Okay Blizz... How 'Bout an Update?

Havent been able to launch WoW since the servers went offline for the patch. Did immediately see a blue reply to my “game crashes on load” I posted 15min after servers came back online. It asked for Mac details; not quite an update but a sign Blizz was aware a problem existed. Saw another blue post saying a hotfix was in the works. Went to bed… woke up and you know… SSS+breakky. Still crashing. Trying a uninstall/reinstall ATM, which is taking an extraordinary amount of time no doubt to the patch continuing to be rolled out + the added fun of countless people also attempting the uninstall/reinstall process.

So… any updates? Did you guys at least figure out what the cause of the issue? Ive been seeing YouTubers post new content with post-patch gameplay…

On the upside, due to the extended WoW outage, Ive come to learn I am a father, been one for 2 months, and apparently I also had a job.

6 Likes

Haha congrats on being a dad!

But also… yeah, where’s our update?!

1 Like

So yeah… the whole uninstall/reinstall didnt work. At this point, us Mac users can only gaze into the clock like eternity spread through space.

On the speculative side, Im guessing the whole scope of work planning meeting went something like the higher-ups on the WoW team we’re all like, “we gotta push out updates and new content FAST since our core fans complained so much (and my perf bonus is on the line to satisfying that toxic group of endlessly demanding… ) … wait did I say that out loud?” While the Dev teams were like, “OMF! IDK how we’re supposed to get this done on time when this is still a problem and that is a still a problem… all ticking time-bombs that could go off at any moment for our Mac base” Then higher-ups were like, “Nah… it’ll be fine. None of our core players run on Macs. They think Mac users are snobs and wont care”.

4 Likes

I’m sure there’s one guy looking really deeply into the code to try and find the problem…we just need to be patient. We will have the fix before the next expansion, I’m sure of that.

1 Like

Posted this in the main thread, but will also share here.

Someone posted in the main thread they upgraded their MacOS, Ventura, and that worked. Took about an hour do the same, and the game loaded! In fact I think it runs smoother (maybe could be from doing a wipe and reinstall of WoW, which didnt work), and the graphics appear to look richer.

Anyways, just as I sit down to play, Blizz announced ingame they were shutting down the servers to do a 1hr maintenance which leads me to believe they figured out the Mac fix, along with a whole slew of other post-patch problems.

Yes, I saw your posts on the other thread. Happy for you! Sadly I’m in a position of not being able to upgrade to Ventura at the moment, like many of us. Let’s hope this update now has us in the plans.

1 Like

the update hasnt done anything !

1 Like

Assuming that there will be a Mac client for the next expansion.

1 Like

Yeah… not only does the game load, it seems to run smoother and the graphics have noticeably improved.

It seems obvious Blizz made a business decision re the troublesome patch and focused attention on new Macs rather than spread resources thin and do it proper for all min spec supported Macs. That’s a shame. I recently returned to WoW, and purchased DF without second thoughts cause as I REMEMBER IT, I always respected Blizz cause they poured just as much time/effort into releasing their games for Mac as they did PC.

Now 15yrs is a long time, and clearly much has changed. This is why when something goes wrong, I never blame the Devs, cause in my experience working in IT, the Devs always want to do the right thing for the user-base, and it’s management (and I was one of em) was charged with getting the Devs inline with “reality” as if they were ignorant children for wanting to do the right thing.

Blizz aint immune to the fundamental power shift in society where corporatism and profit-driven value determines “right”. That’s a shame for the citizenry, but also for beloved creative franchises such as WoW.

1 Like

Also awaiting an update… Really sick of waiting around, cuz even after the dang maintenance it still doesnt work.

2 Likes

Long time Mac user and tech. They always update to the latest version of the OS. They don’t care if the user can’t update the OS further. Why should it be THEIR problem. I’ve seen it plenty. I use Excel and Word and Microsoft says it cannot update my copy until I update my OS, so it’s industry wide.

Alas

Blizzard, what’s going on? You used to be so loyal to both platforms (PC or Mac). Did you not perform a basic functionality test (called a “Smoke Test” in the computer programming world) before releasing this patch?

3 Likes

Curious… not a peep from Blizz since their blue post asking for system info? While updating to Ventura (Jesse the Body) worked for me, it’s clear it didnt for everyone. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

Makes me kinda glad I’m letting my sub lapse. Honestly, half of the reason I’m still playing WoW is that it’s one of the few MMOs with what used to be good Mac support.

If that goes away, I might as well swap to something else and get a PC.

2 Likes

You got an update … Macs are now killed off. Welcome to the update.

1 Like

I have just fixed my busted iMac and updated to Ventura and NOPE I can log in and get to Oribos. Can click on portal for SW. Loads the bar all the way and…DISCONNECTS from server every. darn. time. I haven’t played since before October due to…reasons called adulting and “stuff”. Now, I’m just frustrated.
Any new news?

OMG how weird. This isn’t even posting under my main character. I am so ashamed…and tired. And hungry. I need to take my adderall…or something. sheesh