Odds Of Vanilla being free to play?

Current US unemployment rate is very, very low. Companies are practically begging to hire people. It’s hard to find people.

If you need to find some way to get an extra $15 a month, think about maybe working one day a week at your local pizza restaurant. Anywhere. Due to your low hours, you won’t be a full-time employee. They won’t give you benefits. They’ll love you lol.

If you don’t want to work. Look at your current budget. See if you can cut costs. I’m fairly frugal. I don’t like to needlessly spend money where I don’t have to. I had amazon prime recently, but figured I didn’t order enough packages to justify the $100 a year for it. Does that mean I can’t afford the prime? No. It means that $100 is better earning interest in a savings account or being spent elsewhere.

Take a look and see where you can shift your money. If you’re going to Starbucks every day, cut out a few days. Same with fast food. Also, look at your phone bill and your data usage. Many people don’t use all their data. See if you can cut back.

You’d be surprised what you can save. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If someone can not afford $15 month, then they seriously need to stop playing games, step back, and do an assessment of their lives. Maybe they should sell their computer and pay down some bills. Anyone stretched that thin has no business sitting around playing games. They should be figuring out ways to make more money.

I do not think Classic will ever or should ever be free. They had to hire people and pay high salaries, they have to pay for the server hosting, they have to pay support staff, they have a lot of underlying costs. Running a commercial game isn’t free. I’m sure some people think, “Oh Blizzard is worth billions, what’s a few million here and there?” If you invested in a company would you want the company just giving your money away?

Let’s be realistic here. This entire topic is pointless, because companies don’t work for free, nor do their employees. The world can’t function on just volunteers. People need to be compensated for their time, hard work, and that degree they paid 80K+ for in order to have a better life.

11 Likes

I agree completely and I really think it comes down to the whole “well pservers are free! Why should I pay for a game I can get free111!!!???”.

I hate what the pserver community has done.

2 Likes

well at least I think they kept Vanilla Alive to a point where Blizzard figured they had to make one

1 Like

Free to play and mega-corp companies like Activision don’t mix well.

Have a look at Starcraft II. They have added hundreds of dollars of nonsense to that game to rake in revenue above and beyond purchasing the expansions.

If WoW Classic was free to play it wouldn’t be long before there was a cash shop and garbage you can purchase.

It’s $15. That’s like 3 Starbucks coffees or two trips to McDonalds.

I’ll happily pay them $15 a month to keep the trashy microtransactions and cash shop stuff out of Classic. Besides, they are doing a lot of work to make this happen and should get paid.

2 Likes

You are right Micro transactions messed up games but only when they help you advance in your journey. Exp Black desert. Company that did good with micro transactions was Valve on dota 2 the only thing you can do with money is to buy ingame customs that doesn’t provide you with any stats

Considering that $15 will get you both Classic AND Retail (LOL,i know), its a very worth while investment in the entertainment budget.

4 Likes

In a sense it can be free if you farm gold on retail. If that helps, money is tough in some place’s in life we can all relate to that i hope. But i doubt it would ever go free unless retail went free. There is no box cost, only a sub. So farm that gold on retail it’s pretty easy to get about 140k in a week that’s 3 other weeks for your classic. Or do it now, before the game comes out.

Farm enough gold you’ll never have to pay for your sub again.

I would say zero. They have worked on it for a couple of years. So why should it be a free to play game? They deserve some sort of reimbursement for bringing the version of the game we all love back. If you want free to play you know where to find it. When it gets released you will definitely be able to tell who were the ones who only played on private servers due to it being free. I will happily give blizzard money again for a product i enjoy.

No “free to play” NO IN GAME CASH SHOPS!!!

1 Like

If you compare the value of various subs in the entertainment industry, you’re getting a lot more value from something like netflix than a WoW sub that gives you access to one game and soon two versions of the same game.

Or for a better comparison, compare it to EA’s premium Origin Access thing. Same monthly fee as a WoW sub, but it gives you access to EA’s entire library of games, including new releases (not that those are going well for them currently).

For $15 a month, there should just be a Blizzard premium sub that includes WoW access + a bunch of other stuff. Just WoW access is actually pretty horrendous value by current industry standards.

I think Blizzard only gets away with the lackluster value of their sub because the WoW token exists, so many of us just pay for it with in-game resources, which doesn’t feel the same as shelling out $15 out of pocket.

1 Like

The game is free to play after the first month.

Simply farm gold in classic. Trade it to someone for gold on a retail server, use that gold to buy a token, and redeem.

Unless of course they come down hard on cross server gold exchanges (we can hope) or don’t let token accounts access classic (we can dream).

F2P would be a nightmare. As someone who is extremely poor, I get it, $15/month is still a lot of money if you’re crazy poor, but if you can’t make room in your budget for a $15/month entertainment expense, you’ve got bigger problems than not being able to play WoW.

F2P would benefit 1000 people who intend to run around with private armies and 100,000 people who want to bot with no risk for every 1 person who owns a computer capable of running the 8.0 client but not $15/month for a subscription.

From my perspective, good help is hard to find. If i post a job ad, i’m practically guaranteed to have 100+ resumes show up in my inbox. 90% of them won’t come with the information I requested.
EG: If I say, send resume over to ‘that’ email. They send it to ‘this’ email. Its amazing how few actually pay attention to detail.

As a business owner, I’m scared to hire. A lot of people just don’t care about their ‘jobs’. They’re interested in putting their body in a place and taking home a pay cheque.

So, its not that its hard to find people. Its hard to find someone that isn’t useless in the work place.

1 Like

The odds of it being free are zero.

Why would a business do something for free?

1 Like

solution: they pay the 15 dollars one time, then farm the gold to buy a token from the auction house. then use that token to pay their sub. then repeat that for each month they want to pay their sub with token.

1 Like

I like those saying if one can’t find 15 dollar in the budget, they should be doing something else.

How about the scenario, of low wages, and no extra jobs to be had? I mean, I’m from europe, and some of the eastern european countries simply don’t have the economy. They might want to take an extra job, but there are no extra jobs, because most people are in the same situation. Then what? Median income for a land like Belarus is around 135 Euro’s, that’s ~$155 to cover all your expenses, including if you have kids. Ukraine far no better with a median income of ~140 euro, Albania ~200 euro’s, Bulgaria ~220 euro’s, and the list goes on.

Easy to say, do something else, when not in a situation where you are mired. You can’t afford to move, you can’t afford luxury, can’t find extra jobs, can’t afford education and you still need to survive.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea. If you really want to play with your friend but he can’t or won’t pay for the sub, then pay for it yourself instead of expecting Blizzard to change their pricing system just for you

3 Likes

Then they have more important priorities than investing hours upon hours in a video game.

4 Likes

So because someone can’t afford a game, we should just make the game free, right? LOL. I know that there are times when $15 a month is not something you can shell out. But that is grade A entitlement to say that because you can’t afford it, it should just be given to you.

And if you cannot afford $15 to have endless playtime on a game each month, then I think you have more important things to worry about in life than playing Classic WoW. If I know anything from experience, playing WoW will only make it harder to get your life going.

2 Likes

I can’t afford a car. Can I get one for free, please?

I need a car because my camel’s back is broken.