Now that the dust has settled, why did shadowlands fail?

Did not pull the ripcord when they could have at any time early in the expansion, and also broke the promise of not adding more rental systems post launch.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

10 Likes

systems. the systems. thats why it failed.

plus the poor prepatch release cadence.

11 Likes

Bad retcons mostly, but 2 additional years of the torture that was Sylvanas (ending with her still alive and able to make a return at any moment), ruined it for me.

17 Likes

I think a green area would of been fitting or simply a more natures-que azerothian feel to encapsulate that nature after life vibe. I think they had great architecture for parts of the bastion hub [just adding on a thought I had of other parts of SL that I liked].

So much potential :sob:

3 Likes

A special mention for the horrible mishandling and disrespect Arthas was shown as a character.

One of the biggest things I was looking forward to up to the release of Shadowlands was the return of some classic villains including Arthas.

What we got speaks for itself.

31 Likes

For me, all the zones sort of gave off this lonely vibe. The colors were either very dull or way too vibrant. I hated being in Maldraxxus. Revendreth wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t something I was always looking forward to going to. Ardenweald I hated it; why the hell was the zone all blue and purple? It should’ve been green. Now, Bastion had great potential, but my issue with that zone was it was way too vibrant. It was a literal eyesore.

Another issue I encountered was the renown system, I remember being the max renown, (40) in season one, but all of a sudden the new renown system was 80. That had really bothered me at the time because I hated going to the maw and saving souls. So, I decided to take a break.

Legendaries, don’t get me started please, I hate Unity. To this day, I still don’t have unity upgraded all the way because I don’t feel grinding reputation.

7 Likes

Arthas the fart bubble :laughing:

Another thing that just was so badly done.
Just used to hook people in then go the really lame route of somehow giving Sylvanas closure… :nauseated_face:

10 Likes

Torghast was too slow.

2 Likes

It would fit very well with all the zones. Blue and purple just feel really out of place for all four zones. The vibe I sort of envisioned for Ardenweald at the time was sort of a Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time forest.

2 Likes

9.1 took 8 months to come out and then it was terrible.

Most other explanations are fluff or someone with an agenda.

9 Likes

Yup, they really just have some great ideas b ut do it in a way that sucks the life out of me when I try playing it. Or go ‘‘why blizzard! when you could of done X instead of Y’’ kind of deal.

Bastion definitely was an eye sore in a way.

Could of easily done this mini world of its own that had that architecture strewn around that made you feel like you were in the heaven part of the SL afterlife [is how I see it].

Many t hings I wonder why they did what they did but then I remember Ion saying the dev who wants to work on it, gets dibbs and they kind of go with it.

If someone who reallyl has the experience got a hold of shadowlands, I imagine they’d do it proper.

4 Likes

To compare and contrast with another dumpster fire of an expansion, Shadowlands had a poor plan with decent-ish execution, while Warlords of Draenor had a decent plan with poor execution.

Of the two, I’d rate Shadowlands the lower. The team inherited a story that was in an inverted flat spin with all engines on fire, and there was no way that it wasn’t going to crash and burn. It didn’t matter how well they flew it, it was always going to end in an expanding shell of shrapnel and combustion by-products.

I’d argue the team themselves agree with this assessment. They’ve pushed the “and we shall never speak of this again” button, keeping new players going from Exile’s Reach to BfA rather than sending them through Shadowlands.

6 Likes

Oh look, it’s the person who is the one truth to rule 'em all is here.
I’m guessing your explanation isn’t fluff or with an agenda :laughing:

1 Like

Personally the game felt like it hasn’t changed much since Legion and has only become more bland and boring with BFA and Shadowlands.
Class reworks are a huge part of what makes excited for new expansions. New dungeons and raids are the other big reason.
Otherwise it’s just the same old collect 8 of these kill 15 of those, rinse and repeat.

With Dracthyr being introduced I’m enjoying the game greatly because it’s a new class that I actually enjoy and it’s fun to try the new abilities and play with the talent trees.

4 Likes

The story was awful.
Too many things felt like chores
The maw was horrendous
Tower was horrendous
Covenants were corny
They ruined sylvannas
They ruined Tyrande
Da hell did Malfurion go again?
No one really cares about Anduin
Why are we working together…again.

…and now they are most likely going to ruin the aspects lore.

13 Likes

:wave:

Something like 8 million people bought Shadowlands within the first few months. There was no lack of initial hype.

The truth is, people were mostly fine with 9.0… except we hit the 4 month mark and there was no 9.1 in sight. And then another month went by, and another month went by, and you only need to look at Bellular’s analysis of engagement analytics to see that people just got bored of 9.0. And 9.1 barely did anything to turn the losses around because it was a bare-bones patch all things considered. We were something 15 or 16 months into the expansion before the expansion got its first meaty update. Of course the expansion was doomed.

Blizzard themselves acknowledge this, that one of their biggest aims in Dragonflight is to improve their content pipeline.

Time will tell. We cannot say DF won’t fail until we see them deliver post-launch content.

3 Likes

-Bad Zones
-Bad Story
-Bad Characters
-Horrendous and insulting retcon of beloved characters to fit a shoehorned narrative
-Character assassination of Sylvanas with no repercussions at all for what she did and technically being able to say “it wasnt really her”
-Terrible Covenant design choices
-Removal of flight whistle
-Having the zones be separated
-Terrible raids (nathria was brilliant, rest were awful)
-Anima grind was awful
-Unfriendly covenant grind for alts
-TORGHAST!!!
-Blizzards insistence on locking flight behind Pathfinder grinds
-Acting like the Shadowlands was something that has been built towards for a long time and not just thought up last week
-No real conclusion to the story, who were the first ones? Where are they? Why are they gone? How come the entirety of the Shadowlands makes no sense when you look at how death has worked prior to this story, The Forge of Afterlives… is it running again? What was Zovaal afraid of? How come Pelagos is the Arbiter yet he still runs around with you as a companion after the fact?

Shadowlands made WoD look amazing by comparison and that was a low point. Ive always said that if Blizzard wanted to worse than WoD they would have to try and yet BfA lowered the bar and then SL took the bar, smashed it into pieces, spat on the shards, replaced the bar with some straws and toothpics held together with bubblegum and said “there, its always been leading to this!”

39 Likes

Too much catering to bad/solo players.

1 Like

Sorry that is a load of crock :nauseated_face:

10 Likes

Shadowlands had a bad story. A bad setting. Bad characters. Bad Zones. Bad voice acting. Bad in-game cinematics.

Even the dungeons were not that good. It was all bad. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

We’re all looking forward to Dragonflight.

4 Likes