Overwolf Client and Addon Management - PLEASE Don't Support This!

Well, when I read “work around” I think “despite them having restricted their api, we can still download it from them”. You could also see if Devs will use GitHub, I use GitHub Desktop (a git client of which there are many) to download addon updates from git.

You just find the repo you want, I’ll use AllTheThings since I already have that in my client https://github.com/DFortun81/AllTheThings/tree/master When there’s an update you’ll see the little down arrow next to the addon, then you can just click it and click pull origin at the top and you’ll update

https://i.postimg.cc/BZDZWJcp/image.png

Git isn’t really “idk what I’m doing” friendly though and still requires the developer to post their addon there.

They don’t dude. You’re defending scumbags. Their whole schtick is taking over things like Curseforge, that were built by others and popularized by others, then baking in their overlays and other garbage into using those popular platforms.

You are literally defending human trash.

Very few add-on devs operate directly on github.

And no one is going to want to learn Git to upgrade addons, come on dude.

3 Likes

I know, it’s sad, I like just using git

He asked

1 Like

Yeah, but let’s be realistic here. No one is going to go pull even the master branch in a git repo to upgrade an add-on.

At best people are going to use the “release” tab on Github where devs can list release packages for direct download.

if they don’t allow them, then close the overlay correct? It’s not like someone is standing behind you with a gun to your head. Open the task manager, find the app and hit close. Done!

Now them restricting access if you have it closed too much is a scum bag move, I totally agree with you there.

Clearly your lack the ability to actually understand what you are reading. Either way, this has bored me enough. It is their servers, if they want to they could throw them in a freaking lake and there is nothing you could do about it. You have no legal right to access the data on it without their permission.

Video of the ads that play in Hearthstone with the Overwolf overlay.

11 Likes

Now that I look

already supports github, so it’d just be a matter of devs using it.

3 Likes

Can I pay to remove said ads?

It’s nice you think malware is easy to root out like that, especially when its tied to a platform that they took hostage in order to force monetization (which is against the ToS).

You think they’ll just let you kill the process on their overlay and keep downloading your add-ons for free ? Their goal is to make you pay a sub to bypass the overlay.

I can make a system easily where an overlay that hasn’t been running will message the client to prevent any add-on access, and I’m not some firm that will profit off such a thing.

Clearly you don’t understand who Overwolf are and what they have done over the years.

3 Likes

Please don’t encourage that kind of behavior.

6 Likes

Yep. This is what I’ve been saying all along. If we can get a critical mass of addon devs to move, the rest will follow the exodus from curseforge, at which point overwolf will be forced to capitulate and we win. This is the best possible scenario for both addon creators and players.
Don’t let the fake argument of “giving addon devs money” fool you. It’s nothing but a scam for addon devs. Sure they’ll get some money to begin with but we all know how this schtick goes. It’s been happening since the 1990’s on the Internet.

1. Players passionate about something contribute to that which they are passionate about (e.g. add-ons) with zero expectation of monetary compensation
  2. Scumbag corp smells an opportunity and offers said contributors some quick bucks.
  3. In exchange, scumbag corp insert themselves as the man in the middle and lock down what was once an open and thriving community.
  4. Scumbag corp gets more and more heavy handed with their shilling resulting in disgust by the player base eventually leading to player apathy and quitting.
  5. Community becomes an empty husk of its former self as both contributors and consumers leave.
  6. Scumbag corp, now realising they’ve driven the platform into the ground, abandon everyone in the community and, like a locust, move onto their next victim to wring some more temporary ad revenue from before the cycle repeats once more.
10 Likes

My god that looks disgusting and awful. Plus cigarette ads? Aren’t those illegal now? They are in Australia.

2 Likes

Supporting this.

Addon authors need to upload their stuff to other sites like wowinterface if we are to have any hope. Those guys have the minion addon manager i use for ESO.

There is no chance that Blizzard will allow this to happen unmitigated unless Blizzard is receiving a cut of the money.

I switched to the wowup addon manager

it’s working pretty well

Honestly, I refuse to support Overwolf. Their reputation alone is bad enough that the idea of having their client on my computer is concerning. I just got done writing down all of my addons last night, and as soon as the Twitch client no longer supports Curseforge, I will be going to the website directly and updating my addons there.

Overwolf, if you’re reading? Lemme be clear. I will not use your client. I would rather take the extra 15-20 minutes, and simply update my addons weekly as a Tuesday ritual, than sit here and use your client.

7 Likes

Does anyone know what this secret api is that theyre using to corner the market on addons is? Is this an api for addon developers? – because Daddy above (lol soz have to chuckle at that name) said he could make a python script that auto updates a persons addons. seems like a few more steps and it could be made generic enough for the masses.

That’s been done, you guys want that? Here you go, a list of addon updaters

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

I think it’s just the curseforge api. Since the addons are hosted there then if they disable/change/restrict the api then those scripts and addons won’t work. I’m not api wizard or anything though so I could be wrong

1 Like