Organized mass report to silence players you don't like

Guilds are organizing mass language reports on players they don’t like just to silence them and grief their accounts. They then wait until they speak again then reporting them again on different accounts.

There is no consequence to falsely reporting players.

10 Likes

I suspect this is fake news.

PS: there is no automated silence.

2 Likes

Maybe dont talk trash in world chat?

nah i have seen people do it my self in a few guilds i was in on other end.

Not even that, people who break brackets are getting griefed cause they refuse to participate.

3 Likes

Dont you need to say something in chat to get reported in the first place? How does it work?

1 Like

Yeah say 1 thing or even emote and u can be reported.

3 Likes

Did Blizzard disable squelches in Classic? Cause that is absolutely true on retail, and though I haven’t bothered to check, I remember hearing about this in Classic in the early days.

2 Likes

It is 100% confirmed and tested on alt accounts, you can grief the other fraction by reporting them as well if they start spamming anything in /y.

If in an open world battle tell everyone in your raid group to report the guy yellign phrases and he will get a 24 hr chat ban within 10 mins.

4 Likes

It’s absolutely not. There is a guild on my server named after the new branch of military that mass reports people for doing things they don’t like. It’s a thing, and it’s the worst.

4 Likes

Done it to known botters to kick them offline, totally exists.

1 Like

Pags, what happened to your post? Did you face some consequences?

12 Likes

While there is no automatic silence. There is auto squelch.
I wouldnt be surprised at all that guilds are doing this.
Its happened in other MMORPGs I was playing before WoW.

2 Likes

No, the reports will cause them to get their account silenced for 24 hrs on nothing more than reports.

It has happened to me multiple times… trying to kill world bosses and going for bracket 1 slots in pvp w/o coordinating with certain guilds will get you silenced. The automated system is a joke and should be removed from classic. It does more harm than good.

Had to wait 3 days for a ticket to be answered with the response “We wont remove it” and another day for the second ticket for them to finally remove it on one of the occasions.

5 Likes

Squelches are automated. Silences are GM actions.

2 Likes

It is just cancerous without repercussion. Abusing the reporting system should warrant account bans at the very minimum.

It’s even worse on retail where targeted name report harrassment is used to force enemy disconnects during rated battlegrounds and world pvp.

You know the saying… “Exploit early, exploit often”. This exploit is apparently still in the early stages even after years of abuse.

It’s not like it would take a genius to tell harassment from legitimate reports. But it would require employees, and those cost $$$.

It wasn’t a big problem in vanilla because actual GMs would investigate. If you were wronged you could explain your situation to a real person that same day. That level of customer service reflected the company’s pride in their product. It’s unfathomable to think of ever receiving that level of customer service from Blizzard these days.

4 Likes

Okay? And how does this difference matter when you’re squelched and can’t actually talk?

1 Like

Silenced as in they can’t talk in game channels like /y /s and the zone channels like /1 /2 and LFG. Which might be the same as squelching.

2 Likes

You can get mass reported and silenced in Heroes of the storm, so they probably have it in Classic.

1 Like