Onyxia Scale Cloaks and the Three Drakes

How much FR should you use?

I noticed when I resisted the flame buffet debuff I was like “WOW that was nice” lol

From memory … for ranged DPS 100 is OK and the minimum I would use for first attempts. About 150 is ideal.

A Magic Resistance pot can go a long way. It’s one of the rare times that potion becomes super useful. They’re also dirt cheap.

You can straight up resist the debuff Firemaw casts on you. The more FR you have the more likely you will resist, Ony cloak is a good FR item.

I suggest you all stack as much FR as you can, sacrifice damage for FR in ALL cases.

This. If you have an item with FR on it, wear it. Dont think about how much DPS you will lose, because being able to resist buffet will usually increase your damage by not having to stop DPS often.

1 Like

You will need the cloak. While the small dragons have avoidable breaths the last boss is a aoe one. It’s not a gimp to be safe.

Or cloak and a fire protection pot. Probably a safer bet seeing as there’s always a chance to take 100% damage from a spell.

I think FPPs are a little overrated. People always pop them pre-fight, so you’re knocking down damage at the very start of the fight when it matters the least.

Not when the fire damage one shots you otherwise.

If fire damage is one shotting you you have issues no one pot is going to fix…

In the case of the three drakes in BWL, it’s a one time oopsie wipe prevention. It can definitely save a raid from a wipe.

But yes, you’re right. The drakes should never be facing the raid during a shadow flame.

Resistance > potions on firemaw. The potions will actually lull you into a false sense of security, as buffet continues to stack, the absorption runs out, & suddenly out of nowhere you’re taking 2k per tick.

1 Like

For tanks, yes. For everyone else they shouldn’t even be taking fire damage and the pot is just in case.

Huh? Have you done firemaw? Literally everyone except healers take fire damage. It’s impossible to avoid.

And it’s not about resisting the damage, its about resisting the stacking debuff

1 Like

Yea I was highly confused by that as well

Been a while (2006). Guild has not got there yet in Classic. Perhaps I’m confusing another one of the drakes. They all look the same.

Can’t you just LoS if you get too many stacks?

Ebonroc and Flamegor are pushovers. Firemaw is the first one after Broodlord.

AOE flame buffet:

https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=23341/flame-buffet

360 degree AOE 100 yd range

Ok so yeah you have to LoS that.

You’re right as well as Lucasa. Fire protection pot on that fight isn’t super useful and could actually make things worse. Was thinking of the other two drakes.

The Cloak is mainly for the tanks. The rest of the raid only wears it for Nefarian, as he breathes on the entire raid when he lands in phase 2.

Firemaw is possible with 2 tanks, but I recommend having a third tank. A and B reset the stacks, and C is just there to eat Wing Buffets.

You can also have my obscenely bad luck and get smashed with Shadow Breath -> Thrash+Auto -> Wing Buffet.

1 Like

Periodic ticks of damage. Stacks increase fire damage taken. So you’re taking fire damage either way, but with stacks it goes from 300/tick to 2k+/tick. You can stand in the corner for 20 seconds, stacks fall off, you’re back to 300/tick.