Paladin Leveling as Prot

A prot paladin has to drink a lot more than a ret paladin will have to. Time spent sitting twiddling your thumbs is time spent not gaining XP.

1 Like

Does wonders for your dexterity though.

I’m almost level 63 as a prot pally, 100% of Hellfire quests done, and working on Zangarmarsh. It’s a lot of fun to level as prot, and faster too if you do it right. Avoid single pulls whenever possible. 2 at the minimum, 3 is ideal, and 4+ if you are feeling risky. Any pulls larger than 3 are highly dependent on the mob type and mob levels (3 level 62 casters will be much harder than 6 level 58 birds for example).

Holy shield and rank 1 conc on CD and things will die. You can do several pulls before having to stop for mana if you are conservative with your abilities.

3 Likes

I definitely enjoy leveling as prot. All the advice here has been pretty sound. I think the amount of drinking is exaggerated. You won’t have mana issues if you down rank Consecrate, work SoW into your rotation, and don’t spam abilities.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned: keep your old shield when you upgrade as a backup. You’ll be blocking A LOT and shield durability will become a limiting factor.

2 Likes

Ret quests faster
Prot is way faster if you plan to dungeon spam

2 Likes

My experience so far.

Prot is slower in general right now because it can be hard to get a decent group of multiple mobs as so many people are in the same areas you are. I expect this to improve over time as players spread out more.

Also as prot, when you do get a group of mobs together and use concencration, you stand a strong risk of getting additional adds as players drag mobs into your AoE either on purpose or by accident, which can mess you up if you are already at your maximum. A tactic I have seen multiple times is while you are AoE questing, players will notice and tag mobs then drag them to you to try and get you to burn them down. Watch for this, and switch to single target when needed.

You will be drinking a lot. Prot burns mana quick even with Seal of Wisdom.

1 Like

Prot is prob as fast as Ret.

less stopping to drink.

Just an update from me if anyone is curious. I switched over to prot and 58 and went to outlands.
Gotta say it was a bit rough at first without the spell damage but as I’ve been picking up gear from the quests it’s starting to be a lot of fun.
Depending on the mobs I can burn done 3-4 at a time currently without too much trouble, casters are a pain though for sure.
I feel like I’m drinking about the same amount really compared to ret so no complaints there and the time to kill three mobs together vs 3 mobs one at a time is probably about the same as I had been doing before. Hellfire is still a bit congested so it can be tough getting multiple mobs sometime is probably my main complaint, which someone else had mentioned could be an issue.

1 Like

By far the biggest problem I’ve found leveling as prot is having enough mobs to AoE together. So many camps have casters, with no LoS points, or the mobs are really spread out and have healing.

It’s not that slow once you get seal of vengeance to do solo kills. But until then you make up a lot of time just doing dungeons to offset how slow your quests will be.

I’d personally hold off on specing prot until at least lvl 68. You should be able to tank most of the TBC leveling dungeons fine as ret with a shield.

1 Like

prot is like 120% faster than ret because everyone and their mom will want you to tank dungeons

so get in there and spam all the way to 70
then you can respect into whatever you want

Just level through dungeons. Tanks are needed constantly and people are spamming dungeons right now.

I might do a bit of grinding but I’m not in a hurry. I’d rather do the quests and go through the zones and take my time.

1 Like

Prot is faster then Ret

Yeah I am in no hurry either. I just hope they don’t rush the phases like they did in classic cause the streamers got bored after clearing everything in a few weeks so casual players fell so far behind.

Wasnt even just casuals. If you didnt buy gold and never did GDKP and were in a guild that used DKP, unless you were thete from day 1 with the highest DKP…you were not getting gear simply because there was not enough time.

Its why I stopped playing near the beginning of naxx. Had 5-6 others infront of me with all the loot I wanted. If you would assume we cleared every week AND the items actually dropped, I was looking at getting NAXX geared by late July…

Most players fell into getting scraps and never the “big ticket” items unless you were doing GDKP, Loot Council Favorite, or some lucky SR pug.

Phases were way too short to fully gear 40 players in classic. Other than a few pieces of teir I stopped getting loot after BWL.

2 Likes

If you are lvling prot find a healer like me and you can pull upwards of 10 packs, when I get to do with with a pally we can clear entire quests in 1-5 pulls depending the quest/drop rates. If it’s a priest let her snipe for life tap and they won’t oom and neither will you with them healing you.

It’s some of the fastest lvling available. Now if you solo lvl as prot it’s a different story as you will need to drink a lot more.

Ive been doing pretty well so far leveling as prot the whole way.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.