One fundamental issue with WOW

Your simply wrong. That’s one of the main reasons people complain about flight not being available sooner they don’t want to waste time needlessly just getting from point a to point b.

4 Likes

They designed the WQ to increase the time spent in combat, and this is one of the reasons why they suck.

They want to get the whole thing done faster. But Ion was making the point that people spent more time traveling to the quest than doing the quest (which usually entailed killing a few mobs). He considered that a problem. It isn’t. It is entirely how an RPG should work, and how most RPGs do work that are not action RPGs.

I dunno, seems like behavior in game certainly leans towards everyone agreeing with you… Everyone is always trying to skip as much as they can and kill as little as possible to get what they’re doing done. I’m sure everyone arguing with you regularly do ridiculous things to get out of combat instead of just killing what chases them. Have probably done the plaguefall skip as well. Behavior will always speak louder than words to me.

2 Likes

It WAS a problem. Most people don’t want to spend the majority of their time traveling to WQ instead of doing them. Current WQ do take to long to complete but combat isn’t the reason.

1 Like

Ion literally explained they designed the new wqs precisely because they wanted people to spend more time doing the quest than traveling to it. (And in WoW, doing the quest almost always means killing some mobs.) The issue is that this assumption that you should spend more time killing mobs than flying somewhere is actually wrong and contrary to the entire design of most RPGs.

They suck because they removed easy and transparent objectives and essentially baked multiple quests into one.

Devs have always had a target for how long it should take you to till a mob at max level. That’s absolutely nothing new with Shadowlands

2 Likes

Yes it is the reason. They made them take a long time and require a lot of mob kills. It is entirely the reason they feel so bad.

You guys seem to not get the point.

Modern wqs:
Longer travel time
More mobs to kill
Higher percentage of time fighting mobs than traveling

Legion Wqs:
Shorter travel time
Fewer mobs to kill
Higher percentage of time traveling to quest than fighting

I’m arguing that spending more time traveling than fighting is actually better. I’d also like to see the travel time shortened as well. These are not mutually exclusive.

That has nothing do with combat being engaging or not. You could have the best combat in the world, whatever that would be, and people still don’t want to waste time doing things they don’t need to do. People are reward motivated.

3 Likes

I spent 8 hours on the PTR testing Torghast because I enjoy the combat. Not sure what to tell you. Maybe you just don’t enjoy your class?

2 Likes

I’ve always kind of found the 2 forum themes funny… 1) there’s nothing to do, 2) we need flight now.

Flight… so you can nothing… but faster.

Wows biggest problem is that it’s not a leveling game, and people don’t want to spend time on anything. Classic suffers from it too.

And here I am…liking WoW’s combat

4 Likes

Not really. If the combat were extremely fun and engaging, people would want to fight more. This is clearly not the case here. Consider the most engaging combat games known to man: fighting games and FPS. In those games, there is seldom any reward for the combat. People just do it and prefer to do it because it is fun. For those games, the combat is its own reward. WoW is not like that at all. Its combat sucks and is slow. All MMOs are slow and have boring combat. Because they suck at this, it should not be the focus of the time spent. MMOs are better at having large immersive worlds, and so letting travel be the focus of this is better from a game design perspective.

No, they wouldn’t. People want to get in, and get out, with their shinies. Combat is a means to an end, regardless.

3 Likes

NO you aren’t getting it. The only thing I agree on is more mobs to kill is a bit over done in Shadowlands. I want “Higher percentage of time fighting mobs than traveling” traveling is boring.

Sounds like you are agreeing with what I said.

“People play and do the game in spite of and not because of the combat.”

There are varying degrees. You understand if X is fun, and Y is more fun… you’d rather do X quickly and get to Y, right?

I really enjoy M+ for the most part. I barely get any upgrades and have accomplished the main goal I wanted to accomplish many many months ago, but I still play keys especially if guildies need some help because I like to get into the action. So when it comes down to it, if I have WQ to do and M+ to do, I want to do the WQ very quickly and then go back to M+.

1 Like

No, I don’t agree with you because you seem to think people want to spend more time traveling. They absolutely do not. The problem people have with current WQ is not combat related. It’s to do with do this, update do that, update do this other thing.

5 Likes

On 1 I completely agree with you… saying “There’s nothing to do.” when they actually mean “There’s nothing I want to do.”

1 Like

WoW combat is the reason I even play this game lmao

3 Likes

Now I know the inspiration that has driven me to my Druid, so I can stealth past the mobs of aggravation just to get to my target.

It’s the same reason flying can’t get here soon enough. In the beginning, while leveling, I don’t mind so much, it’s XP. But after so much time has passed…

1 Like