@ Paladins

This will be disabled for sure

For those suggesting reckoning for leveling, sitting to get procs won’t work. It didn’t work in retail vanilla or the blizzcon demo. It almost certainly won’t work in classic. It’s just a pserver thing.

Ret + really slow weapon is best imo.

If you have a full pack of mobs on you, then max rank is a very reasonable “return on investment”. Anything else, rank 1 is fine, especially with Retribution Aura up.

Damage aside, believe me when I say that it’s nice to have a damage button to press. :slight_smile:

Consecrate eats quite a bit of mana, but its it’s worth it. People like to argue and claim it takes up too much mana to use anything besides Rank 1 while raiding, while I like to chug Major Mana Potions, Night Dragons, and Dark/Demonic Runes. There are only a few fights that last long enough where I go somewhat oom. And even then, you just need to switch to a faster weapon and judge wisdom for a little. With 16 debuffs most people won’t care either.

And consecrate also allows you to tank dungeons early if you wanna try it. Righteous fury + consecrate + exorcism in Shadowfang Keep? Ezclappers.

Definitely not the most efficient, but I find it the most enjoyable because of relative strength in dungeons vs a ret build. 12% + healing no mana use for a crit, +5% crit, plus a guaranteed crit CD.

You will find yourself accepting a lot of dungeon group LFM because that’s where your strength is, so you end up with a big friends list and a lot of blue OS gear from dungeons that only you can use. A lot of random blue plate gear that the warrior tank doesn’t want for example. That helps with the solo play a little, but still not as fast as a dps build though.

Incorrect:

Got linked over to this post from I assume Theloras, and I can shed a little light on Reckoning. Some of the info from my 14 year old guide was a little out-of-date: IIRC when the sticky dropped I stopped updating the guide.

Normally if you’re sitting down you would not get Reckoning charges from auto-attacks. However, you could gain charges from random NPCs by constantly sitting and standing up due to server lag: mob would try to attack you as your were sitting, so it’d be a forced crit. However, if you stood up just as you were getting hit, the server would see you as if you were standing and get a Reckoning charge.

How to be a Gankadin
Published on Aug 8, 2006

Murtaughs Reckoning HQ

originally published on warcraft movies on 2006-02-24
https://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=15930

1 Like

This thread is about efficient leveling. You can level quite efficiently as prot, but it involves pulling large numbers of mobs and AoEing them down with sword and board. Reckoning hardly even matters in that context. And compared to Ret + slow 2H, it is also bad at taking down single mobs. It’s a pure gimmick PvP spec, nothing more.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/484066218911727618/494625628679569408/almost_feel_sorry_for_him.jpg

Nah, man, I get it: Reck-bombing is extremely good at what it does, which is to kill almost anyone with wind-up, and naive players without.

But if you’re going to assert that 25 points in Prot is enough to /sit your way to 60 more efficiently than 31 in Prot or Ret, then I am not the problem here.

1 Like

you’re missing the point though - the most EFFICIENT way to level is:

1h + Shield + Reck + Redoubt + Ret Aura + Shield Spike + Reflect dmg items + /sit macro

rather than going full 31 points into Prot for Holy Shield or into the Holy tree for Consecration since both cost mana whereas the situation above costs ZERO mana

1 Like

Perhaps the OP can clarify what he/she meant by “efficient”, then: mana, or time?

As for “enjoyable”, I suppose spamming /sit floats some people’s boats, which is fine.

as Loial pointed out earlier - Consecration can work but it’s a huge mana hog and using Holy Shield on cd is as well - especially while levelling since your mana to damage return is much less due to zero gear with +spell damage while levelling

whereas using my setup costs ZERO mana for reflective dmg output

With a friend, nothing else matters.

1 Like

Yeah, if we are taking pure efficiency Theloras is correct. There are other ways to make yourself useful in PvP and dungeons, but if you are talking questing and grinding nothing is going to beat Prot. And it gives you an opportunity to tank dungeons.

People can scoff at it but Paladins tank 5-mans just fine.

I think being a Paladin you can’t really go wrong with leveling speed unless you go pure Holy. If you do that you are stuck doing very low DPS and healing dungeons.

Bubble + hearth stone

Agreed 100%

1 Like

I have nightmares of early leveling a paladin back in the day.

Sitting around just waiting for the auto-attack swing.

One thing to note is that it is reliant on the sit to crit thing working in Classic.

Which I know in Vanilla you could trick the server into thinking you were standing, but with the modern server architecture that may end up not happening.

If it doesn’t work, you’re probably looking at a Consecration build that is very mana hungry.

1 Like

The priest has to stand still to cast mana burn, and the paladin runs faster thanks to pursuit of justice.

There are classes that ‘just walk away’ isn’t an answer to. Priest is not one of those classes. They literally cannot do anything meaningful to you unless they stop to cast, and you run faster than them.

Mind Flay is a channeled spell. Its slow can be negated by Blessing of Freedom, or you can dispel and end the channel. Or, yes, you can just walk away while slowed; the priest isn’t moving at all, moving at half speed is still going to increase the distance.

This thread is actually making me consider making a paladin. :slight_smile: