Now Available: Queue for Battlegrounds from Anywhere

Yes, that is the entire crux of our argument.

You believe RDF does not have a *negative impact on the game, or that the impact is avoidable.

I disagree, and think it is a literal replay of the ‘slippery slope’ that we already went down with retail.

Forcing me to hawk over the constantly rolling text of LFG chat doesn’t allow me to go and interact with the world while I’m waiting to do a dungeon, that affects my game play but you don’t care because it doesn’t affect yours. Just say you want it your way.

Hello, let me introduce you to the group finder, which is the specific solution blizz implemented to avoid the need for 200 mph LFG chat parsing: New Group Finder UI for Wrath Classic - Wowhead News

Hello, let me introduce you to being skipped over for group invites over and over again because I’m not what the group is looking for or not the class they want, RDF eliminates that issue.

and i disagree, ive listend to the dev interviews, read the announcements, versed myself in their reasoning, and even looked up a few colorful charts that prove cata was the reason wows popularity slid down the slope to horrible. a series of horrible dlcs, LFR , completely changing the mechanics of several classes… it wasnt RDF that started the slip. you may as well blame transmog or the barber as blame rdf.

rdf was a tool of convenience that allowed alot of folks that never went into LFG channel to actually get in on runs. it allowed me to help alot of folks by running my tankin pally with my healer in my pocket , it opened the door for alot of dps to get runs, i met alot of great people, some switched to our server to join our growing guild. there was never anything negative about running rdf for me and mine. sometimes we premade our group and qued into rdf to get a teleport due to time limitations, other times we did it just to make dps runs available. we even made a couple of guild alliances that we never would have without rdf.

so, yeah, rdf was NOT the thing that killed wows popularity. will never be in my opinion. it did great things for me and mine.

Sounds like you should actually utilize the group finder tool to form a group, instead of passively listing yourself and waiting to get picked up!

doesnt work that way anymore, its all about knowing the “right” people and being able to stomach all the garbage in chat.

Agreed, it is a tool of convenience. It reduces the small barrier of entry for dungeons/etc and speeds up the game flow. My argument is that the negative effects this ‘optimization’ on gameplay outweigh the accessibility benefits.

There are possible compromises, of course – my main hang-ups with RDF are the instant-teleport to dungeon, the soon-after rework or all dungeon quests now available directly inside the dungeon, and the inevitable player push for faster and faster dungeon runs to be used as a complete replacement for leveling in the open world.

You made the statement, it’s not laterally applicable therefore you should not have worded it that way. Or you don’t actually believe it. Nothing to argue about.

i absolutely am boggled by this… i undestand the quests being inside the dungeon being a problem, i was all for the “you cant que until you visit it once physically” for the northrend dungeons. but the instant teleport? how does that affect anyone other than to let me be out in the world, teleport to dungeon, say hi, im a mage, (run chit chat), gg, cya, and teleport back to where i was questing? and the option when its all over to hang out for a minute in the dungeon to maybe throw a guild invite or chat about reque with same group?

i see sooo many of the anti rdf crowd using the “i hate the telport to the dungeon, everyone should walk to it” the ONLY reasoning i could see behind that is that maybe its pvpers and they want the shot of camping the dungeon entrance?

Only tanks and healers will have instant queue, dps will have to wait a bit and be able to still be in the open world questing while waiting. Forcing people to physically run to the dungeon won’t promote socialization as it doesn’t now why would it then. The only socializing is “summon pls”

1 Like

To the people who think RDF == BG queueing:

BGs have always had an option to queue with randoms.

Dungeons only queued with randoms after RDF.

Nope, only PvP server I played on was my first in the latter half of vanilla.

Instant-teleportation makes the dungeons feel like disposable one-night stands. It also reduces the number of people you see in the game world – nowadays on fresh servers you’ll easily pass by 3-4 full groups when you yourself are heading to the dungeon entrance. Getting teleported back to wherever you were also de-incentivizes the group sticking together to either re-run the dungeon or maybe complete some of the zone quests in the area near the dungeon entrance. In PvP servers there is an even larger impact, but as I said earlier I only play in PvE so I don’t really have an opinion for them.

Downtime is necessary in gameplay. If there’s only peaks and no lulls, the things that used to be peaks become commonplace and boring. This leads to another iteration of ‘i’m bored, this takes too long, make it faster’ ad infinitum until the ethos of the game has transformed completely into instant-gratification self-important mobile game trudgery.

Edit: There’s a fair amount of good discussion about both viewpoints available in this older thread: [Classic] Looking for Dungeon - Community / WoW Community Council - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

i would see those same people while im out questing and farming waiting for the que to pop. i dont see what socialization it gives you since if youre running to a dungeon you arent stopping to have tea with them.

your opinion sure but never did for me.

never once in my history of manually grouping has the group EVER stuck together or run quests outside the dungeon.

this only applies to those that spend 8 hours a day on the game, rdf was more for those that have 2 hours a night due to jobs, family, sports, etc etc…

everything your listing here isnt about what rdf does, its how rdf makes you feel about the game and how you think it intrudes on your little sphere of influence.

none of what you have said ever happened to me in 7 years of wow including everything up to and including mop (between cata and mop i gave up any hope of playing wow again until i went private server)

and i can tell you that rdf was very well received in private and all 5 of the servers i checked in on pre maladath, 4 of them were small pops and begging for rdf, and even on atiesh the opinion in trade and LFG chat was “please give us rdf”

Chat pugging is queueing with randoms, RDF just streamlines the process.

4 Likes

Lol, look at my achievement points and the dates.

Looks like they patched the ability to take a pvp queue while in combat.

Quit living in the past my guy lol.

No one cares about leveling AGAIN with heirlooms. They cared about PvPing with heirlooms moreso.

No one is sitting around saying “hurr durr I’m weady to level 1-80 again for the 10th time wiff heirlooms where I won’t get any upgwayds hurr durr”. :joy::rofl::sweat_smile::joy:

Grade A dummy.

I know at least one guy…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.