On the Reception of Earthen

Firmly in the disappointment category here. It’s not that the race itself is bad, honestly, I like dwarves, I like their silhouette, most of their animations, ect… but after Shadowlands lack of new races, and Dragonflight’s kind of weird choices with the Drakthyr, I kind of wanted and expected a return to form: Two factions = two races.

The Earthen are simply a reinforcement of what I am dreading is the future of WoW: the further abolishment of factions and just… this unearned sense of unity they keep pushing after the writers narratively destroyed the Horde.

Right now, the only thing that I am kind of interested in about the Earthen is whether the stark divide in their society will actually effect how they choose factions?

Maybe we’ll finally get a neutral race that actually makes more sense. Have them be part of divided factions within their race that are genuinely hostile to each other or whose philosophies are mutually incompatible. Maybe them joining the factions is a way to avoid open fighting and stay away from each other.

But I feel we won’t get that, and instead we will just get the same lukewarm motivation as the Drakthyr joining the factions, who actively scoff at the idea that the Horde and Alliance fight each other.

3 Likes

Anything to help stroke your ego. To be fair I see your name and usually don’t read past that. I almost forgot to put you on ignore. So in return thanks.

Could have been something new and unique. Instead, we got another allied reskin.

1 Like

Laughing at a funny post has nothing to do with ego. LOL

Glad I could remind you! Sorry you’re so upset that you got called on not reading, though. :dracthyr_heart:

1 Like

Here’s the thing with Allied Races: we don’t get them instead of entirely new races - we get them instead of nothing.

That’s why I’d love to get a pairing like Dragonmaw and Wildhammer or Hozen and Jinyu if we want to get ambitious. Just to get that friction going. Not hostility, but a truce doesn’t mean that there’s bad blood.

Here’s hoping that they sneak in Drakonid in the purportedly “significant” 10.2.x patches. :wink:

2 Likes

If people hated the armor limitation of the Dracthyr, then it’s going to be more of the same with Sethrak.

The Earthen are a ‘solid’ race. They’ll make a fine foundation for this expansion’s rock-hard narrative.

3 Likes

Nor do I. A snake man is so ridiculous to me, because what is the defining characteristic of a snake? Lack of limbs. A snake “neck” on what is essentially a human body is mad lame in my opinion. I don’t ever want to see those things running around the capitals.

Same for ogres, they are not horde, they are slavers that pretty much hate all other races and see them as potential cattle.

Naga don’t even have legs. And are exclusively found near water. I’d rather see murlocs than naga and we’re not getting murlocs.

Saberon and Saurok are alright to me in theory, but we’ve seen zero reason over the very long time they’ve been around to suggest they have any interest in the two factions, like, at all.

I personally think high elves are coming in Midnight tho. Quel’dalas, hmm, how could they not when they already give blood elves the most attention, they probably know or at least think that a certain amount of former players would even resub just to be a high elf. It would instantly be the most popular race, and it doesn’t really matter what I think of them, though to be fair I’d probably at least try to play one.

They’re founding members of the Horde, both old and new.

3 Likes

Maybe in the RTS games. Never in this game have I ever seen a reference to that though. Bloodmaul Slag Mines tells me everything I need to know about ogres in this game. “First I break your spirit. Then I sell your future.” Doesn’t sound like they want to be friends with either of us. Wasn’t the two headed warlock ogre one of Gul’dan’s friends or something? Gul’dan wasn’t exactly horde material either, I mean maybe at one point he was but he seemed thoroughly villainous by the time we encountered him, again, in this game.

And that’s how I see Ogres. Thoroughly villainous and almost criminally stupid. I dare anyone to find an issue with either of those two, and yes I am aware the two headed ones are twice as smart as the others.

7 Likes

I think it is cool we got earthen.

My only concern is on the how they can be DK’s when they have no organic matter to raise and the fact they are arcanic in nature (meaning their souls woyld go to the realm of arcane, not death).

2 Likes

I’m fine with Earthen Death Knights, conceptually. I just don’t understand the timeline for them.

That being said, we’re entering an era where the Blizzard literally doesn’t care about this. DK requires no race-specific assets, so Earthen gets access, logic be damned.

I just want Saberon at this point, although there are a few out there I would be interested in playing if they became available, maybe. Earthen wasn’t one of those, but I’ll see what I think when it comes out and I take a closer look.

I would like to get Broken + Mogu + Jinyu + Furbolg + Arakkoa for the Alliance, Mok’Nathal + Forest Troll + Ogre + Taunka + Gilgoblin + Sethrak + San’layn + Saberon + Saurok for the Horde and Ethereal + Tuskarr + Mogu + Vrykul as neutral race. :dracthyr_love_animated: :dracthyr_love_animated: :dracthyr_love_animated:

1 Like

Earthen were only poorly perceived because they threw a wet blanket on people’s hopes for existing races. In isolation, they’re awesome. In a game with limited resources for this type of content? They’re taking up space.

1 Like

I already have a Dark Iron Dwarf.

I’m not sure I’ll make one, unless they’ve got a really cool heritage armor or something.

The main issue I have with Earthen, is that you already know they’re gonna re-use the Dwarf rigging/animations.

Same issue with the Void Elves, basically being a carbon-copy of Belves.

They even have regular hair instead of moss/leaves or crystals, something else that’d be cooler.

It’s woefully boring, compared to what could have been.

2 Likes

That has been a small concern with the promos resembling the dark iron themes. :robot::sweat_drops:

4 Likes