"Parsing" in Wotlk? Cata?

Progression is short in Classic and parsing is a way to keep interest in doing the raid over and over again.

No it was long before that. Wasnā€™t as commonly known ubtil wotlk but existed towards the end of vanilla

I get that. I was in a guild at Classic launch in 2019 that was obsessed with it. Like, guys, we have a one button rotation plus a second button for a cooldown macro, and maybe one/two mechanics to deal with as dps. All it was back then was an indication of who got good loot first, and made it to raid with full consumables and world buffs. But damn man, people were so focused on those logs.

2 Likes

It does; part of the reason ARRā€™s such a slog is that itā€™s setting up a metric crap-ton of plot points, with one of the 2.X patch questlines (I think 2.2) finding full resolution all the way in Endwalker, the most recent expansion.

I was going to say ā€œimagine if WoW did something like thatā€ but Legion was almost a direct continuation from TBC. :rofl:

No one wants to wipe for hours because someone never studied or practiced playing their class. Parsing craze absolutely will exist in Cata because things like interrupts and paying attention to mechanics are more important than ever.

Yeah honestly ff14 probably just isnā€™t for me. I just canā€™t get into a game because it ā€œhas a great storyā€. It has to be fun. Ff14 is just so slow and too easy mechanically, at least as far as i made it (around level 32 monk).

Yeah thatā€™s the problem, FF14 classes get way more mechanical at higher levels

Not a dig at you or anything of course, Iā€™d say thatā€™s probably one of the gameā€™s biggest flaws, but yeah. By level cap on Monk, youā€™ve got two different alternating and intermingling combos, several OGCDs to weave between abilities, positionals, chakras, blitzesā€¦

At 32 youā€™ve gotā€¦one of your combos and the other one still missing one of its abilities, and thatā€™s about it

If you think you gonna escape the parse hell by switching itā€™s not gonna happenā€¦ either find yourself a guild thatā€™s literally chill while still clearing the raid or embrace the cultureā€¦

For cata onwards it will get much worse, with parses and achievementsā€¦

Iā€™m completely on board with how dumb parse culture is and useless the information is for a high majority of groups the way its currently widely perceived.

That said, it does show that youā€™ve seen the content and if you have stupid high parses, you probably at least understand the game well enough to pull that off. And I would argue anyone who can do that can probably handle the content itself. So itā€™s not worthless.

2 Likes

Nobody i know cares about sod parses.
Its not max content, its also incredibly easy .

1 Like

Parsing in sod is pretty lame. Iā€™ve been chasing 99ā€™s since TBC launched and sod is just different. I play much more casually and enjoy the time with friends in gnomer over worrying about a perfect comp so I can 99 a 30 second fight.

I played a lot of TBCC and this made the experience absolutely miserable. Especially as The Reck Warlockā„¢ļø not in the boomkin/ele sham group.

2 Likes

Parse numbers at a glance donā€™t show interrupts though. In fact, for a rogue, parsing well almost certainly means Iā€™m not interrupting anything.

This culture exists in all parts of wow.

Only two ways to deal with it. Ignore it. Or bend to it.

I choose to ignore it.

1 Like

It is really weird.

Iā€™ve found a lot more caring about parses in classic than in retail which I find very strange.

1 Like

Oh yeah, get to around 60 and things get REAL complex real fast, especially with MNK. Mineā€™s at something like 72 and I straight-up FORGET some of the various class mechanics it has.

Perhaps join a guild instead of random groups? My guild is 6/6 without any real effort and weā€™re starting to do speed clears for fun/time saving as well as bringing in alts. The people that care about parse are simply morons. Sure, Parse helps over all, but nothing is challenging at this point.

Aff lock in the healer group for a short time. Didnt get hero, did no damage, rotation was boring. Dont parse higher than green ever

1 Like

Itā€™s only nonsense if youā€™re bad.

I am at a loss as to why this is so strange.

Most folks who are playing classic or SoD have done the same dungeons or raids for 15+ years. There is nothing new to them. No new bossā€™, no new mechanics (aside of some silly affixes to some), so they add some additional goals of parsing.