Opinions on Holy Power?

Hey all, I mained a pally from Late TBC to the DeathWing Tier of Cata, and recently tried jumping back into the class again but i can’t stand Holy power, it killed the class for me back in the day and its still there with a vengeance.

I wanted to see what others think of holy power? Good? Bad? i personally hate it cause it just feels stupid, but the world doesnt revolve around me :frowning:

1 Like

I think it’s perfect for Ret, fine for Prot, and kind of strange for Holy, but overall I like it.

I just hope Inquisition never comes back.

8 Likes

For holy, it is so bad in its current form that the paladin that I have been maining since TBC has been demoted to alt status.

8 Likes

I swapped from Disc Priest to Holy Paladin because of Holy Shock and Word of Glory/Light of Dawn. I originally thought Holy Power was incredibly clunky until I spent some time understanding it. Now I really dig it. It enables the Holy Paladin to be incredibly mana efficient, and feels natural with the melee playstyle. I can see why people who prefer the FoL/HL playstyle of previous expansions would dislike Holy Power. But I’m a big fan of it.

2 Likes

Prot:
I don’t mind it for Prot, but felt it was rather unnecessary. Giving a resource to WoG and SotR did not feel needed.

Prot worked, rotation wise, fine enough before. Needed tweaks, sure, but it was fine.

Ret:
For Ret it just feels lackluster to build and spend as your options are so narrow:

• CS hit for less than an auto attack
  • BoJ is not as cool as Exorcism and the animation is pretty jarring
  • TV vs DS vs WoG also do not feel as dynamic as Rupture, Kidney, Slice and Dice, etc.

Holy:
For Holy, I really don’t enjoy it. While extremely overpowered, I really love the end of BFA and the corruption benefit of Ineffable Truth. It felt extremely fun to play the glimmer build with doing CS dps.

• LoD is a wet noddle of a heal
  • CS is a nuisance to press
  • Beacon Healing to generate holy power feels counter productive
  • Holy Avenger, Seraphim, SotR, and Avenging Crusader all feel bad to press/use

(Light’s Hammer, Holy Prism, Rule of Law and our Mastery all feel like hot garbage too)

6 Likes

I feel that it works with holy, but at the same time its also limited in how we generate and spend HP. I would suggest a rework just to smooth out certain issues, but blizz has said they won’t be doing that during the expansion.

I personally enjoy it on ret, feels fine to me.

It works for Ret, its not the worst system for prot, and its why the Holy Spec is a malformed abomination.

I do agree that the uses for Holy Power aren’t varied enough, and I feel this is in part of Holy Power being spend 3 only (outside of a single trap talent;) and that Ret / Prot being gated only by CD’s do have negative effects on the rest of the kit.

CS is criminally underpowered, BoJ and Judgment are more or less fine, with the later not being able to receive any damage boosts because of Retribution’s Divine Toll.
Holy has the issue of needing to be in melee to generate holy power to get off its effective heal (WoG) while the caster playstyle which is still more than half its kit wastes away from being underpowered.

I feel like moving paladins off of holy power (outside of holy) isn’t going to fix any real issues, as modern wow only has Healers and Arcane mages actually using mana; But we could certainly use some changes in damage, and variety of spenders, and give bonus’s based on holy power used (even if we have it be only 3 or 5 holy power)

and thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

1 Like

Ret is the main reason i made this post, i don’t really enjoy the builder spender as it is, I’ve played DK and they feel so much smoother, I kind of wish blizz would return to the old Mana version of Ret.

2 Likes

not sure if you wanted to edit a post or make a separate thought, so I figured I could throw in a bump reply to enable either. (saw the making a reply icon after you posted.)

Ya I played tbc and wrath ret, I didn’t mind it but I dunno after so many years of holy power and MoP/WoD ret being so fun, it’s just grown on me lol. I get you though.

And when the hell did they get rid of Blessing Buffs like Might, Wisdom and Kings???

Last one was removed with Shadowlands, but its been a slow roll getting rid of them since WoD iirc.
With last version of Kings being an Absorb shield while Wisdom was still a mana regen.

Blizzards stance on these kinds of things is so… Dumb.
i reminds me of why they removed Gems & Enchants from the MOP days to the garbage we have now… “We don’t want people to have to enchant / gem there gear before using it, we want them to put it on straight away!”

Well… blizz… ya kinda screwed up now stop removing all the fun little buffs :frowning:

3 Likes

Yea, Blizzard isn’t the best at remember Professions are supposed to be meaningful… at least outside of the stand engineering stuff each expansion.

At least Jewelcrafting lasted longer than Inscription before getting gutted.

1 Like

Holy Power works great for Ret because it is a better version of the base combo point system for Rogues.

Combo points, without the Deeper Strategem talent (a 6th combo point), have the flaw of overcapping and wasting the extra point because spenders are generally spent at the 5 cap. And builders can give 1 or 2 points. Rogues have to basically waste a talent row for a simple quality of life change.

Ret spends at 3 but caps at 5, which is great. There is Justicar’s Vengeance which spends at 5 but nobody uses that. Why would anyone spend a talent to deliberately run into the overcapping problem. Seriously, Blizzard needs to look at Justicar’s Vengeance. It’s terrible.

But other than than, Holy Power is great for Ret.

1 Like

i’d like holy power for holy if

• judgment generated hp

• we could spend from 1-3 hp instead of a static 3

• harsh word was brought back to use wog offensively

• beacon of light was taken off the gcd again

also divine favor needs to be baseline

2 Likes

I’ve been loving it on Holy in this expansion, especially combined with how it causes you to naturally lean towards being melee to optimize the generation of it. I know that there’s reason enough to hate it across the board but I feel like i’ve been thriving in this system.

1 Like

it enables holy paladins to utterly ignore thier mana, thats not effiecieny like at all. Holy power needs to go away from holy pallies or implement something that makes us think on how we use our mana differently.

2 Likes

It’s fine, we’re forced to deal with melee mechanics, chase the boss around, and worry about our proximity to allies to maximize the efficacy of Mastery. Reminds me of what I wanted to see out of an energy-based healer back in the day before MoP. There are plenty of other healers to play if you want to be worried about mana instead of combo points.

2 Likes