Ogres Playable race why not?

First question is why aren’t Ogres a playable race yet in WoW? Second, They have been on the Horde side since Warcraft 2. There is no good reason why they cant be playable. Is it because there is no FEMALE? They are not smart enough to fight on their own? I been playing warcraft since I can remember and Ogres have been a big part of the Warcraft saga/lore. Please Devs, we need an answer. Maybe we can get them for the Next Expansion?

12 Likes

it baffles my mind that they aren’t playable and yet we Horde ended with a new furry race call Vulpera…

note: i do not hate Vulpera, i love them… but it still confuses me that we haven’t gotten Ogres sense vanilla…

3 Likes

I was hoping for Ogres to be introduced during the launch of The Burning Crusade.

2 Likes

I would assume their height would be capped at Tauren height to prevent world incompatibilities (fitting into doorways etc), which would look a bit odd.

Also if I’m not mistaken, there’s things in the game that suggest that female ogres are indistinguishable from male ogres.

Ogres are not a playable race because the very idea of a she-Ogre in an armorkini is monstrous.

And if they tried to implement them, the server would implode in self-defense as soon as the art assets were uploaded.

Gah.

3 Likes

Ogres side with Ukraine. Make them playable.

1 Like

I mean its 2022, why can they unisex? And also have Blizzard give a REAL answer at all by any chance on why they cant be playable? I know you guys are trying to find the main reason why but I would love to hear it from them

1 Like

We have a very long list of stuff that should have been added years ago but blizz was busy partying like it was 1999.

1. Ogre race.
  2. Housing.
  3. Sliders on character creation.
  4. Removal of “daze” mechanic.
  5. Updated textures for old weapons and armor.
  6. Shamans finally getting fixed.
  7. Demon hunter for most races other than elves.
  8. Barrens restored.
  9. Booty bay needs a graphics update, look worse than Minecraft.
  10. Lordaeron being restored.
  11. Mechagnomes getting pants.
  12. Gnomeregan becoming an actual city.
  13. Heritage armor for the remaining races that didn’t get any.
  14. More character customization options for races that still didn’t get any last pass.
  15. Possible graphical updates across the board for stormwind and especially orgrimmar.

I could go on but it would almost be so huge to list here.

4 Likes

Good question.

Bagzak made a great thread about it.

3 Likes

Because they planned to make them playable in Cataclysm, but their penchant for giving most NPC races only male models bit them in the rear and they gave up on designing a female ogre model, so they settled on goblins since that race already had unique male and female models. Also, their themes of being primitive warmongers, shaman, arcanists, and warlocks are already covered by orcs and blood elves, so they’re probably now seen as redundant for the Horde to have.

Unlikely. Blizzard had several opportunities to implement the race in the past and they squandered all of them, so I don’t really see them ever getting in at this point unless the next expansion is them redoing allied races, but with a bunch of NPC races from vanilla to WotLK instead of just Dark Irons. Also, people are hoping that the next expansion introduces some kind of draconic race.

oh oh i want to add a few more

1. update Gnoll models
  2. update mounts like the Goblin trike (that mount sucks) or the Dragon Spirit Mount that doesn’t run in 4legs instead it running animation is still flying (that was dumb)
  3. give Goblin as a cosmetic design Mechanical body parts to represent lost limbs due to explosions.
  4. give Gnomes Mechanical body parts and Mecha Gnomes more Flesh body parts to represent lost of limbs or the start of mechanise desire. (after all Mecha Gnomes and Gnomes are pretty much the same race just that their racial abilities and stats are different)
1 Like

Definitely. I bet they could look really impressive. Plus Hogger deserves it. Meatball too.

2 Likes

Don’t forget update Silvermoon.

3 Likes

No to Ogres as a playable race. Too bulky for me! And they are ugly! We have orcs for that kind of look.

You players are very demanding! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have two simple demands - but they will make me very happy.

1. gnome druids!
  2. ultra thin (waif) kul tirans

Oh, one more … NO MORE FURRIES, please!

I for one would love to have playable ogres. Nothing would make me happier than being a huge fat ogre running around a pvp battleground screaming, “No voice in our ear but the maw…” … I mean, “Me smash you!”

2 Likes

This.

Ogres aren’t “Tauren-sized” they’re “blot out the noonday sun with their buttcheeks” sized. They’ve been embigged way beyond qualifying as a playable race. Bringing them now would require shrinking them down beyond all recognition - you can’t get ogres, you can only get midget ogres. Shrimpkin ogres. What gnomes are to humans, size-wise, that’s what playable ogres would be to the real thing.

Ogres on the roster would be a dinky parody of what they’ve since become. To even everything out, they’d have to go back and shink/retcon other ogres back down to reason save perhaps a few raid instances where it can be handwaved as pure game mechanics, and there’s no way they’d do that. NPCs are getting bigger, not smaller. Don’t want to play an ankle-biter race? Too bad! All the ‘races" in the Shadowlands are randomly 15’ tall minimum.

The size issue makes them a non-starter, and there’s no remedy for it.

Eh, anything is possible in a fantasy game. Goblin engineering has been known to be rather… untrustworthy, right? Mayhaps the goblins tried to increase the intelligence of some Ogres but while it worked (slightly, they still dumb) it harshly reduced their size. Conveniently to a taurens height.

I remembering watching a stream I think Preach, where Ion said in the Shadowlands expansion the allied races weren’t a number one priority. He said he would take a look at them towards the end of this expansion. But I know in my heart, they pushed that too the side and forgot about it