Nvidia Web Driver

Yes apple re-released security update with a higher build, so need new driver for that too.

Is this now the new norm for us Mac gamers?

Vis-a-vis nVidia, yes.

Got updated this morning, fortunately. HOPEFULLY will recognize my card again…
[GryphonMD]

Apple re-released the security update because the original version had some pretty serious problems for many during installation, including, but not limited to leaving installation-only cruft at root level and not completing the install at all in some cases.

If only we could have driver releases that didn’t require specific OSes and vice versa. You know, like Windows’ drivers get. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

or at the least ones that are valid for a specific release, no matter what version of security update, would already go a long way

To be fair, one of the “features” of security updates these days is a frequent modification of the sandbox rules. These can affect driver access. Most of the time they don’t affect nVidia, but they can, so nVidia has to check this.

1 Like

Man, 25 days I haven’t peeked in here! Still not seeing any serious reason I MUST go to HS. BUT I have some interesting stuff to say (other than a slew of blizzbugs that are annoying the hell out of me, as in stuff that worked fine now broken)! I think along and around 815 I noticed my app switched was every now and then a no-show. Got more frequent as time went by. Eventually got to the point where it didn’t work at all. MAJOR issue, yeah I could use cmd.-M, but that was way slow shrinking it then expanding it. I also had a queasy feeling about how the game looked, it just didn’t have much snap and pop. Hit the graphics, wow, I THOUGHT I had it on 6 or so, but it was 5. Bumped it to 6, odd, my application switcher returned.

Decided to really play around. Seems I can push it to around 9 before I started seeing any fps reduction. Got into a long and wonderful convo w/Stoneblade=Frost in the MacTech community. Really played with the new gamma, brightness, contrast controls and the overall graphics settings. ot it pegged at 60fps (have a 60Hz monitor) with graphics set to 7 and it looks great. Yes, I do see some texture shimmering, like in leaves at the tops of trees while I am on a bird.

Still waiting to see what the supposed pro machine is all about. As I am done with my professional life,I have no need for such a machine, although for nostalgia’s sake (my first one was May 1984, around Labor day of that year I had a 512k FatMac with a 10MB internal drive!). BUT I seriously doubt I’d get a machine that I can out any GPU as long as it’s made by AMD into it. THAT is not modular at all.

cMP 4-evah!

Did Nvidia ever update the drivers for the latest security patch?

Yes. WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.124.pkg.

[GryphonMD]

1 Like

You deserve pie and cake. Thank you.

Nvidia has released a driver update for 10.13.6 that fixes the issues with Wow 8.1.5.

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.127.pkg

10.14.x users will likely be waiting for apple to merge nvidia’s fixes into their built in driver, no telling when that’ll be. However, 10.13.6 users can fix the issue immediately by installing new web driver and making sure it’s loaded instead of stock one.

1 Like

This new driver works really well. All of my ground clutter problems are gone. This is on a late 2013 iMac with the nVidia GTX 780M chip.

Seconded. SO much nicer!

EDIT: ok, better, but still has artifacts from the ground clutter layer sometimes.

[GryphonMD]

Much better. No crashes, ground clutter doesn’t flash. Only artifact is the ripple effect that’s been in High Sierra forever (one of the reasons I use Sierra when I can)

No idea what you mean by ripple effect, if you can explain it better maybe blizzard can get them to fix that too

When traveling out in the open world the window will “ripple” (for lack of a better term) from bottom to top. It looks like a distorted wave of pixels that spans the whole width of the screen. I don’t see this in Sierra and I don’t recall seeing it when I’m stationary. I see it frequently when taking flight paths.

It’s similar to what you’d see in a movie of a CRT screen showing what the screen is showing, except slower.

Happens on both a GTX 980ti and a GTX 1080.

AH I know exactly what you mean. I feel like that has been there since WOD when they changed to a differed renderer, I don’t know if that lines up to high sierra or not. I distinctly remembering that starting during wod though. I’ll pass it on though as a curiosity.

Argh. The ground clutter flashing is again as bad as ever in certain areas (but NOT, oddly, in every zone). I’m tempted to uninstall and reinstall the driver just in case there’s artifacts left from the old version.

Is anyone else still seeing the ground clutter issue?

[GryphonMD]

you are claiming to still have issue on 10.13.6 with the new web driver?

first, I’d make sure you are running web driver and not stock. if your nvram got reset or if using a hackintosh with nvram not properly configured, it’d reset back to stock driver. if you are on 10.14.x then the web driver update isn’t for you and problem will NOT be resolved by installing it.