Paladin direction

Hi all, i hope you all are well, and safe.

I need some direction as i k8nd of gotten my self into a puckle and im not sure what to do.

Long story short i made a guild alittle while ago with friends called this Bladed Lotus.

My rogue was running this guild, its more or less a merc guild, that will take jobs as long they dont harm azeroth, our over all goal is to protect azeroth, and if we have to do a underhanded thing or there, while we may not like it we will do it ( within reason)

However im having two problems now, One i may be switching back to my og toon my ret paladin.

But how would a paladin A): be apart of a mercenary guild?, B): how could a paladin run and organization like that.

Last question

I really do want to rp my paladin again but i really would like not rping so much focuas with a church, or religion. Is that possible as a human or a high elf

I wanted to be a unaffected gilnean but i dont know if that would be possible without so much focuas being the church or religious.

And tips would be a very huge help, if i cant figure this out i may just have to stick with the rogue.

Thank you inadvance for taking the time to read and answer, much appreciated

I am a Paladin, and I run a shipping and trading company. But you can read that as pirates. She is played as an unaffiliated Paladin with any church or religious group. She started with formal training and such, but she has seen too much hypocrisy to believe in those formal organizations anymore.

Many times in lore, it is proven over and over that conviction in the Light can help you wield the Light. You don’t have to be Silver Hand or Argent or Chruch of the Holy Light affiliate to do so.

1 Like

I fail to see any particular conflict between Paladins and mercenary work. Contract work, either independent or with a company, can provide many opportunities to serve one’s interest. Not every Paladin is a holy crusader, some are just soldiers and do normal soldier things, just with the addition of divine powers. Halford Wyrmbane is a notable example.

It should also be worth mentioning that a Paladin is hardly any more obliged to part of an organization than any other class. I imagine some affiliation might be in one’s history, due to circumstance, but there isn’t much that would permanently bind one to a particular group. It may also be worth noting one doesn’t have to be areligious to avoid being a zealot or the like, assuming this is your motive to divorcing your Paladin from religion. There is generally nothing stopping one from being both pious and pragmatic; my own Paladins are like that, save one. Regardless given the actual power is more a matter of will and faith in the power itself, being unaffiliated with organized religion is technically valid.

1 Like

Both previous posts are quite right. Another thing to keep in mind is that, if your paladin does have faith in the Holy Light, and, when he is able, may go say a prayer at a chapel, that doesn’t mean he needs to push said beliefs on anyone else.

His beliefs are his beliefs. If others believe differently, that’s on them. He acts according to what he feels is best for him and his people, for all Azeroth, perhaps, but what others do, is their business.

You might have him run a bit of a plausible deniability thing. “I need this fixed. I don’t care how, I don’t want to know how, just make this the result!”

1 Like

Thank you all for your great ideas, they have been super helpful

Just to add to this, one doesn’t have to necessarily be a ‘goody two shoes’ or even good aligned to be a paladin. As long as your conviction and belief in the Light is strong, anyone can use it regardless of standing or alignment. The Scarlet Crusade is a great example of this, as they were fanatical zealots but had no issues at all in wielding the Light for their purposes.

You could use the silver hand weapon transmog and run around carrying the last copy of a book, sharing it with the world. Until you find a talented scribe (your next character in your journey) who decides to create copies and share your word with the world.

That’s one avenue for getting OUT of the religious conundrum. You could then expand and become more of a dark paladin, with your word fully out you see no need to share, simply experience and defeat those who do not bow before you. Maybe your mercenaries go through a dark age where they use your word and their own understanding to enact their own will upon azeroth. I think you need to give yourself a challenge to overcome more than a holy path to follow.

1 Like

Wow thats a different way of looking at things i wouldnt have even thought of that. Thanks for the tips that a really good idea thank you :slight_smile:

Remember that Paladins aren’t policemen. They don’t necessarily enforce the law. They are military, and they enforce Justice. The underworld is a sketchy place, where people do sketchy things because they are vulnerable. That doesn’t mean they aren’t also deserving of protection, and not the sort that shakes them down for money.

A Paladin can have a personal stake - loved ones to protect - or simply be a sort of missionary, not seeking converts, but to bring the practical assistance of the Light to those with the least access, and the greatest need.

I feel obliged to point out my favorite Paladin “Paladin” of this classic Western show.

At the end of the day looking at our four “Paladin Archtypes” in Warcraft The Paladin of the Light (and less represented but following the same vein Zandalari Prelates), The Draenic Vindicator, The Sin’dorei Blood Knight, and the Sunwalker Tauren only 2 of four are focused on “morality” as compared to “Justice”.

There are many paths to wielding the Light that are more focused on the dedication and conviction in their beliefs. So while your paladin may have started in the moral traditional path of the Church of the Light they may have found a path of conviction that was no longee in line with the Church’s ideals.

1 Like

Thank you all, please keep the ideas rolling they all have been great. I have switched everything over to soren my pally and its time to start my adventure with him. I can not express how helpful all your tips and suggestions have been.

Thank you all

1 Like