Opinions on model editing clothing bugs out of client-side?

Summary: Model editing to fix clothing bugs the devs won’t help with. How risky would that be in terms of a ban? I’m curious what the community thinks, after seeing similar but years old threads. Feel free to share any clothing items you’re having issues with.

I’ve had a really hard time finding an outfit I like on my male Vulpera. The one I really want to wear (Imp Overseer’s Vest from Antorus) has a collar that clips through the back of his head any time he moves. It’s really immersion breaking and not worth wearing as it is. I know it’s “old content” but if this could be solved by simply reducing the length of the collar via a model edit, that would be worth the effort, to me. This obviously wouldn’t effect gameplay at all, and I know other people would still see it clipping.

Likewise; my female Worgen’s tier 10.1 Druid Gloves (Gladiator’s Obsidian Leather grips) are not sticking to her character model. I mean it, it’s god awful, they just float away from her elbow. They follow her upper arm, not her forearm. I’ve sent several bug reports and tickets for over half a year now and they’ve only been able to tell me “We know about it.” I worked hard in PVP to get the outfit before finding out about this issue, I paid money to play the game to get it, so like… you know?

I can’t share screenshots, apparently, so please just believe me that it’s horrible to look at.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a discussion on the topic, but as of a few years ago, Blizzard was interpreting the TOS to ban client-side model injection. Suspensions and all, even if it were being done for benign cosmetic reasons.

Note the use of the word “client”. Once upon a time, players assumed that the TOS prevented modifications to game files, but in-memory data was free game. Turns out, Blizzard considers the memory-resident parts of the game also protected, so a dynamic model injector will also violate TOS.

2 Likes

Thank you for the polite, detailed response. I like the “It’s been a while”, makes you sound a bit grizzled.

Okay, sounds like they’d find out you’re doing it, no matter how small or benign it is. Probably not worth trying.
(If any devs see this, I’ll slip you 10$ to fix the gloves /hahabutseriouslyplease)

That’s all I needed to hear, I guess. Thanks again.

1 Like

Yeah, as annoying as it is, the reason client-side model/animation modifications are not allowed is that they’ve been used for cheating/exploiting in the past.

For example, you could alter a mining node’s model to be extremely tall and easy to see. Changing a static object’s model also altered its collision, so you could, say, change a locked door’s model to be something very small and be able to bypass it without the key. There was a pretty infamous case back in AQ40 of a guild doing this to remove walls, letting them skip a big chunk of the raid.

1 Like

Thank you for your input! Yeah, that’s a shame. I wish they had a way to differentiate between personal transmog modifications vs. cheating exploits.

1 Like