NPCs when War Mode is OFF

So is there a reason why players are allowed to turn war mode off and then go camp in other faction towns and just camp quest NPCs for hours? I thought the whole point of war mode was so I wouldn’t have to deal with that kind of thing?

If you want to get on your horde character, turn on war mode and go camp darkshire for hours, be my guest. I as the non-war mode player shouldn’t have to get my friends or get on my main to come kill horde players just to level an alt.

Simple solution to. Just make it so if you have war mode off, you can’t attack NPCs from the other faction and they can’t attack you. Then we can all sit around the fire, drink out hot chocolate and sing cringy old camp fire songs.

1 Like

This is literally the argument I make constantly and the only response most players have is “lawl turn off war mode” like it’s some golden response. Like, War Mode being turned off doesn’t prevent players from being absolute pricks and just camping quest givers because they can.

And it is the simplest option out there – it’s not like asking for pvp to only be enabled on a by-zone basis (which would also solve the problem and still keep the essence of War Mode alive for players that actually want fair(er) PvP engagements and not just to troll around (which is 90% of pvp players in this game, they just won’t admit it - hence ‘turn off war mode’)). It’s simpler than asking that if you are questing in Northrend with War Mode on - you can only be attacked by and can only engage other players level 60-80 if you are level 60-80.

No, it’s a simple – disable the ability to toggle pvp flagging without toggling War Mode - so that anyone who is not in War Mode does not have to deal with players flagging themselves to kill quest givers without having War Mode on and being in that shard/phase.

1 Like

when they are flagged you go get your main and kill them and then go back to questing…

4 Likes

Brilliant… because I want to be pvping when I have war-mode turned off…

6 Likes

Personally, I don’t think it makes much sense to have NPC’s be killable when WM is off. My hunch is that Blizz probably didn’t intend for this to be possible, but, as is a pattern for them, they did not fully test their WM changes, and any fix will either a) never happen or b) take years to be implemented (and perhaps still have bugs). /cynicism

4 Likes

You still get flagged for PvP when you fly by a tower in Legion. It’s seems intentional imo.

has there ever been a server where the opposing faction couldnt do this? i know this happened on normal servers which i thought wm off was like.

1 Like

This has been an activity people have done for as long as the game has existed, PvP realm or not. Razing an enemy base or taking over their territory has a lot of appeal for some; killing the flight master to prevent that person from getting away or slaying quest givers to stop the enemy faction building up their army.

There are options available to you; you can either get on your main (which isn’t always a possibility, particularly if you are a new person) or you can find a new zone. I’m in the process of levelling a new toon and I’m rediscovering some long-forgotten zones that I’ve seen maybe one other person in the whole time.

I play primarily in War Mode but am always surprised when I turn it off to help someone that I have 5-6x+ the health of elite city/town guards. I would say that guards and other NPCs of note are too easily disregarded these days; there was a time when aggroing the flight masters required real effort to kill them and their angry wyverns/gryphons. Now you can just look at them and they die.

3 Likes

Another option many players have taken is to quit the game after getting bottlenecked behind a few quest hub lockdowns and unable to play.

A lot of us thought they were going to fix this so warmode off meant your quest giver or flightmaster couldn’t be locked down. Clearly we were wrong.

1 Like

lol unable to play when a player isnt killing you but your quest giver.

1 Like

This was never stated and having no PvP in the game at all has never been an option. This is not a new problem nor is it one that is caused by war mode.

It people quit over someone killing quest givers rather than going to a different zone, asking for help or taking them out themselves then that is too bad. Probably the same people that leave m+ after one death or the “just let them win” crowd.

Technically you have the advantage when people decide to act like d-bags this way.
You can just wait, wm off, pvp off, until they decide to attack the npc. Then once they attack the npc they will be stuck pvp flagged for at least 5 min after the combat. That’s when you manually flag yourself for pvp (which you can do anywhere) and jump the guy. You’ll get the first shot and surprise.

If you kill him, easier to do with some help of friends, the d-bag should have a long run back. You may even have enough time to unflag yourself for pvp in which case he won’t be able to attack you.

1 Like

The whole point of War-mode is that for the people who don’t want to deal with pvp can turn it off and not have to deal with pvp. If people want to have war-mode on and go camp an enemy town go for it. Shouldn’t be a thing to have war-mode off, go to an enemy town and just start camping it.

Except that doesn’t help when you’re lvl 30 lvling an alt and they’re 120. I don’t play with war-mode on because I don’t want to have to deal with world pvp. So getting to a town being camped by the other faction while I am questing through that zone means I have to stop what I am doing to get them removed from my way, one way or another.

Even before War Mode existed people camped low level towns. Not having War Mode enabled means you are protected from being killed by other players, not that PvP is disabled on your realm entirely. You are still protected from the person killing the townsfolk unless you choose to engage. That is the difference between War Mode on and off.

Not having War Mode enabled is not a carebear mode that makes it so the world is no longer threatening.

Not that it was threatening beyond pvp in the 1st place.

Anyway, let me ask you this. What’s the point of war-mode if all it does is make every server a choice enabled pvp server and fundamentally changes nothing? Could have accomplished the same thing by just tracking if people had the pvp flag toggled on.

I’m not sure I understand your question but there is a distinct difference between going to a summon stone and seeing one guy flagged because he just left a battleground vs anyone in Azeroth being a threat.

What you are describing is exactly what PvE realms were before the implementation of War Mode. Now, players - regardless of their realm - have the option to toggle a mode that is effectively a PvP server.

What is the point of war-mode if by tracking that the pvp flag of a player is turned on, they can still get their bonus xp, pvp quests, etc.? They put in a lot of effort of making war-mode and fundamentally changed nothing by doing way more work then the had to.

People who play on pvp servers were pretty much always going to have war-mode turned on. People who like wpvp on pve servers would have it turned on. And the trolls who like to go to the enemy towns to camp it and troll new players/people playing alts were always going to troll.

By making it so war-mode off means you can’t attack enemy npcs means, they only people those trolls can bother are people who willingly turned war-mode on will be bothered by them.

At the end of the day, when you make a system that separates out the pvpers from the non-pvpers, the expectation is that the non-pvpers don’t have to deal with the pvpers messing with their playing experience.

1 Like

You wrote a 40 page post about something that has gone on since before you started playing or when you started… it will always be part of the game and if you quit because of the game then it prolly wasnt for you.

It’s a bit different. In War Mode, you have PvP on all the time, everywhere you go.

PvP servers were a bit different. You had Enemy Territory, Contested Territory, and Friendly Territory. For example, if you’re an Alliance player, Elwynn Forest is Friendly Territory. You could choose to unflag yourself in these territories, so low levels in starting zones weren’t at risk.

Contested Zones everyone was flagged in, and Enemy Territory only the enemy faction was flagged in.

1 Like

You can literally go to SW or any major city of your faction and turn war-mode off.