One second long freezes randomly

Hey there.

My relevant computer specs are
GTX 980
i7 6700k,

since prepatch I have noticed stranged fps drops, where the game kind of just freezes for half a second and then goes back to the regular frame rate. I have tried 0 addons, lowest graphic settings, almost every setting in game. The only thing I notice in task manager is that my GPU usage drops down from ~60% utilization to 30%. So this tells me it is a wow related issue, not really sure where to go from here though.

attached photo of task manager gpu 3d panel

https://gyazo.com/3ec4f882500991f6faf28e1e2ce0029e

2 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/frametime-spikes-causing-stutter/717899/4?u=brag-area-52

FIX

Been getting these and it appears to happen in extreme low memory situations.

Have 16gigs but the game appears to be gobbling up standby memory and not releasing it.

Getting freezes as well but not only in low memory situations.

Doing the scan and repair and it’s doing weird things with memory as well as the game. Used up 12 gigs of memory as stand by. No free space

Something went sideways with todays updates.

This happens to me also on an 8600k / 3080 FE. I spent hours troubleshooting with support even on the phone and they could not solve it. I even reformatted, no addons, no overclocks etc. Temps and utilization all way below max. Other games even new ones with issues like watchdogs legion run without this problem. So it’s not just you.

I was also seeing this yesterday (haven’t logged in today yet). It’s very intermittent… only happened once on three out of six toons I played, but kind of “hung” for about 2-3 sec… I didn’t have a resource monitor up so don’t know if it was a CPU or memory spike (definitely didn’t seem to be Internet as nothing else connected glitched and my in-game ping was steady at 50 msec through the spike-hang).

Could it be add-ons that are not updated for 9.0.2 getting stuck in a verification loop? Guess I should disable out-of-date add-ons and see if it goes away.

Mine definitely isn’t addon related. The windows update fix seems to have done a lot but its still around. Hopefully blizzard sorts it soon enough. Kind of hard to fix because the issue isnt reliably replicated

Fix

Fix as in it fixed it?

It’s not fixed… I did a fresh install of windows with only wow installed and it still happens. I mean def try it but I wouldn’t call it fixed.

I think this might be related to having firefox and youtube videos running.

Seems like the longer I have a youtube podcast running while playing the worse this gets and killing the firefox instance restores stability to the game.

Bricked my install doing a scan and repair for this issue. Probably unrelated but annoying having to reinstall from scratch.

EDIT: For me there is definitely a STRONG correlation between youtube/firefox running and these freezes.

I concur, lately it seems that Firefox is using A LOT of system memory. I am suspecting it has a major memory leak. I have 16gigs of RAM and with Firefox open, even just one or two tabs, it eats up at least 6-8gigs by itself.

I can tell it’s happening because the game will stutter and freeze, so if I close Firefox and restart it, it’ll free up a few gigs of RAM and everything is fine until it does it all over again.

This was not an issue a few months ago.

Firefox and this page doesn’t seem to be the issue.

For me it’s having the youtube video player running that really screws things up.

There’s also a strange issue of this game reserving massive amount of standby memory and not letting go of it, but don’t think that’s related to this issue.

Poster above me mentioned something about Firefox, thought I’d just weigh in is all.

I still experience it with nothing but wow open. In fact without FF even installed. Could it make it worse? Sure, but not buying it is the root cause. I did a full reformat, installed wow, and it happens. With new high end hardware, low temps/utilization, and doesn’t happen in any other game.

Windows corruption fix seemed to… have worked for about an hour and now we are back to stuttering. Hell yeah. @blizzard

heyt blizzard

COOL, I fixed it! I completely deleted my entire WoW directory. Retail/beta/ptr/classic, everything. I’m assuming there is a corrupt file somewhere that my retail used from beta to install and that was causing the issue. Hope it helps someone.

haha, never mind after an ENTIRE day of it not sputtering, it has returned! thank you blizzard!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/frametime-spikes-causing-stutter/717899/19?u=brag-area-52

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this! I thought my GPU was dying.