Nonsensical antics in Thousand Needles

You leave my knaifu alone! She’s awesome…even if we got a weird eye of N’zoth forcibly attached to our foreheads afterwards!

Out of all the weirdness that was BfA, that was probably the weirdest one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wtf
is live-tweeting commentaries about WoW story forum threads something people do

8 Likes

Apparently yeah. It’s a weird if you ask me.

1 Like

Yes, but you are the problematic one for talking about them.

Don’t you know the people doing this have left this place behind??

Who? Oh, you mean Baal. Does he not post here anymore?

Anyways, I think he was on to something about it being the Iraq War simulator. I served two years in Iraq and don’t feel all that great about it after finding out the truth of the situation.

To be fair, I explicitly stated that I’m okay with being harsh, was cool with gunning down Orc soldiers trying to swim to shore, would even be okay with killing off the centaurs given proper reasons. I’m ok with not being a nice guy when the situation calls for it.

But in this case in particular, I can’t be okay with how things went down. I hate deception. And no, I don’t mean subterfuge, I mean deception as in trying to cheat and steal. Petty criminality doesn’t suit me.

I want options for how to deal with certain things. Like being able to choose responses to the Gnome quest giver that changes the quest objectives. Instead of “Those ingrates caught us trying to cheat them! They spit on our generosity! Go kill 15 of them and steal their oil! That’ll teach em!” Here, I’ll just copy/paste what the dude says:

"They’ve spit in our faces, . We made them a generous offer and they made the mistake of not accepting. Now we… you, will show them the error of their ways.

Clear the centaur off of the Splithoof Heights. The oil must flow!" followed by:

“That’ll teach them. You’ve softened the Splithoof up enough that we should be able to govern them now with a minimal guard presence from the Speedbarge.”

Maybe it is allegory for Iraq, I don’t know. But it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Like if I had the option of just going in with openly hostile intentions I’d have felt better. The deception and then the indignation when they caught us trying to cheat them… I’d rather have been straight up hostile from the start instead of attempting ‘negotiations’.

I meant recent as in I just did the quest chain before making the post. But yeah, I don’t stomp harpy eggs. I think I clicked on an egg once during the quest and discovered what it did, then never clicked on any other. Thank you for understanding my desire for agency.

1 Like

So…we should go sack a troll raid. THAN head to shadowlands and kill ‘em again for their anima. Just to rile people up some :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

And that’s fine. But most people know that we the player show up, a whole bunch of people, gods, wild gods, gods in between, etc are all gonna die.

Would choices be great? Sure, but we’re murder hobos for a reason :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We are absolutely killers, and there’s lots to talk about in that regard. But really I just want nuance, choice, the ability to choose my path more.

Outside of Support Sylvanas or Don’t have players had ANY choice in how things proceed? I want to be able to dictate how we approach getting that oil. In a perfect situation, a way of being able to find alternatives instead of simply honing in on that one source. Or instead of being on the rails in how to negotiate, have us be the ones who have options on what to say.

I’m not asking for straight up Dragon’s Age: Origins level of choice here, but ANY options would be better than “Don’t do the quest”.

1 Like

I think something like how The Old Republic handles combat and quest choices would be super neat actually.

6 Likes

Old republic has some issues but the way they handle the characters proximity to the story was always cool as hell to me

7 Likes

I played and greatly enjoyed taking on the role of a moral but dedicated Sith Juggernaut. I’d love to play my DK in similar fashion. But I can only do that in my head with WoW.

I’d like very much to be able to do… well ANYTHING more really.

4 Likes

Your adversity to the questline is more understandable after reading this. As unfortunate as that was, I thank you for your service.

2 Likes

It’s been a long-standing weirdness with WoW where the game likes to flip-flop between you being an amoral mercenary or a traveling hero, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting explicit “good guy” options for quests that otherwise want to railroad you into being skeevy. That’s a big part of why horde-side BFA felt so terrible, after all. But I think there’s a tone difference between stuff like “you pick up the magical mind-control knife and now you’re going to be a Dumb Adventurer for a while” and killing natives for oil.

From what I understand, it comes down to quest designers at the time having little to no cohesive vision for how to treat the player character. I noticed that this seemed to shift considerably for Shadowlands questing, where the game wanted to align the player’s actions into a general feel-good direction, but that expansion had its own issues.

2 Likes

I understand why such a questline is and would be upsetting to a veteran such as yourself. Thank for your service by the way. I get why wanting a choice other than mindless slaughter would be a better option for you.

2 Likes

WoW isn’t built to provide player agency, especially twelve years ago when Cataclysm came out. The few times they’ve tried recently have been limp wristed and most people kind of agree that they think blizzard should stop trying and just be more careful with how evil some of the joke questlines come can come off.

Goblins and Gnomes are depicted as dickhead industrialists and Centaurs(at least the Kalimdor ones. The Dragon Isle ones seem to be good guys) are depicted as acceptable targets because they tried to genocide the Tauren in the past. That combination lead to the quest chain in question. Is it sleazy and kind of dumb to be pulling the Ol’ British Empire special on people? Yeah. But it’s a product of it’s time. All we can do is ask that Blizzard actually stick to more heroic questing. Or at least acknowledge when we’re doing something morally grey and not just have sever cognitive dissonance for the sake of a dumb joke.

2 Likes

Baal is every bad thing anybody has ever accused woke people of being condensed into one person. If I found out he was a false flag by a right wing psyop outfit I wouldn’t be surprised.

6 Likes

I’ve seen worse. He’s not an atheist who yells at religious people, for one.

The only time I consider this acceptable is when;

1. The atheist is a former member of a cult. Usually one who was born into it
  2. They only target and criticize the religiously extreme people. Like the RWNJ televangelists. While wanting to work with the more progressive and moderate individuals within that religion. As extremism is a threat to those people as well.

Because at least they have experienced what it is like to be within those communities and how hard it is to walk away. Most of these groups tell your friends and family to act like you don’t exist at all. Unless you want to ‘come back’ into the fold.

In fact the whole notion of the ‘prosperity gospel’ needs to die.

When you got hate preachers like Greg Locke saying you cannot be a christian if you vote democrat… someone has to call ‘BS’ on that.

1 Like

I’d say his back biting harassment campaigns are a tad worse than raging out at random people over a difference in belief. That’s just me though.

7 Likes

Dude has severe anger issues and lashes out at anyone who dares to disagree with him. There’s a reason most people here can’t stand him and his arrogance

7 Likes