Paladin Reckoning does not work as it should

Maybe I’m not reading your post the right way but…

Reckoning by it’s description should be doing physical damage not holy, it’s simply allowing more auto attacks.

Righteousness also does do holy damage as I’ve seen the damage it does increase when I judge crusader prior.

Also your post mentions reckbombs, if you’re aren’t sitting there getting whacked a bunch of times by multiple crits it’s only going to grant one or two additional swings which isn’t “that” much.

Reckoning is working how it is supposed to. Also this patch is 15 years old, why would you think they would do anything? Lol.

Some tips on reckoning for a new paladin;

1: it does not work like it should, but it’s working how it works so we have to deal with it.

2: turn your auto attack off after every melee swing that you do. For whatever reason if your auto attack is on, when you get crit you simply gain haste that’s similar to parry haste, meaning your melee swing timer is greatly reduced. But if your auto attack is turned off then it WILL grant an extra attack on your next swing. This will stack to 5 total attacks, or 4 bonus attacks.

3: seal of command is garbage for reckoning. You will see no more than 1 proc for it. Your best use for reckoning is seal of righteousness. When unloading a reck bomb your combat log will show all your melee attacks in a row and half a second later all your seal of righteousness will land. If your target dies from the melee bomb you may not see the seal damage.

4: if you change targets after being crit, you will lose your reckoning stacks. Don’t switch targets.

5: if you are incapacitated you will lose your reckoning stacks. Sap, blind, gouge, etc. all cause you to lose your stacks.

6: if you’re sheeped you will lose your stacks.

7: if you change weapons you will lose your stacks.

Reckoning can be a lot of fun to play with but it requires a lot more micro management of your auto attack and cooldown usage than other talent builds and it can be wasted by other players (or mobs) CC. There’s also a weakaura code you can download to track your stacks. I’d recommend using it, but when you die or lose stacks from CC it doesn’t reset just FYI.

No. No it’s not. When you’re dpsing in raids and dungeons you should not be getting crit and stacking reckoning. The most viable (but still broken) dps spec for paladins is deep ret.

2 Likes

Reckoning does not at all work like it used to in Vanilla. They made some Classic changes to it to specifically nerf it. Not like the OP thinks though.

4 Likes

It’s not crucial for PvP it’s actually trash and pretty much just a meme to gimp yourself with that many points in prot

Reckoning is crucial for PVP not DPS … It does not work with seal of righteousness i have tested it in combat log it does not show spell damage. My Paladin is level 43 i used to have it reckoning and i was forced to respec because it did not work.

2: turn your auto attack off
This is what i am talking about we should not do that in order to get an extra swing Blizzard has to fix that. its hard to do that for every swing. How on earth you do that?

havent tried reckoning yet but LOVED it back in the day on my paladin that i started from day 1

if it doesnt work how it used to and you have to do all this nonsense to make it work then that is very disappointing.

I remember dueling rogues out front of IF (early on so everyone was a noob) and just stand still healing myself with ret aura on and would have these rogues kill themselves on me from that and reckoning

If it is wonky I really hope Blizzard looks into it and makes it the fun ability it used to be, even if the do cap the stacks at 5 (it used to have no limit lol)

That is false, reckoning works correctly as it did in 1.12. We have threads from over a year ago with numerous guides and archives from 05-06’ validating it as well as the reference client.

2 Likes

My guess is that you’re either trolling, or you have no idea what they patched onto reckoning in classic.

There were multiple nerfs to Reckoning in Vanilla. When classic first launched, reckoning had all of those nerfs. Blizzard nerfed it further. One of their devs probably got killed by a Pally or something when he let his stunlock fall off.

its not 1.12.1 LOL its got nurfs cus whorde cryed

you lose stacks if you use the autoattack reset/macro and when you mount and when you sit

this is to prevent you from building stacks and running around burstshotting everything

so blizzard when are you nurfing shammies crit BS cus that’s obv abusive too and not what the TOOLTIP say’s…

also when are you not going too not use vague patchnotes that list nothing about the nurfs

so toxic blizzard

This is wrong. Here I made an Imgur account and posted proof for you.
https://imgur.com/gallery/kWCZfwo

Make a stop attack macro like this;

#showtooltip Judgement
/startattack
/cast judgement
/stopattack

This way your auto attack is turned off after each judgement. When your swing timers up hit your judgement and it will attack, judgement if cooldown is up, and then turn off your swing. Don’t get me wrong it’s not perfect, and it shouldn’t work like this. But this is how Blizzard changed it to work after classics launch when a lot of people were crying about reck bombs.

elemental mastery works the same way a holy paladins divine Favor works. It says the next spell is a guaranteed crit. You can use spell batching to get 2 crits from EM, and 2 crits from DF. Just cast a holy light, and spam your holy shock keybind and you’ll get both heals to land crits every time.

It’s not the talent that’s broken, it’s spell batching.

Why didn’t my Reckoning bomb go off?
The following things can cause you to drop your charges:

• Ending a Duel

• Mounting up

• Autoattacking too early (e.g. from out of range)

• Zoning in or out of an instance

• Using repentence

• Switching Weapons

Isn’t this “Reckoning Bomb” an exploit?
Several months ago Reckoning recieved a bug hotfix of its own. This hotfix put a hard cap of 4 on the number of charges capable of being stored. So, one can safely assume that the developers know exactly what is going on, and have chosen to allow it.

Can I sit down to force a crit and gain a charge?
Charges generated by the forced crit when you sit do not activate reckoning.

Will the charges last through being stunned/stunlocked?
Assuming you leave your autoattack disabled, the charges will persist, and continue to be generated through stuns.

How long do charges last?
Long enough. It seems like a few minutes or so to me; if you heal for a minute and then release you’ll see them all. If you duel a rogue friend, charge up, and then run across the map to find a horde to kill, they will likely evaporate. So, as long as you use it sensibly you shouldn’t notice an issue.

All direct quotes from Bacon’s guide from 2006 dated 1.10.

So do try again.

1 Like

And all of those were documented in Bacon’s guide from 2006 so do try to at least attempt to research stuff before complaining about your crappy mechanics you literally have zero idea about.

1 Like

Yes. Though its worth mentioning that the sit bug was recurring and kept popping back up, thanks to batching, and was never fixed quite right.

And from your own little research you can see that changing targets shouldn’t drop your stacks. It currently does. Blizz made it work like combo points, which is not how it worked in Vanilla at all.

You know they have changed reckoning 7+ times over classic yeah?

Actually that’s in the guide as well, the sit bug in classic is from the inflated 400ms batching window. That is it.

So working as intended with blizzard bs batching inflation.

1 Like

Blizzard couldn’t help themselves, made changes to reck and nerfed Paladins yet again.

2 Likes

How old is that log i have tested on a 35level paladin on NPC and my log does not say anything about spell damage. it only shows the physical damage i suggest blizzard to have a look at that. Reckoning does not do spell damage with SOR.

I took that pic not even a month ago. And I’ve seen plenty of other seals proccing since then. Seal of righteousness lands on every melee attack you do. There’s no reason it shouldn’t be.

Reckoning got changed in classic as a side effect of fixing a bug with Hand of Justice and got broken (and apparently sword specialization for warriors got broken with the same HoJ fix). They fixed those things, but reckoning as a result of all of these changes does not act anything like it did in vanilla. In fact, if a paladin with reckoning gets crit multiple times in quick succession, they don’t even auto-attack. It does something funky with the attack timer.

For instance, here is a blue post about fixes to reckoning: Reckoning after yesterday's patch - #123 by Aggrend-1483