Not Telling the Whole Truth with Covenants (SL Beta Quest Spoilers)

Just like IRL: You have one wife, not four.

I really don’t think this is an issue, this is how the game’s been sold to us, that covenants all have their own stories, their own gear & their own abilities, This is what I was expecting & hoping for.

Not once has Blizzard stated that the main story plot is locked behind Covenants.

I feel like it was kinda implied, this is entirely what I was expecting, that every covenant would have their own stories, their own cosmetics & their own abilities.

And I completely disagree with the “their own story,” because…and I’m just repeating myself at this point because I feel like I need to defend this:

1. They went out of their way to make me the savior of every single zone in the expansion as I leveled the quest.
  2. As I leveled, I was heavily involved both in game and mentally into the story line.
  3. You have quests once you pick a covenant to go help the other covenants as well. Why would I not be allowed to continue the story I finished if I still have to go to the zone and help them anyway?

I feel I’m at my wit’s end, but I don’t know what else to do other than defend my point of view and hope the devs please listen to my plea.

I’m just glad I’m not the only one that disagrees with this confusing bull.

3 Likes

Another day of waiting for answers…

I’m so frustrated that I’m actually contemplating canceling my subscription after 15 years. I hate that I’ve already pre-ordered this digitally. I absolutely would not have if I had known I was only going to get 1/4th of the story for not damn reason other than “meaningful choices” BS.

The silence is seriously starting to really make me salty.

3 days later… Come on.

The end game questing (after cov pick) should be the start of a new story line, so you still complete the questing story in all zones then pick one end game story.

The legion class hall stories were basically all the same story (we must prepare to fight the legion!) With various minor theme difference. Unless you were a lore junkie it didn’t really matter if you didn’t see them all, as the main story of Legion was with the nightfallen.

1 Like

Spittin’ straight facts.

Another day, another attempt at finding answers…

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/development-update-the-road-to-shadowlands/638371

I never felt more ignored than I do now. Not once was it brought up that you open the quests we were already involved in. Not once did you bring up the fact that we have to help the other covenants regardless of which one we choose.

I believe I, and the many others that liked this post and commented, were ignored.

3 Likes

I literally didn’t know this was even a thing until I read your post in the responses to Watcher’s post.

How is this not a bigger deal? “Just YouTube the story” is the best way to handle the story? I thought they were trying to make this more like a traditional RPG? Yes, let’s make the game impossible to balance, prevent people from being able to freely choose in a MMO, and completely restrict them from seeing the entire story?

If this is their attempt to make an RPG, please don’t bother trying to make a single player one. It would get absolutely torched if these are your methods for creating an RPG. These guys REALLY don’t know what they’re doing.

2 Likes

I’m also getting sick and tired of people calling me entitled just because I want to see the full story and not 1/4th of the story when I pick a covenant…

4 Likes

‘Entitled’ is go-to dismissal on these forums. If your opinion or concern is anything less than ‘the game is perfect’, then you are ‘entitled’. Doesn’t matter how valid it is, you are always ‘entitled’. And even if you do think it’s perfect, you’re probably still ‘entitled’, somehow.

It gets tossed around so much the word has almost lost all meaning.

3 Likes

It’s so funny, because there isn’t an actual story reason why you don’t join all of them. They all cooperate pretty well, and their dailies constantly send you to help the others. The idea of only being able to join 1, after saving all 4 yourself, is kind of stupid and half baked.

2 Likes

You probably shouldn’t sweat this and some point loss of money will overcome ego and this Dev team will open it up to all, greed is greater than bullheadedness.

I’m only upset about this because I don’t want to have to cancel my sub after 15 years playing…

But I can’t possibly enjoy playing this game knowing I have to jump through covenant hoops and grind every rep and renown just to see the story line I was already a part of before picking the covenant…

Another day, another attempt to get some sort of answers.

On top of this, there are more constant bugs in beta that make no sense: I can’t deposit anima anymore so they’re filling up my bags.

This game is supposed to be live in less than a month, right? :expressionless:

I don’t want to ruin your impression of why this game exists, but it’s to extract money from players without expending additional development effort. If ActiBlizz could make the process take two years without people quitting in droves, that’s exactly what they would do. I would be willing to bet some of the dev staff would quit too because that would be a cr@ppy thing to have to go into work for.

It’s possible that the storyline already exists, and there’s already additional story content ready to go, but it’s not visible to people in beta. We can hope. Or it’s not and people will just not play. I have six months of game time and that’s how long I’m going to play. Maybe a year after this game time expires I’ll come back for the couple of months it would take to finish out the meager story that gets tacked on at the end. Or I’ll just keep playing FF XIV, because they seem to have taken the opposite approach of adding a variety of content.

Some questions I would like to have answered.

1.) If we leave a covenant, and then return to it later, do we keep our renown or does it reset?
2.) If we have anima reserved, does that also get reset if we switch back and forth?