Note to Devs about mounts

I would love to see WoW mounts become more than just an accessory that happens to get you from point A to point B, or even fly over those points to a destination. It would probably be too much to ask, but I’m putting this idea out there. Who knows, something might trigger a change.

To set the stage here I need to tell you I also play GW2. The mounts that have been introduced into GW2 do more than just give you a ride (or lift) but actually offer utility, albeit limitedly.

However, recently GW2 is offering an amazing Beetle Race as a contest with rewards, including a real life reward of a VW Beetle. You can read all about it if you google this:
Check out this exclusive look at Guild Wars 2’s jaw-dropping Infernal Leap roller beetle track

My posting is really just a request for WoW devs to come up with something we can actually do with our current mounts outside of their normal ability of running or flying.

How about setting up some fun racing and give us something to really do with our current mounts?

1 Like

I was hoping this would be about GW2’s mount system. I didn’t like a lot of things about that game, but their mounts really shine. Honestly one of my favorite things was just running around in the world, especially after I got the gryphon. It’s a unique system, and so much fun.

It would, in my opinion, be a decent balance in the flying/no flying debate. Instead of being grounded until pathfinder comes out, we could get gliding mounts or something similar.

1 Like

Spiders should walk up walls! That’s my example. But yes I agree with OP.

But I don’t want a VW beetle…

I think mounts should have “families” to categorize them, and then each family has small “racial abilities” that have a little impact in gameplay.

Right now, only two mount “families” have something like that: waterstriders (able to walk on water) and the promotion/fishing turtles (swimmer mount that is slower than other swimmer mounts but does not dispell when walking on land).

But, in a way, flying mounts already have a special “perk” in that they can fly, so maybe this system could apply only to ground mounts? Not sure about that.

Some possible effects:

• Slightly faster on land (around 10% faster?)
  • You stay mounted for 3 more seconds after attacking (so, limited mounted combat)
  • Increased dodge/evasion while mounted
  • Immune to knockbacks/roots while mounted
  • Reduce slowing effects
  • Higher/longer jumps while mounted
  • Swim slightly faster than other land mounts
  • Reduced damage taken while mounted
  • Reduced fall damage while mounted
  • Becomes faster for X seconds after suffering an attack

Imagine that each mount “family” has one or two effects like those, like horses could have increased speed, wolves allow limited mounted combat, cats increase dodge/evasion, kodos are immune to knockbacks/roots and so on.

That would make your mount more than just a cosmetic, while not granting enough advantages to make any of them instantly better than the others.

What do you think?

1 Like

Something I would LOVE to see is the ability to summon a flying mount while falling. You see in multiple fantasy movies and literature where someone jumps off the building or cliff only to have their trusty mount swoop down and catch them on their back so the two of them can fly off to safety. Make it a lvl 100 ability that requires the highest level of riding.

1 Like