Odds Of Vanilla being free to play?

Lots of people can’t afford a new computer. They either piecemeal it together with various old parts, steal it, use internet cafe’s which is still a thing in a lot of countries or they save money little by little, to someday afford something that is little more than a glorified toaster.

Lots of countries lacks jobs. So even if you want to get an extra job, there ain’t any. Companies don’t wanna invest in those countries because their infra-structure is lacking, because those countries can’t afford to invest in infra-structure. What you get, is a vicious circle one is hard-pressed to escape.

Easy to say from the comfort of your sofa and pension secured, “just go out and earn some money”

Not like you in the US don’t have this problem as well, in some form.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/opinion/too-poor-to-afford-the-internet.html

You said new computer not me.

Where there is a will there is a way, millions do it every day all across the world despite your assertions, if they have the computer to play the game on no matter how they did it, then they have the ability to improve their means to afford the sub.

Where there is an excuse there is a lazy person or one that isn’t thinking about how to improve the situation and ESPECIALLY if they are concentrating on playing WoW and not on fixing their financial situation.

That’s not really an option in a lot of countries. You think people choose to be poor? Is that what I should take away from your message? If it was that easy, we wouldn’t have poor people in the first place.

You can literally ask for an extra two hours at work and get the amount of money to pay for a sub or you can pay for a sub for him. Coming from someone that’s almost at poverty level (the power bill is brutal during the winter in my poor, little house), I definitely want it to have a sub fee. That’ll keep out the multiboxxers, gold farmers and many other people that shouldn’t be on here.

dude… The people who play steam and buy games for 20-30$ just for the potentially crappy ones are just being cheap and stingy I’ve played steam before and I know for a fact people are more than willing to drop 30-40 bucks for the latest game title that pops up.
As for the idea that blizzard should make the game free just because people from all over the world made copycat games of vanilla and “kept the game alive” as you put it does not mean they need to make it free.
As for them stomping on and shutting down any and all pirated servers, it was well within their rights, as they own the characters, world, and story.

COMPLETELY untrue. People by and large do choose their long term circumstances, those that want better make better. Those that survive on the status quo usually stay there, most humans are like electricity they take the path of least resistance.

That is why there are still ppl living in squalor in sub saharan Africa where there is no water or in the Amazon and in many places around the world. Most people aren’t interested in the hard work of becoming more or creating and become a better person…just in what they know in how to survive.

Edit: in conclusion, yes lots of people choose to be poor by their actions…lots of people say they want to be rich and have money but they don’t save and their only “plan” is to win the lottery…think about it.

I don’t think we ever going to see eye to eye on this. That’s fine, we can have our differences. But saying that a farmer who works 12 hours a day for measly pennies in Ukraine, somehow is lazy, is beyond me. They can’t afford education to their children, so their children will end up farmers as well. They don’t have the means, nor the education to start something up, and they sure ain’t hoping to win the lottery as they can’t afford the luxury of buying lottery tickets. The poor countries I have visited, people there are just happy being alive, having their family and whatever little lot of land they have. They cherish what they have, and are reluctant to leave behind what little they do have, for a shot of a future in a foreign place, where they may end up as beggars on the streets because of lack of education.

Things ain’t black or white, it is one big muddy pool of grey.

No, just no. Sharing a subscription with Cosmetics Of Mountcraft is generous enough. If Classic is free, it gives them the excuse to add a cash shop.

1 Like

We won’t as long as you keep trying to put a class warfare spin on it, read way to much into what i wrote with a filter about what i am saying without actually reading what i am saying for the reality it is.

Sure.

First off, we are talking about a WoW subscription which is a luxory a farmer working 12 hour days for pennies in the Ukraine probably isn’t playing or interested in.

However in the big picture you have to take the WHOLE picture into account. This hypothetical farmer is making those pennies and living his life how he knows to survive (which if you read what i wrote is EXACTLY what i said). To some that is lazy, to some it is unwilling, to some it is where he/she is comfortable. But if he has no will to improve his station… then it is what he knows and is how he is comfortable living.

Pennies has nothing to do with it since his survival and the price of all things around him is relative, it is not as if he is making pennies and having to pay thousands of dollars for things or he wouldn’t be surviving in the first place

This is all your filter and completely irrelevant and a straw man argument. Certainly if this hypothetical person is running a farm he has some form of education and a minimum of intelligence equal to running and financing such an operation and almost certainly has some minimum education. Either way again it does not matter since he is EITHER happy with his situation OR he isn’t. So he is EITHER comfortable OR he is lazy, you pick. If he is comfortable, end of story. If he isn’t comfortable in his situation then it is incumbent upon him and his family to try to improve their situation, now here is the important part. HE/THEY ACTUALLY HAVE TO WANT TO IMPROVE, they can’t just complain and talk about how terrible things are and do nothing (lazy) and “hope” something happens. Life is defined by actions…not words.

EXACTLY, it is what they know and they seek no more. These people are not looking to improve, they are comfortable, hence they don’t care to play WoW and aren’t worried about a sub to the game.

The world is full of choices, you make your choices and you reap the consequences of those choices, these people by definition are comfortable… if they weren’t, they would seek to improve their lot in life. They will live the life they know rather than take a chance on what they don’t.

Subsequently there are no consequences for any mistakes or bad choices and only the comfort of the life they know, in addition though since they never take a chance or seek to improve their lot there are no rewards that are possible by such actions.

It’s not about black or white, it is about the choices you make in life and the personal accountability of those choices. Nothing ventured…nothing gained.

If you never try anything you never fail…if you keep trying and fail, eventually you figure out how to succeed and learn.

Ahh, whatever dude. Again, black and white, that’s all your post contains when broken down. I was just saying, that there is a reason why some might want a game to be free, and people spurting the same nonsense about bettering ones situation, when there is no such option.

TBPH, QQ’n Over global economic differences is not what this thread should be about. People survive by living within their means, calling foul over the desire to have the subscription gate is ignorantly foolish. Luxury is luxury, if you want to say other wise you are just boasting entitlement.

No single individual is equal to another, everyone is unique and different, people are not born equal, live equal or even die equally. Equality is a farce like Perfection, the more you chase it the further you get from progress and the closer you get to stagnation.

The only context the term Equality should ever be used in monetary transactions and applications of rules/law. The only context Perfection should be used is in relation to what is striven for yet never achieved.

2 Likes

Except you know… most of the big ones are shutting up shop when Classic is released…

Naah, they are closing down vanilla servers, and setting up shop with TBC and Wrath servers insetad.

And people who can’t spend $15 on a video game, probably have bigger concerns like ensuring they can pay for their families meals etc. Spurious arguments about how a poor kid in Africa can’t afford to pay for WoW are about as useful as people arguing socio economic theory in a troll thread.

This right here is why people get stuck in their situations. If you come from a position of it being nonsense then you have already made up your mind. Just remember, people do it all the time every day, they grow and learn and improve intellectually and financially. If you choose to see the world as black and white and folks are stuck… you are entitled to keep your victim mentality.

EVERYONE would want the game to be free of course, this is a statement that is just laughable. The problem is it cost money to make, produce and run the game.

1 Like

Free to play? Come on man.

1 Like

I’m a victim?? No, I just have first-hand experience from poor countries, as I live next door to them, more or less and I see them arrive in my country and end up on the streets playing the harmonica for handouts or turn to crime.

Gnome fight! Gnome fight!!!

Selling tickets! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heh, don’t over-price it, people still need to pay their subscription! :grinning:

I don’t know are you? I didn’t say you were a victim, i said you have a victim mentality. Like i said, read and understand the reality of what i said, not read it with your filter.

You are not alone in this. My family comes from dirt poor and having to beg the Catholic church for food for money that my grandfather and grandmother would then go spend on booze if he found out and he couldn’t hold a job and she had 8 children to take care of. All choices i might add that he made…no one forced him too.

I have traveled a great deal, been in dirt poor places, been in rich and live in what many would consider rich…and there are poor everywhere BUT, those poor can avail themselves of services or they can pan handle or both. Just because you move doesn’t mean you are willing to put in the time/effort to improve, it just means you moved yourself from one place to another, when you arrive THAT is when the real work starts and if you were smart you did ground work before you got to your destination and had a plan.