Party Sync Threat Issue

Hello. I just finished a LFG RFC run on my spriest. Everyone was around the same level, 15-20, except for the tank. They were a 120 prot pally, synced down to 60. Every single pull I would take the aggro. According to my damage meter I was 4th in dps, so I don’t believe it was my dps that kept taking the aggro. But every single pull I would single target mobs but all the mobs would start to attack me. I would wait for tank to establish aggro and wait a bit more but still I keep taking the aggro every pull.

All other runs I have not had an issue at all, and all other runs were around characters around my level but this last run with the 120 I believe it’s an issue with party sync and threat. Thank you.

This is happening to my tanks. 3 different tanks from 15-70 I lose aggro instantly to a shadow priest or sometimes randomly other DPS classes. I’m in party sync on all of them but not scaled down on one tank and scaled down on the other and both tanks drop aggro instantly even with taunt. It’s got to be a sync issue or something. I hope it gets fixed because it’s a good help with leveling

I know this is from 4 months ago, but I’ve been doing a lot of Party Sync lately playing with a friend, and I can confirm that on all my tanks (Warrior, DK, Prot Pally, Monk, etc.) that the moment that I activate Party Sync I am constantly fighting to hold threat (this is in dungeons via LFD btw). Where as if I play a toon in the same level range, and tank on that, I have zero issues. It’s been driving me absolutely crazy, as I was at first thinking I was doing something wrong, but nope, it’s just Party Sync. Even if I install a threat meter, I can see it first hand. When Party Sync is off I am way away from everyone, but when it’s on, I’m right there with all the DPS/Healers.

FYI further testing, this seems to affect the person who’s been lowered. So if I’m on say a level 55 tank and my friend (a healer) is on a 70, I’m fine. But if I’m on a 70 tank and they’re on a 55 healer, I’m actually struggling to keep it off the healer. If I was to guess why, I would say they put some kind of aggro scaling in place to keep the higher levels DPS from pulling too much aggro when they were downgraded, but didn’t exclude this from tanks.

This is happening to me too. Even just levelling, my friend im playing with its pulling aggro from me even just killing mobs in the world while I’m in tank spec. She’s lvl 31, I’m a lvl 104 Demon hunter synced to 60. Also the damage seems to be severely lacking, she is doing much more damage than me. I hope this is addressed. It kind of makes the whole point of why we are using party sync, pointless.

I mean, dps are supposed to do more damage than tanks… That said, the threat bug for party sync should probably get fixed.

(Maybe something broke with the Heart of Azeroth’s tank threat buff being disabled? It might’ve been “disabled” multiple times since it used to give bonus threat for each node you’ve unlocked rather than just a flat 50% bonus.)

Yeah, when you’re down scaled via Party Sync, you’re effectively even as while you’re 60 and they’re 31, the mobs are 60 and 31 for the two of you. So in effect, you are on a level playing field, where the only major difference is you have more skills available to you at 60 than a player at 31. Thus, as a tank you “should” do less damage than the DPS. However, from tanking literally thousands and thousands of LFD groups, I wish that was always true. :slight_smile:

As for the HoA threat modifier, I have seen this happen on a level 61 tank who’s party sync’d with a level 55 healer. Everything was fine when I was below 61 and playing with them with Party Sync disabled, but the moment I dinged 61 and enabled Party Sync and was downgraded to 60, threat issues. So I’m not sure that the HoA threat modification would apply here.

Either way, it’s still playable, it just makes me have to work a lot harder (I use neat plates and have the threat percentage enabled on the bars so I can monitor each mob, as well as I can see if I lose aggro on a mob and use taunt when necessary).

bump, this is actually super annoying. taunting sometimes doesn’t even work. making aoe pulls is a nightmare trying to hold them all.

1 Like

This is still a problem.

I am only generating threat from my dps without the normal x4 threat a tank is supposed to generate. It makes running with anyone in heirlooms a nightmare.