a lot of addons irreparably broken- including one that was an incredible boon to the RP community- Cross RP. As it was stated by devs to not be a violation of ToS, could you please give us an estimate of when its functionality will be restored- barring that, a reason for why this large-scale change was made and how you plan to work with the RP community to find a solution?”

14 Likes