Old Graphics More Realistic Than New Graphics

Yes but when you use rose tinted glasses…

1 Like

Alright, two contradicting opinions here. Which version of the game has the more muted/washed out colors?

there is a reason in the navy we said “haze grey and underway”.

2 Likes

People have different preferences. I greatly prefer the Vanilla models, textures, animations…pretty much everything. And luckily Classic will provide those things. The only real noticeable problem in the demo was the water effects, and hopefully they get rid of the newer style…which clashes horribly with the world.

3 Likes

The ability to have pretty nice graphics in Vanilla is there, but it is scaled back on purpose. WoW in that era was a game you could run on just about any computer, even your $400 Walmart Compaq special was good enough to raid with. Which I think was pretty cool really.

There are several guides on how to tweak all that stuff to make it look gorgeous. Whether or not it is a good idea, I can’t say.

1 Like

Dude wandering through Tirisfal Glades back on Nost when there’s heavy rain and dark storm clouds moving overhead under the old weather system is crazy. Way more Gothic feeling than the new clean and over-saturated greens and purples that you see with the newer Undead architecture as well.

Turn your effects volume to like half of whatever your music and ambiance volume is and crank those, fighting during the storms is sick. The old score is really good in tandem with the old world.

4 Likes

I demand that in the game where cows can turn into porpoises and undead can shoot fireballs, and people can be resurrected, that the trees be realistic, dammit! :thinking:

4 Likes

Agreed, or at the very least make both water effects viable for world pvp

I was responding to this:

You can post snarky comments at the OP for claiming to prefer more realistic graphics.

Most of the water in Vanilla WoW was transparent or translucent. It’s one of those common misconceptions that Blizzard is going to need to dispel, as they did with the Warlock summoning.

The left side looks so much better, more detail in the textures. There are individual needles on the end of the textures. On the right there is far less detail and the trees do not look as full.
Fog is a trick to not have to render the distance (less lag), I can see how it creates “atmosphere” to a setting.

3 Likes

I’d agree that Suramar City is less bright, color-wise, than say Jade Forest.
It’s impossible to say that all zones, game-wide, are equal in this respect because in all eras of environment design (from vanilla to BFA), the designers use the elements of color and tone etc. to send various messages: storytelling messages and emotional messages among others. So Elwynn Forest is going to look very different from Tirisfal Glades, and that was never by accident.

I have really, really bad eyesight IRL. :wink:

1 Like

If thats the case then im fine with ppl having the option of old and new :smiley:

2 Likes

I went outside once, can confirm, new graphics ever so slightly more realistic.

3 Likes
https://imgur.com/a/BY8Os

For those interested in a link that they don’t need to reconstruct due to some really dumb rules on the forum regarding links.

If you’re worried, Imagur is not a bad site to visit, it’s easily the most popular and most trusted image hosting site now.

Some cows turn into manatee’s

It was indeed different than some people remember it, but what they usually remember correctly is the shimmer on top the water that made it difficult to see what was below.

Something that I notice about the modern WoW water… It looks like a strange clear liquid gel, not water at all.

IMO Vanilla did water better than Modern WoW…

I would rather have the animated or artist rendition water like Vanilla, than the bad CGI thing people like to say is water in Modern WoW.

3 Likes

Old graphics are way better, it’s not even something to argue about.

7 Likes

I prefer the old fog, lighting and bloom effects. As for character models I prefer the new due to their higher fidelity. Both the old and new models manage to capture that iconic, Disney cartoon WarCraft 3 look with a slightly more realistic edge.

1 Like