None of Alpha MM pvp issues is being addressed

My biggest issue with Precise Shot during beta testing and on live is, between Aimed Shot, Rapid Fire and Precise Shot (buffed Arcane Shots), you really do not have a lot of gcds to use other active abilities from the talents without wasting its cooldowns. Try taking serpent sting, explosive shot and/or piercing shot as your active talent abilities. Try to play around with them.

The above is not from numerical damage standpoint. It’s purely on how Precise Shot hamstring other active talent abilities from being able to be cast on cooldown.

I much rather we have a proc, like lock and load, as MM base. Imo, lock and load >>>>> precise shot when it comes to fun factor.

2 Likes

I saw Preach’s video and the gist of what the guy said about MM was “I pressed volley in a dungeon and I liked it, therefore MM is good.”

They aren’t sending their best!

For me the problem is in the trueshot window. They eat up focus that should be spent on aimed shot and waste precious GCD’s during our cooldown. Unlike basically every other dps CD in the game, trueshot only affects two of our abilities.

1 Like

This is correct, with our Master Marksmen from BFA precise shots actually makes MM trueshot WORSE in alpha. You end up sacrificing precise shot procs to do aimed shots otherwise you’ll run out of focus in trueshot.

Trueshot was changed in 8.1 with Master Marksman in mind, this new version does not functionally allow trueshot to work properly.

Its alpha things will get tweaks, but as far as having all sorts of extra utility…no is the simple answer. not every spec needs to have everything. They have slows,CCs, ints and and overall fairly mobile toolkit. are they top tier arena? no but you can watch plenty of videos of people doing really well on them. people seem to only like a spec if its currently sitting on top of a ranking chart or meter…as if most of these players are even capable of that. Play the class you like, realize it has more then one spec and improve at it. You will cream half the player base from doing that alone.

I would revise your rotation priorities? or your azerite traits? Running out of focus is something that simply doesnt happen with current MM.

Ok but its not because it lights up that it means that you “have” to use it. If youg et more dps by ignoring it, then do so. There’s no problem with precise shots in that case.

Its a quick video… not his big class either, but hes just saying that MM feels good/fun to play on the Alpha.

I can’t find any Hunter posts in the Alpha forums at all. I didn’t realize I could read the alpha forums (and even “like” posts) until you mentioned it, so thanks for pointing that out.

I spent some time trying to find some critical feedback on the forums, and found something from a Monk (which is a class I have mained in the past), and he was instantly reprimanded by a green: “Its hard to give feedback knowing this, because you don’t know what is and isn’t intended but I will say this.”

Seriously, WTF is Alpha for if it’s not used to discuss class design? The rest of the game has very little trouble with a couple notable exceptions mentioned in hundreds of other threads.

Edit: Okay. I found the thread. It would be nice if it wasn’t a single thread, but it’s probably easier to ready that way with the limited number of players. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-hunter-class-changes/490705/18 God, I really wish I could get into Alpha and look at the Hunter. I had Alpha a couple expansions ago because a friend worked for Blizzard, but he left, and it doesn’t look like my friend privileges carried over to this expansion :frowning: .

3 Likes

They get tweaked based on feedback; I’d like to see MM rocking something more than 0 percent in upper tier arena and be a rated BG asset. Squeaky for tweaky!

Although, don’t be a d-bag about it.

2 Likes

I’m speaking to alpha version of MM where Master Marksman is changed to aimed crit instead of a free arcane. I was quite clear in my original response.

I can’t tell if you are defending Mm design or what not. But it seems you are being intentionally obtuse about how the spec functions now vs in alpha. The current iteration of MM is bad, the spec is heavily flawed in having a very easy rotation followed by all of its damage coming from trueshot windows when the boss is in careful aim.

Precise shots and careful aim along with RF being a generator creates a very one dimensional spec both on live and in alpha.

Careful aim needs to be removed, RF needs to be changed in some meaningful way that opens up the spec to having more damage come from arcane or steady or something. Having aimed be the only way to buff your other attacks is horrendous design in both PvP and PvE.

Then add to that trick shots only activated at 3 targets, this leads to extremely clunky AoE. Generally bad performance due to variance in mob density during a pull (since not everything has identical health or gets damaged evenly).

MM lacks any nostalgic identity and its new identity doesn’t play or feel like a real marksman. The spec needs significant changes in order to be both fun and competitive. I can guarantee you that if they over tune MM it will be played, but it won’t be fun given the current baseline kit.

The feedback on alpha so far on the forums has been really mediocre and I hope that is not the only feedback the devs listen too.

11 Likes

you mean like how they never tweaked legion and bfa alpha MM and had to fix them both in a major patch?

7 Likes

Instead of thinking about it as “it’s alpha” think about it as “this has been under development for more than a year and it’s going to dictate how this spec plays for 2 years or more”

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHA

And here we go again. Hunters have been fed this line since Legion alpha, but nothing was ever changed. In fact, this particular commment has been cited hundreds, maybe thousands of times as an example of what Blizzard did in Legion and BfA.

Either you haven’t read any of those numerous threads or you’re trolling.

1 Like

Relax it’s only
Alpha <- we are here
Beta
Launch
The first patch
The second patch
The new alpha isn’t even out yet!

I’d guess that things are already more than 70% done if we go by past expansion release dates we’re about 4-6 months from Shadowlands release, to be honest we’re probably already too late to be giving feedback that will have any real meaning.

5 Likes

You forgot about: “We don’t even have our Artifact, Azerite, or Covenant abilities yet.”

Sometimes I want to “Like” a post, but it makes me sad.

1 Like

I believe I also forgot “it’s just pre-patch”

3 Likes

Ignoring a part of your rotation and letting procs overflow is bad design.

5 Likes

I think Aimed shot being instant is a good idea.

Wsrlocks get so much more than we do and chaos bolt hits way harder too but Aimed shot and Chaos bolt work mechanically similar.

Make Aimed shot instant OR be castable while moving. Thats the only way to give the spec a chance next xpack

1 Like

This is what I wanna know too, lol.

Just us getting BS baseline is a REALLY noice change/buff.

I do like the idea of making Aimed Shot castable while moving but incur a 50% (arbitrary number) damage penalty (and still triggers Precise Shot) if one moves while casting Aimed Shot.

This way, if you want to get full damage out of Aimed Shot, you have to standstill and you are not heavily punished if you absolutely have to move while casting Aimed Shot.

1 Like

MM (and Hunters in general) has been the master class for kiting all the way up until Legion. I’m not sure what game you have been playing if you think MM couldn’t kite in WotLK through WoD.

Two things:

1. I have zero problem kiting on either my Fire Mage or Balance Druid.
  2. It isn’t about “indefinitely.” Its about it being possible: preferably with it being more possible the more skillfully you play. That requires the class to have the tools to do so. Fire and Balance have the tools, MM does not.

What do the two kiting specs I mentioned above have that MM does not? Superior speed. We lost superior speed (AotC), and most melee gained it. That is the biggest reason we completely suck at kiting.

2 Likes

Actually saw a video of some one testing out all 3 hunter specs. I don’t know if it’s been changed since then, but they were able to equip a ranged weapon and use their melee abilities with it as well as ranged ones, so in theory surv could do a melee/range hybrid spec. Would it be viable? Who knows, but it would be interesting.