N'zoth and Azshara

I do think he cares for her though to what level is a myatery it is clear he at least values her more than any ither minion.

I am so happy I am not the only one who actually likes the idea of them being a duo. The way their ‘relationship’ has been portrayed across BFA is legitimately the only thing I find myself consistently interested in, and legit surprised at at times - like N’zoth NOT going the traditional supervillain route and just letting Azshara die after fulfilling her (current) purpose; or even Azshara herself actually fulfilling her end of the deal even as she’s being snarky and taking 10,000 years to do it.

It’s pretty interesting to see two characters who by all accounts, shouldn’t be trusted by any sane person and are quite clearly ‘evil’, be the two characters who have kept their word to the letter despite all the opportunities for one to betray the other. N’zoth is even shown to be surprisingly matter-of-fact if you deal with him fairly, if the way Xal was able to bargain for her freedom is any indication. And ofc, Azshara did drag her tentacles for 10,000 years, prolly taunted N’zoth constantly throughout the entire time, but when push came to shove, she did everything exactly as promised and really did put in her all in the final encounter.

Of course, she could be described as a fool for doing that, but I mean, her earnest belief that N’zoth wasn’t going to completely kill her once he’s free is commendable too.

It’s not even hyperbole to say I felt more actual chemistry between Azshara negotiating with N’zoth in fish form back in Warbringers then anything involving Sylvanas/Nathanos or whatever counts as a ‘pairing’ nowadays.

Plus, the way N’zoth and Azshara have arranged the whole naga lifecycle basically makes them the proxy parents of the entire race for millenia now. Blizzard even gave it surprising focus throughout Nazjatar and 8.2. You get the daily to stop Zoatroid Harvesters fetching naga eggs from the Najzatar hatchery area, because they’re bringing them somewhere else that is presumably safer. If you quest there, it’s one of the areas that N’zoth would be actively whispering to you like he’s noticing you interfering with the eggs.

Then when you’re in the Eternal Palace, you realize they were bringing it to Azshara’s personal hatchery, where she basically lays claim to all of them even though she doesn’t lay any (AFAWK). And what is the only thing even in the area and solely taking care of the eggs? Not any naga handmaidens or the like, but a specifically created aberration called Orgozoa, who would have to have come off N’zoth himself like other faceless and aberrations do, spraying incubation and amniotic fluid over the developing eggs, while being aided by zoatroids hiding among the eggs as defenses.

I mean, ofc the intention here is that N’zoth’s been keeping tabs on naga development and mutation over millenia of generation, but him being invovled at all is kinda interesting.

Also on the thing about Lovecraftian horrors. WoW Old Gods are already far away from Lovecraftian Old Ones just by having a personality and being this much in contact with mortals. It was considered a huge feat for an Old One to even notice mortals in old Lovecraft works.

But if you want to compare N’zoth to a Lovecraftian Old One, his physical description is actually closest to Yog-Sothoth, and his behavior is close to the avatar forms of Yog-Sothoth (one avatar is visually characterized by a bright light; the other is one of the few times an Old One interacts with mortals kinda benevolently and doesn’t induce madness). Yog-Sothoth is also one of the few Old Ones known to successfully father hybrid offspring with a human, in The Dunwich Horror.

1 Like

Mentioned in the big post up there from me, but it really depends on the Lovecraftian Old One we’re talking about. Yog-Sothoth fathered 2 sons with Lady Whateley in The Dunwich Horror. Ofc there was zero emotion involved and she was a means to an end, but this event in itself is rare since it’s even hard for Old Ones to either notice or interact in any way with mortals.

Yog-Sothoth also had an avatar form where he’s described being vaguely benevolent, and specifically mortals could interact with him without being driven to madness while in that form.

Either way, WoW Old Gods are actually nothing like the Lovecraftian horrors they were based on anymore, because they have very clearly defined and easily comprehensible goals (“Corrupt the crap out of the planet; make Dark Titan; make Void dads proud”), and each has an actual personality complete with conversations.

1 Like

They are also more subtle… The only times they weren’t subtle were with the Cataclysm Twilight’s Hammer(summoning Faceless the moment you meet them in Darkshore) and the Legion Emerald Nightmare(who don’t even hide that they are the Nightmare).

The K’thir hid their presence and whom they worshipped in Stormsong Monastery much better than the Deep Ones(or WoW’s Twilight’s Hammer) ever did and only showed their true nature following the 4th stop in Stormsong Valley whereas the Deep Ones’ true nature was apparent before the audience was even exposed to their territories(their inhuman appearance and deity is mentioned right at the start and the trip to a normal museum reveals their Frog-Fishmen nature).

The Iron Army also showed subtlety as did the Sha(whose nature as Old God spawned aberrations was kept secret till the end of Dread Wastes’ storyline) and Mantid(whose nature as Aqir was also kept secret till the end of Dread Wastes’ storyline).

The Void didn’t show a noticeable connection to the Old Gods till Shadowmoon Valley where the Shadowmoon Clan started summoning Old God Tentacles and Voidwalkers didn’t reveal their Old God-aligned nature(sprouting Tentacles no less) till Mac’Aree and their armored counterparts the Void Lords weren’t exposed as the Old Gods’ masters till Nighthold by Xal’atath!

Void is good at subtlety until the right moment while the Lovecraftian Gods’ moralities are so blue and orange they expose themselves right away even while their motives(and why exactly some like Nyarlathotep want sacrifices) are hidden!

The only really subtle lovecraft god is nyarlathotep mostly because it is the only one that really gets humans the rest barely realize mortals are around

Yes! Thank You! You get it. Like it’s actually legit more interesting for these two to have developed some sort of relationship, despite both being super “evil” or whatever since like you said we kind of just expect them to immediately dispense with one or the other once they think they’ve served each others purpose… but… it adds much more depth to them as characters and as villains for them to not do that, to actually have loyalty towards eachother. I also agree with you about the chemistry going on in the warbringers cinematic.

1 Like

And he does the exact same thing as Gorak Tul(create Witch Cults that preform sacrifice on a daily basis) whose minions out themselves to the player during the first stop(the Tidesages in Stormsong Valley take a bit longer to reveal themselves as K’thir as in 4 stops longer).

I absolutely ship them! :grin:

Personally, I don’t really want Azshara to die … I mean if I had to chose, I’d sell out Sylvanas merely to keep lol

3 Likes

Hey me and you both buddy, but it’s easy choice for me

N’zoth no Uta seems like a good direction for Azshara.

You do not bring on Darin DePaul and not capitalise on his voice

1 Like

Why must you remind me of Saya!?!

The thought of Saya makes me wish for a sequel following the Good Ending(where the Protagonist is cured of his insanity and Saya goes off alone to find her father) that has Saya run into a guy who decides to exploit her ability to alter bodies to her liking using Retroviruses in order to create new species with the ability to convert others into their kind.

Said new species?

• K’thir/N’raqi(that can spray targets with Liquid from their hands filled with Retroviruses to create new K’thir/N’Raqi)

• Blood Troll/Elementals(can spray Blood with Blood Troll/Elemental Retrovirus from hands)

• Nightmares(can spray a slightly luminescent gas with Nightmare Retrovirus from hands)

• Sha(can spray a luminescent gas with Sha Retrovirus from hands)

• Ankoan/Deep Murlocs(can spray Ankoan/Deep Murloc Retrovirus water from hands)

• Void Revenants(can spray a slightly luminescent gas with Void Revenant Retrovirus from hands)

Once this exploitive ally of Saya has got his Races and discovers Saya’s history he placates her by suggesting to turn him into a N’raqi with the power to convert Saya into a human form using a Retrovirus ridden slightly luminescent purple gas with the promise to turn her back when it was time.

After he has Humanized her and discovered how to reach Saya’s realm this guy in the Saya no Uta sequel I desire would have his species create Cults that would breech into Saya’s homeworld not to worship her species but to convert them into K’thir/N’raqi, Blood Trolls/Elementals, Nightmares, Sha, Ankoan/Deep Murlocs and Void Revenants against their will!

Yes I love entertaining the idea of incomprehensible Lovecraftian beings being Out-Lovecrafted by a Lovecraft-reading Humanity that wants to make their own Fantasies of Eldritch Madness into a reality over the Eldritch Fantasies of Alien Invaders!

I thought the good ending was where she bloomed and recreated the world into something Fumi could find beauty in.

This is more or less what I’m hoping for from N’Zoth.
Faceless One allied race when?

Don’t you mean K’thir Allied Race? If N’Zoth does turn out to be the good guy then K’thir(with N’raqi as a Racial Skill) would be perfect as an Allied Race as would other Void Races like:

1. Sha-men like Shaku, the Collector from Hearthstone(https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/hearthstone_gamepedia/2/29/Shaku%2C_the_Collector_full.jpg?version=3979feee41fe11fd339f89fcc1826e59).

2. Void Ethereals(with Void Revenant as a Racial Skill)

3. Blood Trolls(with Blood Elemental as a Racial Skill)

4. Nightmares

5. N’Zoth-men based on the Horrific Vision (https://www.wowhead.com/npc=151581/horrific-vision#modelviewer:10+0)

I suppose I do. I had thought the K’thir in Stormsong Valley were just a smaller breed of the Faceless Ones, due to the tentacle faces. Either way, I’d definitely buy a race change to become a squid person.
IA N’ZOTH