Parallels between the Drakthyr and the Forsaken

I noticed an parallel between Deathwing and Sylvanas while playing through the Forbidden Reach story quests.

Memory of Neltharion: You are my talons, honed to strike at the very hearts of my enemies.
Emberthal: What changed? when did we become mere tools to be discarded?

This line almost felt like a rehash of the “Arrows in my quiver” or Sylvanas using the Forsaken as a bulwark against death or whatever. Using the people you claim to care for as disposable objects for your own self preservation makes you a 10/10 WoW villain.

Emberthal goes on to yell at the Memory of Neltharion, “No your legacy is only Death!” They are at the very least using this Dragonflight story to provide some catharsis for Forsaken players angry at Sylvanas, maybe Forsaken players are supposed to empathize with the Drakthyr.

3 Likes

I reply because you mentioned further discussion in a previous thread :

Be that as it may, that fact does not preclude one from being an 11/10 Hero in this franchise.

There are many examples.

That is a massive catastrophic leap. I want to say this line of thinking leads to Calia being burned by “WoW Dragon Life Fire TM” to have extra specialness added to her… except I am afraid that might happen.

1 Like

I mean, we already have one Alliance Biased Narrative Undead Nanny Burned By Life Fire (Bolvar for short)

1 Like

Then don’t read it. Seriously, I don’t know what bee got in your bonnet since your “feminists who like Sylvanas” rant, but you used to be nice. A lot of things have changed since then.

Maybe, ‘nice’ was a stretch. You never used to be so outright mean. Maybe, consider being like that again.

1 Like

Ok… so you ignored what lore based stuff I replied with, and you focused on whether you felt I said nice things.

Um… You make a public post… and then you say “do not read it?”

Do you know how reading works? I could not know how massive a leap you were making until I read it. I do not have some lackey that pre reads Forum posts to formulate my takes…

Do you expect everyone else to know how crazy you can be, before they click on your threads? I suppose you do know yourself, but not everyone knows those depths.

3 Likes

There is an old saying that “if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.”

1 Like

Nice is a matter of taste.

I think context is nice.

You seem to feel that simply disagreeing on loose lore threads is mean.

1 Like

I’m not making any claims, nor am I asking for anyone to agree or disagee. I am sharing a conclusion I came up with based on my feelings about what I experienced playing through this story. It felt like, to me, that the writers were making legitimate parallels. This is a public forum you are free to disagree, I just would like you to be kind, if that’s possible.

It’s a simple thing to ask of someone, to be kind.

TBH I’d highly doubt the quest writers were thinking of the forsaken or Sylvanas at all when writing the dracthyr dialogue.

14 Likes

This is Curse on my Proudmoore Alliance Alt - It is a little off topic, but the OP says she doesn’t mind.

Your little screed about the word “nice” reminded me of Kill Bill :

1 Like

This feels like an English teacher moment. Taking a quote and making it seem like it represents more than it actually does. I really doubt they were thinking about the forsaken, they can’t even remember certain classes exist to be frank.

9 Likes

just because this is my favorite movie ever. I will endulge you making my thread off topic.

Best movie. Best soundtrack.

In English literature it’s called subtext.

The subtext is the unspoken or less obvious meaning or message in a literary composition, drama, speech, or conversation . The subtext comes to be known by the reader or audience over time, as it is not immediately or purposefully revealed by the story itself.

It exists, Blizzard uses subtext a lot, that’s why I pointed it out. This forum has a habit of being hyperliteral and that has discouraged me from posting subtext here before. It’s really not that deep I just thought I would share some subtext I picked up on in the hopes that others may have picked up on it too.

Hey I made an Alt with the broads name. I love that movie.

1 Like

Deadly Viper Squad gave you away before your alt.

For what it’s worth, it is a pretty clever observation. I can easily imagine an interaction like that between Dracthyr and Forsaken, either as idle NPC chatter or as RP between players.

8 Likes

Much appreciated thank you.

Honestly this showcases a pretty clear difference that exists in the story presentation of Neltharion and Sylvanas. Neltharion is a story of corruption, the question being of ‘when’ rather then ‘why’. The player knows Neltharion went evil before they make an Evoker.
Add to that that Neltharion is supposedly a noble character before his corruption (something that neither the Undead Sylvanas nor the Forsaken has ever been) and there is a fundamental difference between the two.

Besides that, are there Forsaken players still angry about a 12 year old quote? I can understand anger about BfA but Cata was a long time ago.

1 Like

On that I agree.

Ren seemed to take offense at my comment. She does get a bit over heated when her theories are discussed.

The catastrophe I was mentioning was not Ren’s theory or idea - it is possible. The catastrophe would be how far Blizzard goes trying to hammer that connection, if her theory was true.

Which is why I mentioned Blizzard giving Calia some dragon fire powers. To further hammer that point. Maybe marrying Bolvar and having undead life babies of the light. I describe it as a catastrophe precisely because it could be true.

Ren makes a point - the Forsaken and Dracthyr have that to discuss. And she could be right, that Blizzard’s way of dealing with the Forsaken story is by ignoring them and telling a similar story through their new race.

It would be unfortunate if she was right - the Forsaken do not need new Races to tell their story for them. That does not mean I am saying she is wrong.

4 Likes

I’m offended that you continue to use language intended to get a negative reaction out of me. I do feel like there are deliberate attempts by you and your friends to dehumanze, degrade and gaslight me every time I post. It’s exhausting and it makes me question if posting here at all is worth my time or energy.

I wasn’t sharing a theory, I was discussing context of the scene and how myself, as a forsaken fan, found parallels between the Drakthyr and the Forsaken.

Not to make it about me, but what friends? They are probably more your friends than mine. You actually talked with them on discord and in game, outside the forums.

You even know when they are on Alts. I think they are whole new people until someone points out they are Alt posting.

3 Likes