Old god question

So we know that Y’Shaarj is definitely dead.

Do we know anything about C’thun and Yogg though? Like was it ever confirmed if they were killed or not?

I know we heard Yogg’s voice in a recent quest to Ulduar(I forget if it was legion or early BfA), but I took that as a random whisper that just used Yogg’s voice file, since the whisper wasn’t designated as Yogg even though it clearly was him.

So yeah, anything?

I beilive in a q&a they said they are dead for now but can bring them bsck of they feel like it.

1 Like

Even dead Y’Shaarj’s Heart expelled the Echo of Y’Shaarj who possessed a Goblin and acted just like him.

The Saronite Vapors and Faceless Echoes are something similar going on with Yogg-Saron.

To silence an Old God’s echoes you have to either drain the corpse or inject an enormous amount of Fel Energy into the corpse.

The Whispers around Silithus were silenced the moment Sargeras’s Sword stabbed the area.

At this point we don’t really even know what becomes of an Old God when it’s truly killed. Bits and pieces retain portions of its power, but the primary intellect of the entity might cease to exist altogether. Or perhaps Y’shaarj being “definitely killed” could be equivalent to a demon or elemental being killed in our reality, with the Old God’s main “awareness” being forced back into the Void in the absence of a physical form that can contain it.

And as powerful as he became while spreading across Azeroth, Y’shaarj might be in the same sort of boat as his creators once cast back out, having become too powerful of a void entity to cross over as he did when he was first hurled into our universe.

The whispers in Silithus falling silent could mean a number of things. It could mean C’thun’s presence was finally killed for good. It could mean that the events concluding Legion met some preconceived conditions and the whisperers chose to stop in anticipation of what was coming next. Or it could mean that with N’zoth’s awakening and impending escape the Old Gods were done with the Twilight’s Hammer and stopped bothering to communicate with them in anticipation of having unending swarms of fanatically devout n’raqi, aqir and other horrors at their disposal again.

After all, Ogmot’s Journal seemed rife with examples of him being frustrated that his sacrifices and rituals kept going unanswered, as if his masters had abandoned him. In light of his other allies throughout BfA and his eventual escape, N’zoth may have cast off the Twilight Cultists because he no longer had any use for them.

1 Like

C’Thun and Yogg-Saron are both dead, but Y’Shaarj is the only one I can confidently say is dead and gone.

Shhhhh! Say this too much and we’ll start getting “SARGERAS WAS RIGHT!” posts.

To add to this point, I’d also say that being of mortal (more torture-able) races probably makes the Twilight Cultists a liability now that everyone knows N’Zoth is out and an imminent threat. My first move would have been to grab some Cultists and extract everything they know… a tactic which N’Zoth has rendered completely useless by abandoning them right before his end-game.

There are still Twilight’s Hammer working for N’Zoth in Darkshore. It is just the Silithus Twilight’s Hammer that have been cut off from the Whispers.

Furthermore Ogmot gets the Whispers back after a while of being cut off from them indicating that N’Zoth decided to claim the Twilight’s Hammer that were cut off from C’Thun’s whispers.

Bah.

And here I was giving N’Zoth credit for being a smart villain.