Paladin Tanking in Classic

SPELLADIN says, “Hold my beer…”

2 Likes

You have my attention.

3 Likes

Don’t change paladin, if you start making changes you’ll completely ruin it. It was fine back then and it’ll be fine in classic.

Paladins are weaker in every way to druids and warriors. No raid will want a paladin tanking anything. Healing however…

1 Like

now come and join the SPELLADIN discord where I and the other top Paladin theory crafters are working to make it the new meta on Classic:

https://discord.gg/7ces3kZ

2 Likes

SPELLADIN isn’t a change - it’s the simple realization that we were doing it wrong the entire time - seriously though go to the forum thread I posted above and watch the video then join the discord

TLDR - don’t follow the AP Mongoloid anathema that a certain RetBull streamer is espousing and embrace the new SPELLADIN meta - you won’t regret it.

1 Like

Thel, my man, i know this. I was talking to OP, people always come in saying that paladins are too weak and want them fixed. What they can do is awesome and changes will just ultimately make it worse. Back in Vanilla i was a shockadin, the " spelladin" and a spell damage prot pally.

Problazer - when are you going to recruit me so that I can taunt Sareene some more?

ok my bad friend - been a long day in the sun sitting by the pool - daddy needs to rehydrate :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem at all.

Nothing like having high armor and being able to deal lots of spell damage, fun times will be had again.

1 Like

Appreciate the response. Were there not many tank-swap mechanics in vanilla raiding that could facilitate taking a prot pally?

It’s true that prot paladins had less tools than warriors but we also didn’t know what we know nowadays. Every prot paladin tried to gear like a warrior but that just doesn’t work, you just end up being a welfare warrior.

As someone who has mained Pally for a decade. I’ve never been so offended yet also in more agreement with a statement of my class in vanilla.

My favorite thing was leveling and having an ability (exorcism) which you could never use, outside of afew leveling zones. We literally were just an auto attack based character leveling with afew mods, but not really. I remember when we got Seal of Blood & Vegence we lost our freaking minds, because we could actually level alittle easier.

Granted that wasn’t until TBC.

1 Like

I recall too, this character is my original vanilla toon. BC/Wotlk certainly were the golden ages of prot and ret becoming main stream. That being said, i wouldn’t change anything about vanilla paladins.

Anyone else remember that really tanky prot healing build in wotlk? Weird little specs like that was what made the game fun. Vanilla has so many of them.

1 Like

Despite it being our dark age, I wouldn`t either. I always told people, we are the Paladins. We are not ment to be the strongest or weakest, we are the literal definition of a support class.

1 Like

Paladins are the best 5 man tank, but raiding is sketchy b/c you have no taunt.

3 Likes

We have the best taunt of all…Ahem.
" Vanilla prot paladins were the best tanks for all raid tiers"
You’d be surprised how much aggro you can acquire with that.

10 Likes

I never wanted to be MT. I actually liked being the OT. I liked having higher utility and a few “tricks up my sleeve”. There’s more than enough people wanting to be the EPIC MT RAIDING GOD!1!!1!… Feel free, you tank the boss, I’ll take the rest of them.

Warriors are Major “Dutch” Schaeffer from predator.
Paladins are Col. Scott McCoy from Delta Force series.

2 Likes

I can only guess you mean Blessing of Protection because that’s your only way of getting aggro is to BOP the other tank. But that relies solely on you being second on the threat list, or otherwise the boss is going on a murder spree.

BOP has a 2 min cooldown at most. And taunting is an important mechanic in Vanilla. You won’t be able to tank Rajaxx or any of the dragons which do wing buffet, for example.

EDIT: Oh you were telling a joke I think. But still this info is important lol.

The main problem with paladin OTs in raids is that there are simply too many encounters that can not be off tanked by the paladin. A fury warrior on the other hand can OT them all, and does good damage when not needed to tank. The prot paly just sits around being carried.