Overload Gather spec 10.0.5 changes

With the recent 10.0.5 PTR Patch notes, I wanted to talk about the changes to Overload spec.

You can read the full patch notes here, but this is the main point of what I wanted to discuss.

• Overload Elemental Deposit and Overload Elemental Herb has been slightly redesigned:
    • Overloading cooldown is no longer modified by gathering mining or herb nodes.
    • Overload is now taught to all Miners and Herbalists after collecting their first Elemental themed node.
    • Mastering the Elements unlock point now restores Overload cooldown reduction functionality.
      • Developers’ note: Overload offers the occasional moment to allow gatherers to not only change up their gameplay, but also to gain a nice bonus of extra elemental reagents. Requiring a specialization investment to engage with the system felt too restrictive and also did not offer all Gatherers the same opportunity to try something new. By shifting the cooldown reduction onto the unlock point and unlocking the spell for all Gatherers, everyone has an opportunity to participate but also get a better understanding of what the feature is offering before investing points into the specialization tree.

This seems like a generally good change as most people may not even be aware of how this mechanic works. The concern I have is that I have an Herbalist who fully specced into this tree because I wanted Overload, but since its being changed, are those that spent the points down this tree, going to get our Knowledge points refunded?

I can understand if I made a mistake in a tree because I may have mis read it on Alpha / Beta / Live, but something that Blizzard changes down the line, we should be refunded our points back.

This question is also for any future Blizzard changes to our Profession specs as well.

2 Likes

This is where it would really grind my gears if I was full invested in the overload tree. They are giving it for free to everyone now and if they DONT offer a reset to everyone who specced into it will be left in the dust. The only reason I never ended up spending points in this is because I used all ny points in finesse trees thinking it was the way to go. This change now is extremely good for me while basically terrible for everyone else IF they dont do a refund.

3 Likes

I’m… confused? The only thing that changed it instead of learning Overload Elemental Deposit/Herb when you choose a sub-spec at 25/50/75/100 - instead they’re making us learn it when we first mine an elemental vein, then having the cooldown reduction be from the single point.

This doesn’t affect people who invested literally at all? Unless there’s more to it than was posted?

I think their “explanation” threw you off - cause what I described is all those notes say is changing.

Overload is literally learned on live right now as soon as you unlock the sub specialization, which you do at either 25, 50, 75, or 100. You don’t have to invest at all. - I haven’t invested at all, and overload all the time.

I do think they should make it more obvious that you have the ability though - I keep meeting people who don’t know about the ability because it’s tucked away in the General Tab.

I say fully invest in it, because once you choose a node under Mastering the Elements, it pretty much locks you out of the other options because you choose Overload as your first option, but Blizzard changed it so you don’t have to learn this node in the coming patch.

If that was pushed to live at the start of the expansion, I would not have choosen this path and would have went somewhere else, hence the ask for a refund because of a Blizzard change of how the profession specialization works.

2 Likes