Out of Control Singular Topic In Trade

Good morning. I’ve tried to report this in-game repeatedly, but it doesn’t seem to have done anything GM wise.

Trade chat on Wyrmrest Accord is absolutely out of control. I don’t mean the average Murloc+Movie Titles or Thunderfury linking, that happens everywhere and I can deal with that, no problem. RP Guild spam? Can handle that, too.

The problem is that every single time I log into a character in a major city that is in /2, the conversation is ALWAYS, 100% OF THE TIME, about a certain type of 1942 German War Subject Group (the limiter would not let me point out the word) and/or Facism or White Pride/that sort of thing. Every time. Constantly. To the point where people who are trying to change the subject or talk about something else, are getting drowned out by it. Bringing up the question of why people continue to talk about this garbage just gets overlooked entirely.

Frankly, it’s enough to make me leave the channel entirely, and as someone who does their best to use Trade to access guild adverts for in-game business ventures, looking for PUG groups for PvP or PvE, and items for sale/hawking my lockpicking business on my Rogue, it’s frustrating on every level to have to wedge in-game relevant conversation in over these people who apparently have decided that Trade is their personal political/sociological debate forum for all things 1942 German War Subject Group (and how it relates to Republicans and our current government, apparently).

It’s not even like it’s a ‘happens at a certain time’ thing. I log in at 2am, boom, 1942 German War Subject Group talk. Log in at 4 in the afternoon, boom, more 1942 German War Subject Group/Facism talk. Log in at 10pm at night, oh look, more people talking about Trump and 1942 German War Subject Group.

I get that this game has a lot of ‘freedom of speech’ deals, but ffs there has to be something that can be done about this. It’s getting exhausting constantly seeing this stuff take over Trade, and it’s not even like it’s the same people doing it (there’s several people consistently doing it, I report them every time/have put them on ignore because it’s absolutely ridiculous they can’t find something else to talk about, but it never fails, every time I log in it’s the topic of conversation once again?). There’s a ton of different people (or perhaps the same people on alts? Something a GM would know, I wouldn’t, unless I added them to RID and lol not happening).

Please, please, please have someone log in and check this out. It’s a little ridiculous. I’d like to see WoW-related convos or even movie/tv show or anything else but this being plastered in and overwhelming people trying to actually use Trade for Trading. It’s been this way since I transferred to this server several months ago, and it’s getting to be way, way too much. I’ll take people whining over gear drops or calling Alliance garbage in PvP over this mess. I deal with it enough IRL plastered all over every website front-page, talked about by every group of politically-minded people I know. I play this game to get away from this crap, not to constantly have to fight it every time I log in and try to make gold in Trade.

Actually it doesn’t. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with a private game and in-game chat.

What you’re describing is very much against the rules. All you need to do is right-click and report for language. That’s all Blizz need you to do. Report each person using inappropriate language or topics.

That said, they only look at reports. They will not log in to police such chat. It just doesn’t work that way.

Report and encourage others to do the same.

7 Likes

I can certainly imagine, Koraervus, and I am sorry for the frustration, but unless they are specifically using inappropriate language and/or subject matter, there really isn’t anything that we would be able to do.

If they are using inappropriate language/subject matter, please report the lines with the language and a Game Master will be able to take a look.

I can’t say that for certain, Perl. While the subject is certainly full of pitfalls, that doesn’t make it against policy. Discussing certain aspects of that subject, certainly can be considered a violation of our policies, and should be reported, but I can’t blanket say all discussion would be.

To follow up on what Perl said… We allow for players to discuss any number of subjects and we certainly don’t wish to inhibit a players ability to do so. However, in our game or on our forums the constitutionally guaranteed “Freedom of Speech” isn’t applicable, we are not the U.S. government, which is what that amendment covers. We function like any other business in that we may prohibit certain behaviors within our “walls”. If such language/subject matter violates the policies that we put forward, we will take appropriate actions, which may include a silence, suspension from game or closure of an account (depending on the severity and frequency/history on the account).

7 Likes

You may not be the government but you are Americans but I dig the jist of what your are saying

O.o I fail to see how being Americans have any bearing on the matter, other than I should have a fairly good grasp on our founding documents. Being Americans doesn’t extend Constitutional Amendments to other entities outside of what they were intended for. My gist, as it were, was simply that we don’t wish to prohibit a players ability to speak normally with other players, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t restrictions. Those restrictions are usually ones based on the standard civil contract of a society in how one is expected to behave in certain environments.

13 Likes

You might want to look up free speech! Only between you and the government! Even then with in reason as it does not let you say anything you want with out facing possibly some kind of backlash or punishment for what you say.

You can not threaten someone in government and not expect something to happen.

Private companies like blizzard can restrict any kind of things they wish too.

I strongly admire this, honestly. Heated discussions of “sensitive” subjects are bound to happen, and I am so glad you won’t ban under the preface of them simply speaking of the subject and instead only worry about when people take it too far.

1 Like

While it may be tedious at first, the “Ignore” function can do wonders to clean up trade chat (this assumes you don’t want to hear from or do in-game business with folks talking about the topic).

They’re free to say what they want as long as they toe the Community Guidelines, but “free” speech has consequences, in your case, they won’t get to partake in your services.

While I am not a fan of religious or political discussion in any social environment, due to the fact that it can lead to heated arguments, I will only file a report IF the conversation breaks the CoC.

It’s gotten a lot better over the last few days, so I’m not sure if Blizz has been paying attention to the reports or what, I know I wasn’t the only person reporting some of these people. I did put all those posting the worst of it on ignore, and reported them (obviously - I don’t feed into the whole ‘let them stay off ignore and complain about them’ thing, that’s just ridiculous).

And if it’s not something that can be typed on the Forums, I imagine it’s not something they want people talking about in-game? These people were down to making jokes about killing people and ‘breeding out’ minorities, it certainly wasn’t something appropriate for anyone to be reading - and it’s not like it’s profanity that the filter would have taken care of, and it certainly is promoting hate against all but one demographic of people. It was by no means appropriate and I really hope the people who thought saying some of that stuff was okay, got the ban hammer for at least a little while. It was disgusting. Certainly not something I want new people coming to the game/visitors to my favorite server seeing for their first impression.

I have pretty reasonably thick skin from dealing with people on this game for the last decade+, but even I get worn out from listening to the same psychobabble from people who clearly are trying to use this game to net themselves like-minded, hateful individuals. It’s been nice the last few days to have civil discussions (and even some uncivil but entirely WoW-Related ones) with people in /2. Thank you, Vrakthris (and other posters), for the feedback!

Exactly Vorsol. 100% Correct.

See Twitter, Facebook, and Apple podcasts for example. They have all censored certain individuals that are not lock step with their political agenda. Freedom of speech does not apply UNLESS it was being pushed on them from the government to deplatform said individuals. Apple, et al, can do that as much or as little as they want.

To the OP, report them. Just sit there for 10 minutes and right click every name spouting off about notsees or whatever the topic was. Maybe even report same for bringing non-RP subject matter to an RP realm? I have heard the RP’ers will eat their own when it comes to that.

But will the IGNORE function work like it should, BLOCK ALL TOONS FROM THAT SAME ACCOUNT. Otherwise one might end up ignoring over 50ish toons from the same individual.

it works for me ingame.

1 Like