Opinion: Firelands Timewalking Overtuned!

I hosted a Timewalking - Firelands raid with my guild today and it felt extremely punishing for a Timewalking raid. I raided Firelands with a middle-of-the-pack group and it felt like the equivalent of a Mythic+ Level of content.

Seeing as the other threads have not been commented on or active since the release of TW - Firelands I thought I’d share my opinions and see if others feel the same way.

Most of my raiders were even using their “Timewalking sets” with Azerite, old legendaries, etc… It just does not seem like the quality content we were hoping for. I think what I am hoping to get out of it is a nostalgic experience that offers baseline gear for my characters…not a punishing conglomeration of past expansion geared characters trying to meet overtuned DPS checks…

Do you share in this opinion?! Let’s let blizzard know!

7 Likes

It’s busted. Beth and Rhyolith were bugged, Alysrazor seemed very overtuned. At that point everyone gave up.

1 Like

Oh wow, is this six months ago?

Needs a hot fix very disappointing

1 Like

I haven’t gotten far in the raid because groups disband after failed trash pulls. But Beth’tilac is 100% bugged. She doesn’t have enough mana so phase 1 lasts about…10 seconds per smoldering devastation compared to 81 seconds. So you’re just trying to DPS her from 100 to 0 and ignoring all mechanics.

4 Likes

My guild iLvl 203 MT was getting one-shotted by trash. I’d call that overtuned.

4 Likes

A ilvl 203 tank would in fact be worse than most tanks at a lower ilvl as means he has no timewalking gear on. While you mentioning ilvl like it matters a ton makes me question the understanding the group had about timewalking and as such the run. While yes getting one shot by trash would be a issue and I think the raid is overtuned using ilvl as your metric of overtuned not if your doing stuff correctly (as alot of trash can one shot you correctly when done wrong) as your metric really calls into question the value of the post, esp when ilvl has next to no meaning in timewalking.

Which is completely irrelevant as everything is scaled. Granted these gems are incorrect since i haven’t played on this toon since probably MoP, but this is an ideal starting point for what your gear should look like for timewalking:

https ://gyazo.com/408ed47d9ab4d08638640b7c321965fb

As many sockets as possible since that scales separately, MoP legendary cloak, ideally a Heart of Azeroth, etc.

An ilvl 203 tank is going to have absolutely no difference than a ilvl 100 tank will have in there.

You know that link doesn’t work for people without that app, right?

But here’s the thing, TW ain’t supposed to be that hard: it is literally casual content meant to evoke nostalgia (no jokes about how bad Cata was, please) with a difficulty on par with LFR…at worst. Sure, the rewards given are like normal raid level, but that’s part of the ‘one week only’ vibe: log in, kick back, get your loot, have fun, and the raid’s gone next week.

None of this “did you get the legendary cloak, artifact ring, artifact weapon, heart of azeroth, and max level armor with the best gems and enchants” malarky: any max-level character (or any eligible character) should be able to queue up for the dungeon or raid, kick back and have a fun time with Timewalking. The minute the encounters require Heroic raid-level planning for normal raid-level gear, it stops being fun and starts to get frustrating.

16 Likes

Honestly this instance is way overtuned. I think the better question that is not being asked yet is why is Blizzard forcing us to do the entire raid for one piece of ilvl200 gear? I understand the concept of completing the raid for the nostalgia factor but not being able to complete this because of lacking raid specific content to make this less punishing for casual players does not fit the scope.

After 10 tries this week with different groups (2 of them being half guild runs) my best try was 3 bosses down in a pug and that was after 3 hours.

I’m a returning wow player and I’m confused if this new mode is geared to casual or hardcore? lol

At this

2 Likes

they dont know who its for. The scaling has been wack in legion raids as well still cant solo. Doing a quick search it seems There has been posts in the past dating april 2020 about how its overtuned. Glad blizz looked into it :eyeroll:

1 Like

Only issue I’ve seen so far (besides idiot raid leaders trying to zerg literally everything) is Beth’tilac auto-nuking up top no matter what you do. We had to stay down and wait for her to drop.

Beth cast smoldering devastation as soon as we went up top. We took the first two webs that came down in the first 20s of the fight and we were oneshot as soon as we got on top of the web. I don’t remember her phasing that quickly when I ran this back when.

1 Like

Yeah Beth’s mechanic is that when she runs out of Energy, she does Smoldering Devastation. It sounds like someone screwed up the squish so that she either has very little energy, or it drains so fast that it happens almost instantly. It used to be something like every 60 or 90 seconds - you could take the webs up, and there’d be 3-4 pools to dodge, then Smoldering Devastation.

1 Like

And of course, Ryolith is bugged to hell. Adds spawn too fast, volcanos don’t break his armor, and he’s beelining it to lava pools with little hope of changing direction.

Alysrazor had five million HP. The adds had well over 1M when our hardest hitting spells were around 4-5K a pop.

Blizz couldn’t fix the bosses to anything that makes sense, but suuuuuuuuuuure, three pieces of loot from some of the most maddeningly frustrating raid encounters that were QA’d and balanced ten years ago for a group of thirty because balance.

2 Likes

It was the same with Ulduar. Some of the abilities were still tuned for pre-squish levels.

Yeah…
Beth’tilac is overpowered / bugged, but doable, at least for us.

Ryolith didn’t respond at all except for 2 secs on one pull, despite different strategies. Completely blocked doing Domo / Rag.

Other bosses were doable, with some minor inconsistencies.

Alysrazor is doable, but that was easily a 15 minute fight, if not more.

1 Like

Same here. We just finished the run. We were able to kill Beth and Shannox. Couldn’t move Rydh with ALL the dps at the leg. Aly just destroyed us. Really a shame because Firelands is one of the best raids Blizz created and we cannot even feel nostalgic about it because it is impossible to pass 2 bosses :pensive:

3 Likes

Great comment!! They’d worried so much about not giving us loot that forgot to actually TUNE THE RAID so is doable!

2 Likes